Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

Just Got A Ticket For Tinted Windows!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-05, 07:14 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS300ED
Did you have an attorney present? An attorney probably could have ripped the cop; I've seen it happen a few times in TVB in the City.
I was thinking of that, but even if I would of won, wouldn't the attorney's fee be as much if not more as the tickets itself?

I would understand getting an attorney if the cop ticketed you doing 90 at a 55.. but tickets for tints is more about annoyance.. I remember one cop said to me a few years back..(this same cop ticketed me for tints 2 times prior).. He said "Next time I see u with tints, I will take away your car." I constitute that as a threat, he was looking at me like I just did 100mph in a one way street.. Only this cop really pissed me off... I don't know if a cop can legally take away your car because of your tints...

People told me you can go to court and say this cop has been harrassing you by singling you out for tickets... but the thing is, I am technically breaking the law so he can give me as many times as he wants to.. so there is nothing we can really do , only to hope the PBA card will come through for us.
Old 04-12-05, 08:30 PM
IS300ED
Rookie

Yeah, for a tint ticket I honestly don't believe its worth it for attorneys fees. A tint violation is an equipment violation and I haven't seen any insurance company ever touch someones rates for equipment violations really. Tint tickets are only $55 I think in NY.

You can't impound someones car for tinted windows. Next time someone threatens you with that, just say to him, "have the patrol supervisor respond and let's see if he agrees." Guaranteed he will cut you loose.

You can make a harassment case against individual cops but you need to get an attorney to do it and involve the Internal Affairs Bureau of the department that the officer works for.

What department was the guy who said he wanted to take your car for tints working for? NYPD? The patrol guide doesn't allow an impound under that circumstance.
Old 04-13-05, 05:20 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Yeah, for a tint ticket I honestly don't believe its worth it for attorneys fees. A tint violation is an equipment violation and I haven't seen any insurance company ever touch someones rates for equipment violations really. Tint tickets are only $55 I think in NY.

You can't impound someones car for tinted windows. Next time someone threatens you with that, just say to him, "have the patrol supervisor respond and let's see if he agrees." Guaranteed he will cut you loose.

You can make a harassment case against individual cops but you need to get an attorney to do it and involve the Internal Affairs Bureau of the department that the officer works for.

What department was the guy who said he wanted to take your car for tints working for? NYPD? The patrol guide doesn't allow an impound under that circumstance.

It was the 68pct.. Yeah he is NYPD, I am not making judgement on him but when u see him, u know he is crooked/racist. I was thinking of calling CCRB... but how much pull does that have? I know you get a complaint on the cop's record, but wouldn't that just **** him off even more and then he will tell his cop buddies to be on the lookout for me then?
Old 04-13-05, 08:19 AM
IS300ED
Rookie

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
It was the 68pct.. Yeah he is NYPD, I am not making judgement on him but when u see him, u know he is crooked/racist. I was thinking of calling CCRB... but how much pull does that have? I know you get a complaint on the cop's record, but wouldn't that just **** him off even more and then he will tell his cop buddies to be on the lookout for me then?
Cops hate CCRB. It's run by a bunch of liberal civilian-hippies fresh out of college usually.
The thing about CCRB's is even if they are marked "unfounded," it still remains on the officer's record and he has to explain it if he wants to go anywhere else on the job. Like if you want to go into Highway or ESU, or a detective squad you meet with a boss who looks at your file and asks about every complaint.

The New York City Police department is guided by something called the Patrol Guide, or PG for short. It is thousands of pages. One such section is that you must be courteous at all times to civilians. That includes not threatening people obviously. Violations of the patrol guide can result in loss of vacation days, a command discipline, etc.

Because of the damage a CCRB can do, I would honestly let it go right now unless the guy starts in again with you. You have a legit PBA card and he's still not showing you any respect?
Old 04-13-05, 09:44 AM
mktbully
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IS300...what town do you live in?
Garden city, Glen Cove?
Old 04-13-05, 10:25 AM
IS300ED
Rookie

Originally Posted by mktbully
IS300...what town do you live in?
Garden city, Glen Cove?
I'm in Port Washington. The Garden City PD and the Glen Cove PD are good guys.
Old 04-13-05, 12:38 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Because of the damage a CCRB can do, I would honestly let it go right now unless the guy starts in again with you. You have a legit PBA card and he's still not showing you any respect?

yep, he still gave me the tickets.. I showed him PBA cards from 1998-present (like 5) and he still gave me tickets.. I think he wanted to "flex" his power
Old 04-13-05, 01:53 PM
IS300ED
Rookie

yep, he still gave me the tickets.. I showed him PBA cards from 1998-present (like 5) and he still gave me tickets.. I think he wanted to "flex" his power
That's total bull****. Are they legit PBA cards--IE: you didn't buy them off Ebay? An actual officer signed the cards? If so, he/she should have been able to handle it. The cops in the city don't stand for that crap.
Old 04-13-05, 05:04 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Patrolmen (not state troopers, just local municipal cops) in northern NJ *START* at about $60k per year.

Anyone know if police can issue you a ticket for tints if you have an out-of-state plate? For example, can you get pulled over for tints and issued a citation if your car has North Carolina plates?

Thanks,
-Brian.
Old 04-13-05, 05:21 PM
IS300ED
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoogieBoogie
Patrolmen (not state troopers, just local municipal cops) in northern NJ *START* at about $60k per year.

Anyone know if police can issue you a ticket for tints if you have an out-of-state plate? For example, can you get pulled over for tints and issued a citation if your car has North Carolina plates?

Thanks,
-Brian.
State Police starts in the 40's here, Nassau and Suffolk County cops are paid well too. A lot of times people operate under the assumption that police officers are not entitled to make a decent salary because of the nature of their work (blue collar), however, they fail to take into account that the cost of living in a place such as Long Island is extremely high, and something like $90,000 only goes so far. What the NYPD is paid is an absolute disgrace.

For out of state registrations, the NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law equipment section (375), with respect to tints, does not apply. It's the same rationale that some states do not require front plates be displayed, and NY does, and obviously you do not have to display your front plate if driving in NY if you are from out of state.
Old 04-13-05, 06:10 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

For out of state registrations, the NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law equipment section (375), with respect to tints, does not apply. It's the same rationale that some states do not require front plates be displayed, and NY does, and obviously you do not have to display your front plate if driving in NY if you are from out of state.
This is very interesting... If you have NJ, penn or CT etc plates you CAN be ticketed by a cop in NY , BUT it will be thrown out in court everytime? Just trying to get it right as what ur saying...

thanks.

ps.. yes it was a legit PBA card(up to date one at that time too).. Also seems like once January 1 20xx , the previous year PBA cards does jack..
Old 04-13-05, 06:35 PM
IS300ED
Rookie

This is very interesting... If you have NJ, penn or CT etc plates you CAN be ticketed by a cop in NY , BUT it will be thrown out in court everytime? Just trying to get it right as what ur saying...

thanks.

ps.. yes it was a legit PBA card(up to date one at that time too).. Also seems like once January 1 20xx , the previous year PBA cards does jack..
It's all how you carry yourself really. Not all cops have given out the new cards by 1/1. The city PBA delegates can be slow getting the cards to their guys. The right thing is to honor the previous years cards for a reasonable time thereafter the new year.

You couldn't speak to your friend/relative on the job about this officer?
Old 04-13-05, 07:26 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

It's all how you carry yourself really. Not all cops have given out the new cards by 1/1. The city PBA delegates can be slow getting the cards to their guys. The right thing is to honor the previous years cards for a reasonable time thereafter the new year.

You couldn't speak to your friend/relative on the job about this officer?

The problem was he had just lost his wife to cancer and it wasn't the proper time to ask him to do me this favor and contact this officer..

Also, I was always confused about something.. Cops get a certain # of PBA cards .. I see some people with a small shield with the cop's badge # on it, how many of those do cops get?
Old 04-13-05, 07:50 PM
IS300ED
Rookie

You mean the small mini-shields? An officer can order as many as they want usually. They give them to family members generally.
Old 04-14-05, 12:28 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

It's all how you carry yourself really. Not all cops have given out the new cards by 1/1.
It's definetly about how you carry yourself. Even if you have a "card" you still have to show respect to the officer and talk nice to him. I always put my car in park, turn on the interior light, put my hands on the dash, and wait for the officer to be by the window before removing my seatbelt. You have to make him feel comfortable to approach you.

In cases like this, after they ticket you even with a card, they usually ask your friend on the force to contact them the next day before they put the ticket into processing. I think that's how it worked unless it's different now.

Ed

Quick Reply: Just Got A Ticket For Tinted Windows!