Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

interesting E-Z PASS info

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-05, 09:44 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interesting E-Z PASS info

Many of you may already know this, but I did a search and didn't seem to find this info anywhere else, so I thought I would post this for everyone's info:

E-Z Pass is the unified automatic toll-paying system used throughout the Eastern United States. From what I can tell, it is valid in (from northeast to southwest) Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and Illinois.

What you may not know is that each state has a different fee structure in place, for the EXACT SAME E-Z Pass product. For example, NY charges a $1 monthly usage fee, and NH charges a one-time $25 administrative fee when you first get the pass.

Now here is the beauty of it. You can order the E-Z Pass FROM ANY STATE. So, if your state charges a fee of some sort, just buy from another state! It is completely legal, and you get the exact same product. The only difference is that there are certain state-specific commuter plans that you can only get by signing up in specific states. But, if you're not going to use those plans, then you can sign up in whatever state you want.

I live in NY but just signed up for a MD E-Z Pass account. I think that MD, DE, and WV are states with no administrative fees, monthly fees, or other charges of any kind. I know it's not a lot of money, but if I'm saving the state money by using an automated system instead of an actual human toll-collector, I'd prefer that the state not charge me for the privilege. You all may know this already, but I was surprised to discover this, so I wanted to let everyone know.
Old 11-17-05, 12:51 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very nice info..thanks for sharing I need E-Z pass and with this info, I too can save
Old 11-17-05, 01:48 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

good stuff. I went to sign up for EZpass as well, but NJ uses different plans. I just want the dam thing. But I might try the out of state thing.
Old 11-17-05, 03:51 PM
YZFR1
Driver

interesting..........................
Old 11-17-05, 04:23 PM
BobsGX
Racer

I agree. All of a sudden, NY EZ Pass started charging a buck a month. Even though its not much, I am definitely going to look into an EZ Pass from another state. Thanks for the great info. Now I just have to find a state that doesn't charge any fees.
Old 11-17-05, 04:35 PM
BobsGX
Racer

So far, I see that MD and WV charge a $10.00 deposit for each tag. DE charges $25.00. I guess no state is free.

Last edited by BobsGX; 11-17-05 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-17-05, 05:45 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
I agree. All of a sudden, NY EZ Pass started charging a buck a month. Even though its not much, I am definitely going to look into an EZ Pass from another state. Thanks for the great info. Now I just have to find a state that doesn't charge any fees.
multiply that dollar by a couple hondred thousand
Originally Posted by magneto112
good stuff. I went to sign up for EZpass as well, but NJ uses different plans. I just want the dam thing. But I might try the out of state thing.
i have the NJ and dont pay any extra, just replenishes the card automatically when it gets low
Old 11-18-05, 12:45 AM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice info. wowwwww thanks
Old 11-19-05, 08:57 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BobsGX
So far, I see that MD and WV charge a $10.00 deposit for each tag. DE charges $25.00. I guess no state is free.
I saw that too, but here's the thing - if you read the fine print, they only charge the deposit if you pay with cash or check. If you pay with credit card, which I definitely would do anyway (don't have to mail it in, easier to cancel payments if they mess something up, plus you get miles/points/cashback/whatever), then you don't pay anything.

Also, even if you pay with cash or credit card, it is a REFUNDABE deposit that you get back as soon as you return the E-Z Pass tag in good condition.
Old 11-19-05, 12:00 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

EZ-Pass was my savior when I lived in CT and had to travel to NYC and parts of NJ and Mass. for weekend leisure trips. I can't stand seeing the cash only lanes literally backed up for 1/4 mile, and the drivers not thinking of signing up for EZ-Pass. Sure it's not TOTALLY free (as someone has stated for example, you get charged for $1 admin fee per month), but time is money in my book
Old 11-19-05, 01:03 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

those lines are even more crazy on weekends and holidays
Old 11-19-05, 08:38 PM
BobsGX
Racer

The $1.00 service fee every month for the NY EZPass is supposedly only charged when you use the Port Authority Bridges and Tunnels and the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority crossings. What gets me is I haven't been on any of those crossings for at least a year and yet they still charge me a dollar a month. The closest one I use to NYC is the Kingston-Rhinecliff bridge. I think I will call them next week and ask why.
Old 11-21-05, 08:03 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Let me know if you find out about that BobsGX. I thought the $1.00 was charged if you are a NY E-Z Pass holder regardless of your usage, but let me know what they tell you.
Old 11-21-05, 01:50 PM
BobsGX
Racer

They say it applies to the MTA Bridges & Tunnels Authority, Port Authority and the NYS Thruway agency accounts. Sounds to me like everyone who has a NY EZ Pass gets hit for the $1.00 fee each month. They even charge you if you don't use the EZ Pass during the month.
They did say they are getting a lot of complaints about the monthly service fee. Sounds like its time to start complaining to the MTA and to EZ Pass. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 11-21-05, 09:44 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Great.. I got an I-Pass for nothing. Now EZ-Pass is accepted in Illinois starting September 26, 2005.

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: interesting E-Z PASS info