Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

MAC MINI - CAR PC INSTALL..about to start it...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-05, 08:29 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bro, you KNOW we have to put DTV in your car!!! Man! Football on the go!!!
Old 12-06-05, 08:38 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Bro, you KNOW we have to put DTV in your car!!! Man! Football on the go!!!
LOL.. umm not for that amount of money...
Old 12-06-05, 08:58 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We'll fab something up! I have an unused DTV dish at home !
Old 12-06-05, 09:41 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Carlos,

Thanks for the info. I have the oem Nav in my and it's dvd based. I have the playstation 2 I can throw that under the seat somewhere and probably put some monitors in the back, lol, not trying to go the full computer route (my girl would never see me, lol, wanna act up, see ya, car ****) but trying to see if it's going to be worth investing half the carpc amount to get it working.
Old 12-06-05, 10:33 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Carlos,

Thanks for the info. I have the oem Nav in my and it's dvd based. I have the playstation 2 I can throw that under the seat somewhere and probably put some monitors in the back, lol, not trying to go the full computer route (my girl would never see me, lol, wanna act up, see ya, car ****) but trying to see if it's going to be worth investing half the carpc amount to get it working.
you will still need to go with an aftermarket amp, if you were to hook up the ps2... thats why i said for that you might as well replace it with something that has alot more options..

check these if you stil want the oem..

http://www.mobilevideo4less.com/Merc...ode=NAV-V300LX
http://www.avelectronic.com/NavigationVid-Switcher.htm
http://www.visorview.com/navigation_system.html
http://www.gnetcanada.com/navvideo-m...NET_RGB_TOYLEX
- this is the cheapest one i found $350 without remote/379 with remote...
http://www.vaistech.com/home.html - see the bottom..
http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...eo+Accessories

Last edited by GSoup; 12-06-05 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-06-05, 01:41 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

carlos..........
we all brothers here bro! i kno we have our diffrences but ........... LETS SQUASH DAT!

YOU KNO WHAT I MEAN

boyz are boyz..................... WE ALL FAMILY OUT HERE
Old 12-06-05, 04:06 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carlos,

WHich unit did you use to get dvd to play on your oem NAV? Also which dvd player are you using and what are the pros and cons to your setup?
Thanks in advance
Old 12-06-05, 04:54 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

im down to help anytime carlos. ive never worked on car audio but i want something like this
Old 12-06-05, 07:10 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sputniknyc
WHich unit did you use to get dvd to play on your oem NAV? Also which dvd player are you using and what are the pros and cons to your setup?
Thanks in advance
hey bill.. the gs i think between 98-00 were hard drive based after that they used dvd...i think thats what he meant.
Old 12-06-05, 07:12 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sha4000
im down to help anytime carlos. ive never worked on car audio but i want something like this
thanks for the offer

i'm doing some more research to see if i do the dock myself because several other people have done their own docks way cheaper than the one that they offer in japan...
Old 12-06-05, 07:31 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSoup
hey bill.. the gs i think between 98-00 were hard drive based after that they used dvd...i think thats what he meant.
That's exactly correct.
I didnt know the 01+ dvd nav system could play dvd movie media without any modifications.
Learn something new on here everyday.
Old 12-06-05, 08:45 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sputniknyc
That's exactly correct.
I didnt know the 01+ dvd nav system could play dvd movie media without any modifications.
Learn something new on here everyday.
i don't think it can play dvd movies its a dvd rom drive but for data not media.
Old 12-07-05, 07:52 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bill,

Carlos is right, it needs modifications to be able to play movies, but there's a guy in Bklyn who is saying he can get it done for $250 with your own DVD player (in my case Playstation 2) so I'm just wondering why more people haven't done this mod. Carlos has suggested a few sites that are around the $400 and up range so I don't know what this guy in BK is working with. I'm going to go and visit him and see what his setup is but I was just trying to ask around to see why more of us with oem nav systems haven't done it (or talked about it much) if the price is coming down to the $250 range. And I'm sure with some of the genuises here (Aliga, Carlos, etc), it can't be that hard of a mod. But like Carlos mentioned, if it's going to cost 5 or 6 hundred to get a nice setup then I'd rather throw the other $400 in there and do the mini pc too.
Old 12-07-05, 09:18 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Well been doing my homework... I'm about to start ordering parts (usb hubs/cables..etc,,)...I will most likely start this project after xmas because of the family and so forth...

The dock i'm going to build myself out of aluminum most likely...so i will definitely be posting pictures regarding my progress. The one in japan is way too expensive...plus i've been speaking with some guys on another forum(another website) that have done it and they've built it on their own with success.

My goal is to install it where the disc changer is in the glove compartment. the mac mini is 2.5" tall(about 1 din height) so it should work. I'm also going to install the usb/firewire hub there also. I'm going to put the touchscreen of course where the radio is at now and i'll figure where to put the gps receiver and the fm receiver somewhere down the line. I also found a firewire device that allows me to get 5.1 dolby surround sound out of the mac($100)..i may have to put a center speaker somewhere... feel free to give any input or suggestions . Once mine is done and anyone else wants to do it let me know.
Old 12-07-05, 09:26 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Bill,

Carlos is right, it needs modifications to be able to play movies, but there's a guy in Bklyn who is saying he can get it done for $250 with your own DVD player (in my case Playstation 2) so I'm just wondering why more people haven't done this mod. Carlos has suggested a few sites that are around the $400 and up range so I don't know what this guy in BK is working with. I'm going to go and visit him and see what his setup is but I was just trying to ask around to see why more of us with oem nav systems haven't done it (or talked about it much) if the price is coming down to the $250 range. And I'm sure with some of the genuises here (Aliga, Carlos, etc), it can't be that hard of a mod. But like Carlos mentioned, if it's going to cost 5 or 6 hundred to get a nice setup then I'd rather throw the other $400 in there and do the mini pc too.

that would be nice... yeah find out from the guy..i would love to check that out...

the best deal of the ones i gave u is this one
http://www.gnetcanada.com/navvideo-m...NET_RGB_TOYLEX

because it allows you to have 2 inputs (rear view camera?? + PS2) and its $350. Its also plug and play. It comes with the harnesses to plug into the oem unit. It works on all Lexus models except the 05-06 ES.

Quick Reply: MAC MINI - CAR PC INSTALL..about to start it...