Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

question regarding NY area

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-05, 01:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default question regarding NY area

hey guys,

it's very possible that me and my wife will be visiting NY area for independence day weekend, from 7/3 till 7/6, so i would like to get some suggestions from you guys on places to visit and where to stay.

we want to spend time on manhattan (business district), time square, empire building, china town, statue of liberty.... and i suppose there will be firework on monday somewhere? how much time do you guys think i will need to spend at those places?

and in terms of hotel stay, do you guys have any good suggestion? we don't need anything super luxury, we are not in hotel most of the day anyway. we just want some place that's safe, close to transportation, and relatively close to places we need to visit.

any information would be appreciated guys!!!!! nothing beats asking information from the locals
Old 06-06-05, 05:14 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
hey guys,

it's very possible that me and my wife will be visiting NY area for independence day weekend, from 7/3 till 7/6, so i would like to get some suggestions from you guys on places to visit and where to stay.

we want to spend time on manhattan (business district), time square, empire building, china town, statue of liberty.... and i suppose there will be firework on monday somewhere? how much time do you guys think i will need to spend at those places?
i could see you spending a day in the city and half a day at the statue of liberty
and in terms of hotel stay, do you guys have any good suggestion? we don't need anything super luxury, we are not in hotel most of the day anyway. we just want some place that's safe, close to transportation, and relatively close to places we need to visit.
hmmm the W hotel is very nice http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

any information would be appreciated guys!!!!! nothing beats asking information from the locals [/QUOTE]
Old 06-06-05, 08:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

so 1 1/2 day and i am done with NY?
Old 06-06-05, 10:19 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Henry, so you and your wife will be in the Big Apple during the holiday weekend? That sounds exciting! Mine and I may also plan to be in Manhattan during that weekend, but we haven't figured out the firm details yet. I'll definitely let you know as I know more info later on. Will this be your first time in NYC?

Oh yeah, you'll need more than a few days to capture half of the hot spots around the city
Old 06-06-05, 04:35 PM
ddarbs55
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HENRY,
if you're going to even THINK about looking at fireworks, plan on spending all day
downtown (lower manhattan). people line up in the morning for a good spot. these
are the fireworks you see on TV for NYC. you can see them from all of lower manhattan
and even from the Jersey side (on the other side of Lady Liberty). just be prepared to be
sardined though - it gets really crowded. consider that a day to stay
downtown and do canal street with all it's shops. Chinatown is also in the area.
South St Seaport is NYC's version of Fishermans Wharf and i believe it's a pretty good
spot for the fireworks. it will be closed but you're also in the area of Wall St.
Midtown Manhattan is the place to stay though. transportation around NY in the
summer is no big deal. if you aren't afraid (no real reason to be) you can catch a
subway to anywhere. a cab is can be pricey but you'll get to where you want to go
the quickest. i NEVER take the bus. :-)
Midtown is where you'll find Times Square. in the area are the major studio's, NBC
(with their window which you see people acting like idiots to get on TV ),
Rockefeller Center (where they do the Christmas Tree), CBS, and the like.
The Late Show (Letterman) is off 8th Ave just a short walk North as well as Radio City
(a bit east).
Midtown is covered with Broadway so i don't even have to say anything more there.
I don't have a good feel for hotels, but my wife and i are like you and you're wife. we usually
just want to crash someplace, get clean and then head back out so a Motel 6 works for us.
of course all the glitz places are in midtown as well. a bit northeast you'll find the Waldorf, etc.
i'm sure there's more that i'm leaving out but that's the gist of it. during the work week you
don't want to be taking a cab between ~5PM - ~6:30. it's utter gridlock in midtown. best bet
is to take the subway to get around - or just hoof it.
hope this helps a bit. you're gonna' love the city. just don't bring your car!!!
-dave.
Old 06-06-05, 08:05 PM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

The W Hotel is awesome!!!
Old 06-07-05, 01:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by LexRoc
The W Hotel is awesome!!!
wow so we get two votes on that huh?

it's close to places and transportations?
Old 06-07-05, 01:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by lexusk8
Hey Henry, so you and your wife will be in the Big Apple during the holiday weekend? That sounds exciting! Mine and I may also plan to be in Manhattan during that weekend, but we haven't figured out the firm details yet. I'll definitely let you know as I know more info later on. Will this be your first time in NYC?

Oh yeah, you'll need more than a few days to capture half of the hot spots around the city
definitely let me know doug!!!!!! though it's short stay i don't mind meeting up with some memebers
Old 06-07-05, 01:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ddarbs55
HENRY,
if you're going to even THINK about looking at fireworks, plan on spending all day
downtown (lower manhattan). people line up in the morning for a good spot. these
are the fireworks you see on TV for NYC. you can see them from all of lower manhattan
and even from the Jersey side (on the other side of Lady Liberty). just be prepared to be
sardined though - it gets really crowded. consider that a day to stay
downtown and do canal street with all it's shops. Chinatown is also in the area.
South St Seaport is NYC's version of Fishermans Wharf and i believe it's a pretty good
spot for the fireworks. it will be closed but you're also in the area of Wall St.
Midtown Manhattan is the place to stay though. transportation around NY in the
summer is no big deal. if you aren't afraid (no real reason to be) you can catch a
subway to anywhere. a cab is can be pricey but you'll get to where you want to go
the quickest. i NEVER take the bus. :-)
Midtown is where you'll find Times Square. in the area are the major studio's, NBC
(with their window which you see people acting like idiots to get on TV ),
Rockefeller Center (where they do the Christmas Tree), CBS, and the like.
The Late Show (Letterman) is off 8th Ave just a short walk North as well as Radio City
(a bit east).
Midtown is covered with Broadway so i don't even have to say anything more there.
I don't have a good feel for hotels, but my wife and i are like you and you're wife. we usually
just want to crash someplace, get clean and then head back out so a Motel 6 works for us.
of course all the glitz places are in midtown as well. a bit northeast you'll find the Waldorf, etc.
i'm sure there's more that i'm leaving out but that's the gist of it. during the work week you
don't want to be taking a cab between ~5PM - ~6:30. it's utter gridlock in midtown. best bet
is to take the subway to get around - or just hoof it.
hope this helps a bit. you're gonna' love the city. just don't bring your car!!!
-dave.
thank you SOOOO much for the info dave!!!!!! getting more and more idea.... been reading a bit about the city these days and it's still confusing at best, haha....

subway is no problem for us, in fact we WANT to try it, and use it a lot for sure (we are both from hong kong and subway isn't something new)
Old 06-08-05, 02:14 AM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

if you're taking the trains around town, I would get a hotel around the 4,5,6 train lines (green line). This train will pretty much get you to all the tourist sites.
You havent said anything about places to eat. If you're interested, I'm a big foodie and could recommend a few places.
PS: You must have a greys papaya hotdog when visiting NYC.
Old 06-08-05, 08:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by sputniknyc
if you're taking the trains around town, I would get a hotel around the 4,5,6 train lines (green line). This train will pretty much get you to all the tourist sites.
You havent said anything about places to eat. If you're interested, I'm a big foodie and could recommend a few places.
i am all for eating man, both me and my wife LOVES to eat!!!!!! in fact we were talking yesterday and we have NO idea about what and where to eat yet. for sure we will try out chinatown. but where else? all suggestions appreciated

and thanks for the tips on the trains
Old 06-08-05, 10:20 AM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sputniknyc
yes you must have greys papaya.
Old 06-08-05, 10:36 AM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Let me know what type of food you would like to try. There's places I know that will make your knees buckle.
I'll trade my info for your rims.
Lets make a deal!
Old 06-08-05, 12:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

so greys papaya, that's a store? chain store? need to make sure i can get info

and about food, we are for evreything but mexican, my wife doesn't eat mexican. probably want to try all the new yorker food. so maybe american, steak, seafood, etc...? or if you guys know any particular ones that you like as long as it's not like 150 bucks a dish

right now we are eyeing on the willington hotel, i think it's on 55th and 7th, need to double check. wife is checking on the train routes and see if it's close to the green lines. from what i read it's very close to broadway / time sq.

w hotel is definitely awesome, coz' its price is pretty "awesome" too

oh and btw, i will trade my wheels no problem, but i will have to charge you 6k for the private delivery, how about that?

Last edited by rominl; 06-08-05 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-08-05, 01:28 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

hahahaha!
well then your greys papaya hotdog will be a 150 bucks a dog.
Greys papaya is over on 8th street and 6th avenue in the village. Open 24 hours.

Quick Reply: question regarding NY area