Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

MAC MINI - CAR PC INSTALL..about to start it...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-05, 09:34 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSoup
Well been doing my homework... I'm about to start ordering parts (usb hubs/cables..etc,,)...I will most likely start this project after xmas because of the family and so forth...

The dock i'm going to build myself out of aluminum most likely...so i will definitely be posting pictures regarding my progress. The one in japan is way too expensive...plus i've been speaking with some guys on another forum(another website) that have done it and they've built it on their own with success.

My goal is to install it where the disc changer is in the glove compartment. the mac mini is 2.5" tall(about 1 din height) so it should work. I'm also going to install the usb/firewire hub there also. I'm going to put the touchscreen of course where the radio is at now and i'll figure where to put the gps receiver and the fm receiver somewhere down the line. I also found a firewire device that allows me to get 5.1 dolby surround sound out of the mac($100)..i may have to put a center speaker somewhere... feel free to give any input or suggestions . Once mine is done and anyone else wants to do it let me know.

Sounds like a good plan Carlos. Like I said, if you want a hand hit me up and I'll cruise out to Q-Town!!
Old 12-07-05, 09:38 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Sounds like a good plan Carlos. Like I said, if you want a hand hit me up and I'll cruise out to Q-Town!!
i definitely will... but i plan to build everything first , test it out in the house and then figure out where to put everything ...

here's the game plan....
Attached Thumbnails MAC MINI - CAR PC INSTALL..about to start it...-plan.jpg  

Last edited by GSoup; 12-07-05 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-08-05, 06:55 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

hey papi/sput...the guy from vaisteech just posted this in regards to oem integration...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...22#post1616822

oh i was on another forum (not CL) and i was discussing the install on the GS and a guy offers is help come to find out he's a fellow GS owner and a CL member... check it..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=amwendwa

he told me he will help out if i have questions...he's in maryland

Last edited by GSoup; 12-08-05 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-08-05, 07:45 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Carlos,

It's not letting me view the first link, says I don't have permission to view that page or something...
Old 12-08-05, 07:56 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

yeah i cant get the first link to open
Old 12-08-05, 08:04 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

hmm interesting.. i can't find it in my history and i don't remember the exact location of it..LOLLL..i'll find it again give me a few..

oh i just found a way to make the carpc run full stereo to aftermarket amps with no problems...

http://www.xitel.com/product_hfl.htm

ohh here's some more info for you papi...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...1&page=1&pp=15
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=video+nav

Last edited by GSoup; 12-08-05 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-08-05, 08:20 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great find on that adaptor to make the Mac play full stereo. Just seems way to easy but looks great.

I had found those forums before but I know me and electricity is NOT my forte so I highly doubt any of this will be a DIY job for me. I can see me now trying to hit 'PLAY' on the PS2 and my sunroof opening up or cruise control coming on. lol, not gonna happen. But the fact that some people have gotten it to be this cheap is what I'm hoping that that shop that I showed you the website can do. Now I just need this snow tomorrow to hurry up and evaporate so I can take a ride out there.

Maybe we should get about 4 cars who are interested in doing the MiniPC and oem integration and all shoot out there one day and see what these guys are talking about. Maybe we can learn something or try to get a group hookup. Someone on here had used and recommended them before but I don't remember who it was but the link to the site came from CL.
Old 12-08-05, 08:29 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

its a basic line level converter but its rca on the other end which is nice..and it comes with all the cables... (rca is 30ft.)..plus its compatiblility with all the media software (Windows Media Player, Winamp, RealAudio Player, LiquidAudio Player, MusicMatch Jukebox, iTunes, and many others)

well the MACar PC is really easy ... i can do it not a prob... whats going to take time and planning is the dock.. eventhen though its really not har. but once i make one , duplicating is going to be easy.

i'm also gonn speak with CL member - Amwendwa and talk to him about his install and what problems he came across to make my life easier...

This is something i'm definitely going to be DYI on my end.. the only part i may have my friends shop do is the amps and the speakers.. not because i don't know how to do it but that its tedious and i just don't feel like running wires and removing seats blah blah blah... plus it will probably be like a $100-$150 to run the amps and speakers in his shop...

Last edited by GSoup; 12-08-05 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-08-05, 08:35 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44

I had found those forums before but I know me and electricity is NOT my forte so I highly doubt any of this will be a DIY job for me. I can see me now trying to hit 'PLAY' on the PS2 and my sunroof opening up or cruise control coming on.
LOL!!

But, if this happens, then the sunroof button should turn on the PS2 right? Switch the marking labels and no one will know the difference!
Old 12-08-05, 08:39 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mkorsu
LOL!!

But, if this happens, then the sunroof button should turn on the PS2 right? Switch the marking labels and no one will know the difference!

LOL..yup... we can always put a blender and serve drinks in there to distract that issue
Old 01-22-06, 08:37 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

well fellas...it has begun...check my thread in the audio forum.. i got some of the goodies and i finished up my bezel...oh yeaaaahhhhhh
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190286