Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

Just Got A Ticket For Tinted Windows!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-05, 07:49 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DoMiNOz
i live in jersey so wen ever i go to brooklyn cops dont bother me cause they cant give a ticket to an out-of-state driver for tints

i love it

Its not true, you can have any state plate and still recieve tickets for tints.
Old 04-10-05, 07:54 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

THAT IS SO NOT TRUE!!!

i think they'd even give ticket to people out of state with pleasure rather then give instate.. 'cuz if you out state its hard for you to fight it.. especially traffic ticket where they'll say you'd have to come in..
Old 04-11-05, 05:23 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give this poor poor college student a PDA card please!!!!.. some freaking hick gave me a ticket for cell phone. when i was just pulling out from the driveway.. dammit.. he be complaining about my tint and was acting like doing me a favor for not giving me a ticket for that...
Old 04-11-05, 08:47 AM
IS300ED
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
Give this poor poor college student a PDA card please!!!!.. some freaking hick gave me a ticket for cell phone. when i was just pulling out from the driveway.. dammit.. he be complaining about my tint and was acting like doing me a favor for not giving me a ticket for that...
Where was this around? What school u go to? The police there really can't be worse than they are in my town.
Old 04-11-05, 09:34 AM
uallah
Driver School Candidate

do you guys know about them pba cards in boston? i don't think they got them where i'm at. if so it would be very lovely to have one.
Old 04-11-05, 09:35 AM
uallah
Driver School Candidate

i got 20% tint on my es300 and i'm always getting sweated.
Old 04-11-05, 09:55 AM
BigMoNYC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Little insight

FYI..... You can not get a ticket for tints if your car is registered out of state. NY doesnt have jurisdiction over other states and.... all states have different laws pertaining to the legal percentage of tint. (Confirmed with my bro inlaw/ detective) Ive also had friends with Florida plates get tickets for tints and just show up to court. The judge dismisse's them all day with out a testimony or any questions asked. Also.... if you get a ticket for tinted windows, and the officer does not use a tint reader to check the percantage of the tint... you should fight it... you can always beat those tickets.

As for cops... you always have a few rotten eggs in the bunch, they are not all out to get you. It definetly helps having a PBA / DEA / SBA card along with a small badge, show them courtesy and they should do the same.
Old 04-11-05, 09:56 AM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by uallah
i got 20% tint on my es300 and i'm always getting sweated.
i also got 20% but i wanna go darker like 5-10%. i dont really care much about getting pulled over. PBA badge is my bestfriend
Old 04-11-05, 10:08 AM
IS300ED
Rookie

Originally Posted by BigMoNYC
FYI..... You can not get a ticket for tints if your car is registered out of state. NY doesnt have jurisdiction over other states and.... all states have different laws pertaining to the legal percentage of tint. (Confirmed with my bro inlaw/ detective) Ive also had friends with Florida plates get tickets for tints and just show up to court. The judge dismisse's them all day with out a testimony or any questions asked. Also.... if you get a ticket for tinted windows, and the officer does not use a tint reader to check the percantage of the tint... you should fight it... you can always beat those tickets.

As for cops... you always have a few rotten eggs in the bunch, they are not all out to get you. It definetly helps having a PBA / DEA / SBA card along with a small badge, show them courtesy and they should do the same.
Yeah this is true. It's not that NY doesn't have jurisdiction over other states--it's that the section of the VTL regulating equipment violations does not govern vehicles that are registered in another state. If you get a ticket anyway, you can't ignore it because it can mess up your license.

As for police: I have extensive experience in contacts with the New York City Police, Nassau County Police, Suffolk County Police and the New York State Police. All have been extremely courteous, professional and kind to me in my dealings with them. I have never had a single problem with one of those agencies. I have several relatives who are police officers. Furthermore, I am supposed to start with the NYPD this July, so I am not anti-cop at all. This aside, there is a small police department (60 or so people) that patrol my town and they are the absolute worst. It is well known that they are abusive and discourteous--the "few rotten eggs" does not apply with this particular department. Rather, it is "a few good people, a lot of rotten eggs." I've never gotten any tickets from them, but they are still extremely unprofessional in their conduct.
Old 04-11-05, 10:08 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

BigMo made a good point. I have 35%/20% combo on my ES (state tint limit for CT). I often go down to NYC (all boroughs) almost every month, and I never get pulled over for tint questioning. Funny thing is, in the city I often see a handful of Benz's and Bimmers with much darker tints (15% or less), and I wonder how many times they get pulled over for that
Old 04-11-05, 10:10 AM
IS300ED
Rookie

Originally Posted by uallah
do you guys know about them pba cards in boston? i don't think they got them where i'm at. if so it would be very lovely to have one.
I've seen Massachussets State Police shields that say Family Member that look like the trooper shields, but they have to be ordered by a trooper and you have to really be related to them to get one, obviously.

I would assume Boston Police has something like cards or shields. I've heard they're good guys and do the right thing courtesy wise.
Old 04-11-05, 10:11 AM
IS300ED
Rookie

Originally Posted by ARISTO*7
i also got 20% but i wanna go darker like 5-10%. i dont really care much about getting pulled over. PBA badge is my bestfriend
5-10 is asking to get stopped man, lol. I won't be stopping cars for tints once I get on the job unless I have the boss order me to do so, but there are plenty of IMPACT rookies who need to come up with summonses and will stop cars that have extremely dark tint.
Old 04-11-05, 06:51 PM
uallah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS300ED
I've seen Massachussets State Police shields that say Family Member that look like the trooper shields, but they have to be ordered by a trooper and you have to really be related to them to get one, obviously.

I would assume Boston Police has something like cards or shields. I've heard they're good guys and do the right thing courtesy wise.
boston is okay. it really is the state troopers and suburban towns like brookline that are always in my ***.
Old 04-12-05, 06:52 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BigMoNYC
FYI..... Also.... if you get a ticket for tinted windows, and the officer does not use a tint reader to check the percantage of the tint... you should fight it... you can always beat those tickets.

I went to court a couple of years ago and told the judge he didn't use a tint meter.. The cop said "Through my 10 years as a police officer, I had good judgement to know those tints on his car is illegal".. The judge bought that load of crap.
Old 04-12-05, 02:21 PM
IS300ED
Rookie

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
I went to court a couple of years ago and told the judge he didn't use a tint meter.. The cop said "Through my 10 years as a police officer, I had good judgement to know those tints on his car is illegal".. The judge bought that load of crap.
Did you have an attorney present? An attorney probably could have ripped the cop; I've seen it happen a few times in TVB in the City.

Quick Reply: Just Got A Ticket For Tinted Windows!