Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

NYC front plate law

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-05, 12:03 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NYC front plate law

Yes it has happened!
Ticketed for "Missing front plate" while parked. $65
Reason for this is because I refuse to drill into my nice bumper and
"The Cool Factor"

Any one familiar with this law and anyway to get around it in NYC?
I did some search on these forums and apparently there maybe a loophole for front plate.
Filling out a form for a lost plate. Most likely they will not make a new plate.
Could someone confirm this?
Also anyone know of a way to beat this " missing front plate ticket"? Is it a "fix-it" ticket or a "take pic and send in: ticket
thanks in advance
Old 12-10-05, 12:35 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sputniknyc
Yes it has happened!
"The Cool Factor"

I did some search on these forums and apparently there maybe a loophole for front plate.
Filling out a form for a lost plate. Most likely they will not make a new plate.
Also anyone know of a way to beat this " missing front plate ticket"? Is it a "fix-it" ticket or a "take pic and send in: ticket
thanks in advance
i have no idea about NYC law but if you don't want to drill a hole into your bumper for the frontplate... there are brackets that you can buy that allow for the frontplate without having to drill holes into your bumper...

i don't remember where i saw them but i know they do exist.
Old 12-10-05, 04:43 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Buy some transparent velcro. The ticket folks for having those decorative front plates as well keep the front plate in your windshield billy boy
Old 12-11-05, 01:48 AM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Buy some transparent velcro. The ticket folks for having those decorative front plates as well keep the front plate in your windshield billy boy

good idea!

Now how do I beat the ticket? Send a picture of the plate on or go to police department for a "fix it" ticket?
Old 12-11-05, 04:13 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

You have to plea not gulty and explain that you were looking for places that have a compatible bracket for your custom bumper. Take pics of the front of that white princess, and accompany it with a letter. Iook at the ticket bottom. You can tell if it was a cop or traffic enforcement agent who wrote it. If there I'd number begins with a number other than 8 or 9 it is a traffic agent. Your chances of a verdict would be greater if it wasn't a cop
Old 12-11-05, 08:18 AM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sputniknyc
Yes it has happened!
"The Cool Factor"

thanks in advance

Yeah. You get a ticket for not having a front plate, Don’t put it on the windshield and make sure it is properly fasten because if its hanging from one screw you can also get one.

like dashocker said you can plead not guilty take some pics and send it out by mail. But there is always a chance they wont reply to you and you will never know if it got cleared until they tow your car. What I would do is go directly to the parking bureau and clear it up in person. The only thing of that is that you will be there the entire day.

Good luck
Old 12-11-05, 01:44 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
You have to plea not gulty and explain that you were looking for places that have a compatible bracket for your custom bumper. Take pics of the front of that white princess, and accompany it with a letter. Iook at the ticket bottom. You can tell if it was a cop or traffic enforcement agent who wrote it. If there I'd number begins with a number other than 8 or 9 it is a traffic agent. Your chances of a verdict would be greater if it wasn't a cop

No doubt the ticket was issued by a brownie (meter maid, traffic agent) since their only goal is the number of tickets they come in with each day. A real police officer has better things to do than to give out a parking ticket for no license plate mounted on the front of a vehicle.
Old 12-11-05, 02:20 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

are you kidding bro............ this law has been around since lincoln was born........... youve got to be kidding me how do u beet this you cant beet this. unless the judge is ray charles and u found a cure for his blindness. there is a reason y the DMV gives u two plates!...

zip tie that plate ive learned my lesson
Old 12-11-05, 06:42 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by nyARISTO
are you kidding bro............ this law has been around since lincoln was born........... youve got to be kidding me how do u beet this you cant beet this. unless the judge is ray charles and u found a cure for his blindness. there is a reason y the DMV gives u two plates!...

zip tie that plate ive learned my lesson
true indeed, cant beat it and you dont want to get your car towed for not paying the fine
Old 12-11-05, 11:18 PM
LexT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, cant beat the ticket - I got one 2 weeks ago in Jackson Heights, Paid $65 - hate that plate on the bumper.
Old 12-11-05, 11:34 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexT
Yea, cant beat the ticket - I got one 2 weeks ago in Jackson Heights, Paid $65 - hate that plate on the bumper.
Did you try fighting it?
It did snow other day so I could say my plate was under the snow.
White car + white snow = dumb cop?
Old 12-12-05, 05:49 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I will buy your car at the auction Bill lol lol. Nah, i like Tont's idea. when you are parking the car on the street use the zippys baby.
Old 12-12-05, 08:42 AM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

yo dont sweat it bro.... there just lil tickets atleast u didnt get points on ur license so efff it think of it like this ....... u lost 65 bucks at a slot machine in AC!
Old 12-12-05, 04:04 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nyARISTO
yo dont sweat it bro.... there just lil tickets atleast u didnt get points on ur license so efff it think of it like this ....... u lost 65 bucks at a slot machine in AC!
That's one too many quarters at the slots for me. I'm fighting it!
It is a brownie that issued the ticket.
Old 12-12-05, 08:13 PM
LexT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the way I look at it - in the past year that I've parked this car in Jackson Heights atleast 100 times - Iam there twice a week - I dont care $65 - Its not like it goes on my licence. There's no way Iam putting that plate back on.

Quick Reply: NYC front plate law