Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

Just Got A Ticket For Tinted Windows!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-05, 07:38 AM
mktbully
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS300ED
I'm in Port Washington. The Garden City PD and the Glen Cove PD are good guys.
all i can say is the glen cove judge likes to bust the ***** of out of towners.

well i got a tint ticket in GC some time back. i guess it was low on quota or something because he just finished w/ another guy (tint ticket) and he caught up w/ me at the light. i even had my windows down and he asked me to roll them up so he can check w/ the meter. pulled the tint off and had the 5th precient guys look at it and they signed off on it. the comment they made when they looked at it...."i guess those guys in GC have nothing else better to do"
Old 04-14-05, 09:54 AM
IS300ED
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
It's definetly about how you carry yourself. Even if you have a "card" you still have to show respect to the officer and talk nice to him. I always put my car in park, turn on the interior light, put my hands on the dash, and wait for the officer to be by the window before removing my seatbelt. You have to make him feel comfortable to approach you.

In cases like this, after they ticket you even with a card, they usually ask your friend on the force to contact them the next day before they put the ticket into processing. I think that's how it worked unless it's different now.

Ed
Yep, the right thing to do is to hold onto the ticket before dropping it into the box at the desk and get a PBA delegate involved. But, my relatives on the job who have 20+ years as cops are VERY old school cops and have taught me that you need to do the right thing by other cops.
Old 04-14-05, 09:57 AM
IS300ED
Rookie

Originally Posted by mktbully
all i can say is the glen cove judge likes to bust the ***** of out of towners.

well i got a tint ticket in GC some time back. i guess it was low on quota or something because he just finished w/ another guy (tint ticket) and he caught up w/ me at the light. i even had my windows down and he asked me to roll them up so he can check w/ the meter. pulled the tint off and had the 5th precient guys look at it and they signed off on it. the comment they made when they looked at it...."i guess those guys in GC have nothing else better to do"
As a general rule of thumb, the Nassau County cops don't really get along with the village cops in Nassau, so that would explain the nothing better to do comment, lol. But, I never had a problem with Glen Cove guys and know a couple of them; its my understanding that most were on "the big job"--the NYPD and then rolled over. As I said throughout this thread, the absolute worst police department in Nassau is the Port Washington PD. Rogue, discourteous and unprofessional--ask any other cop in Nassau if they have heard good things about them.

Thats kind of gay to chase you to a light just to grab you for tints. As I said in a previous post, my uncle is a Nassau cop and he never stops cars for tint. I guess the guy wanted some activitiy.
Old 04-14-05, 01:51 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

IS300ED, my friend's father is a retired cop and he told me if a cop ever disrespects u in any kind of way is to tell him "let me speak to your patrol supervisor".. He said by saying this, it usually calms them down...
Old 04-14-05, 02:30 PM
IS300ED
Rookie

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
IS300ED, my friend's father is a retired cop and he told me if a cop ever disrespects u in any kind of way is to tell him "let me speak to your patrol supervisor".. He said by saying this, it usually calms them down...
Yep. I had to say this once to one of the fabulous "cops" in my town and at the same time I had to threaten to get the Nassau County Police to the scene because the guy wouldn't get out of my face. I was standing on a sidewalk and the guy asked me to come up to him because he didn't like something with my car which was parked and off.

The guy went off on a tirade, delivering a sermon to me and since I wasn't being arrested, I didn't have to take it and let him know so. I must have told him three or four times to get the supervisor, and he only stopped when I took my Nextel out and told him I was going to have the Nassau County Police respond.

That particular officer hasn't bothered me since.
Old 04-15-05, 08:38 AM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

This is some great info. I never knew about the "let me speak to your patrol supervisor". I've always been the one to just shut up and take the crap that most cops throw at me because hey, I don't need any more tickets.
Old 04-16-05, 07:08 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Thomas C
This is some great info. I never knew about the "let me speak to your patrol supervisor". I've always been the one to just shut up and take the crap that most cops throw at me because hey, I don't need any more tickets.
You have to give cops respect, but ONCE they start disrespecting YOU, then you have to start saying things like these..
Old 04-16-05, 07:11 PM
IS300ED
Rookie

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
You have to give cops respect, but ONCE they start disrespecting YOU, then you have to start saying things like these..
Amen to that...like I said, I've never had a problem except for the officers in my town.
Old 04-24-05, 09:54 PM
maaloxx
Pole Position

Fight every ticket you get if you can't get out of it! There's a federal investigation pending on the extremely high amount of traffic convictions in urban area's, NYC being one of them! Now, to try to cover there asses, they are tossing most of them. or cutting the amount and dismissing the points
Old 04-24-05, 11:04 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maaloxx
Fight every ticket you get if you can't get out of it! There's a federal investigation pending on the extremely high amount of traffic convictions in urban area's, NYC being one of them! Now, to try to cover there asses, they are tossing most of them. or cutting the amount and dismissing the points
really?? i wish if would be the case.. but i kind of doubt it..
Old 04-25-05, 07:06 AM
IS300ED
Rookie

Originally Posted by maaloxx
umm...and what is your source of information on this? New York State Department of Motor Vehicles records reflect that in the State of New York, the metropolitan area has the highest number of licensed operators and registered vehicles. Therefore, it is obvious that this is where the highest number of traffic summonses are issued.

As for convictions, New York City and Suffolk has something called AAB or TVB. It is run by DMV and generally speaking, you will be convicted unless you have an attorney who knows how to jump down someones throat and twist their words around. Conviction rates in NYS DMV courts are very high and plea bargaining generally isn't allowed.

This is the first time I am hearing of a federal investigation because of a "lot of convictions."
Old 04-25-05, 05:10 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

mannn guys that aint shhhhhhhhhyt... lol I got a sc3 now but my last car was a 95 hyundai sonata lol, dont laugh, well go ahead lol but ne way it was silver with 35% in the front and 30 in tha back. The car had rims, non chrome and it was clean and waxed. I was on the fdr on my way to the gwb to sell the car in jerzee where there was a spot check wen i got off the exit after i made a wrong turn. So im sitting there and Im sayin to mahself watch they pull me over. And they did, mind you my car is registered in ga since i go to school there but i have a ny liscene. So of course they give me a ticket which im fighting and they keep pushing the court date back so whatever! However.... i see the new range with tint darker than mine with a bunch of buisness men in it (white) im a 20yo black guy. Then i see a new s500 with tint drive by and im pissed cuz they let them go but stop me for a ticket. My mom bf car got tint n they aint stop him n they was following me! what kinda mess is this nypd... i should sue and have nyc pay the rest of mah damn tuition. my heart jumps and races and i get paniky wen i hear sirens and the infamous "whop whop" of the police car. WHO THINKS I GOTTA CASE? lol

ps. it was the same day i sold the car! aint that sum bullll skit?
Old 04-25-05, 05:25 PM
IS300ED
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC3005SPD1
mannn guys that aint shhhhhhhhhyt... lol I got a sc3 now but my last car was a 95 hyundai sonata lol, dont laugh, well go ahead lol but ne way it was silver with 35% in the front and 30 in tha back. The car had rims, non chrome and it was clean and waxed. I was on the fdr on my way to the gwb to sell the car in jerzee where there was a spot check wen i got off the exit after i made a wrong turn. So im sitting there and Im sayin to mahself watch they pull me over. And they did, mind you my car is registered in ga since i go to school there but i have a ny liscene. So of course they give me a ticket which im fighting and they keep pushing the court date back so whatever! However.... i see the new range with tint darker than mine with a bunch of buisness men in it (white) im a 20yo black guy. Then i see a new s500 with tint drive by and im pissed cuz they let them go but stop me for a ticket. My mom bf car got tint n they aint stop him n they was following me! what kinda mess is this nypd... i should sue and have nyc pay the rest of mah damn tuition. my heart jumps and races and i get paniky wen i hear sirens and the infamous "whop whop" of the police car. WHO THINKS I GOTTA CASE? lol

ps. it was the same day i sold the car! aint that sum bullll skit?
Wait, did you have Georgia plates on the car that you got the ticket for tinted windows for? If so, the New York State VTL section that applies to tint does not apply to out of state registered vehicles. That's all you need to state and the thing will be tossed out. The tinted window regulation in Section 375 of the New York State VTL governs vehicles possessing registration in New York State. When you say "they keep pushing the court date back" what do you mean? The officer is only allowed two continuances before the judge has to dismiss it. Say, "I've already been here and I want it dismissed now."

As for making a racial profiling case, good luck. It'll be your word against theirs. I'm not saying you're wrong or it doesn't happen, but it's very hard to prove.
Old 04-25-05, 05:35 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

yep the car had ga plates with everything in order. I was on my way to selling the car that day. I probally wont make a racial profiling case but i feel that its really messed up when people that may have or look like they have money can bypass the police but people like me especially a young col student gets harrased. it happened in sept 04 and i had a date for court for march then i got a letter saying its pushed back to april and i just got one more sayin its in june so i dont know whats going on. Now i have a sc but i havent driven it yet i want to see what happens to me wen i come back to ny after school.
Old 04-25-05, 05:37 PM
IS300ED
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC3005SPD1
yep the car had ga plates with everything in order. I was on my way to selling the car that day. I probally wont make a racial profiling case but i feel that its really messed up when people that may have or look like they have money can bypass the police but people like me especially a young col student gets harrased. it happened in sept 04 and i had a date for court for march then i got a letter saying its pushed back to april and i just got one more sayin its in june so i dont know whats going on. Now i have a sc but i havent driven it yet i want to see what happens to me wen i come back to ny after school.
Well, I've never had any problems with cops in the city, but I have several friends who have been harassed for some reason or another.

As for this ticket, if you point out that the car had Georgia registration, then you'll be fine since each state regulates equipment (front plates, tints, etc.) in its respective vehicle laws.

Quick Reply: Just Got A Ticket For Tinted Windows!