Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

Tint Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-06, 08:58 AM
stefnee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Tint Removal

I just got pulled over for having 5% on my GS 300. Yeah I knew it was always a possibility, considering the tint has only been on for two weeks. The car was a Christmas present from my husband. Well the place I got the tint put on, wants $150 to remove the tint. They said they need to remove the back seat to remove the tint also. I know they removed the back seat to install it, that is why I paid $200 to get it installed.

So, I have 30-days to get the tint removed before I need to get the car inspected. Can I just get the tint removed from the side windows without messing with the rear window? The person who did my clear bra offered to remove the tint from my side windows only, telling me that I could still pass inspection with 5% on the rear window. That just seems too easy. Has anyone tried this?

Stefnee
Old 02-03-06, 09:15 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if it cost more to remove it than to just pay the fine ..why do it?
Old 02-03-06, 09:24 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where exactly do you have 5%? All around? What's the law in MD, in NY you can tint the rear passenger and windshield as dark as you want.
Old 02-03-06, 10:23 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Actually NY law is 70% is allowed...
Old 02-03-06, 01:25 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gotten a total of 6 tickets for tints, cops around my area give me one for each window. I just paid the tickets and left the tint on.
Old 02-03-06, 03:40 PM
stefnee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not that easy in MD

The law says i can only have 35% all around. If I get repair order and it is not repaired (tint removed) then my license is suspended.

Stefnee
Old 02-03-06, 03:59 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

The law says i can only have 35% all around. If I get repair order and it is not repaired (tint removed) then my license is suspended.
I've got 5% all around but I havent go stopped yet. I had no ideal you could get your license supended over it. stefnee where you at in MD so I'll know where to be careful?
Old 02-03-06, 05:29 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by GSoup
For the front windows + windshield yes, rear windows and rear glass can be limo tint for all legal purposes
Old 02-06-06, 12:15 PM
ajmcd64
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think maybe you should get a second opinion from your local police dept. 5% tint is nothing, and I agree with others that the rear doors and rear window are unlimited, it's just the front windshield and front door windows.
Old 02-06-06, 12:27 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

I think maybe you should get a second opinion from your local police dept. 5% tint is nothing, and I agree with others that the rear doors and rear window are unlimited, it's just the front windshield and front door windows
Be careful, when we were talking about that, it was for NY State only, different states have very different laws. NJ is only one bridge away but you can't tint the front passenger windows at all.

This is the current MD law for tints:

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Maryland, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 5 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Old 02-06-06, 12:52 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

dammmmn.... i use to get pulled over all the time for tints... and its 35% here in new york for front window's...... its just the front windows the back window's dont matter cop told me rear window's can limo black but that drive and passenger window isnt 35%+ its 75 double cheeseburgers per window...

eFF removing it tell that company to re-tint the front with 35%
Old 02-06-06, 11:14 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GSoup

on the front windsheild? cause i have mine done with 70% and i got a ticket for it
Old 02-07-06, 04:36 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Maybe we should clear this up. When a cop puts his meter on the window, it will give a readout. The readout it gives is the % of light that goes through the window. In NYS, that readout on his meter must be ABOVE 70. When I got pulled over and my tints were checked, his meter read 18. He told me that the front windows + front windshield HAD to read over 70 on that meter, and that the rear windows and rear glass could be blacked out completely.
Old 02-07-06, 05:30 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I would just take it all off. Back glass is a PITA because of the rear defrost lines. I got a tint ticket when I had my 240 but that's when I lived in Mo County. Now that I'm in PG cops dont seem to care lol. Where in MD are you?
Old 02-07-06, 06:35 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
Maybe we should clear this up. When a cop puts his meter on the window, it will give a readout. The readout it gives is the % of light that goes through the window. In NYS, that readout on his meter must be ABOVE 70. When I got pulled over and my tints were checked, his meter read 18. He told me that the front windows + front windshield HAD to read over 70 on that meter, and that the rear windows and rear glass could be blacked out completely.
yup yup.. that is correct.. except when the cop read the meter on mine it said 2% ..LOL

front windshield - your only allowed up to 6" down from the top, anything other than that is illegal.
driver / passenger windows - 70% or greater
rear windows - doesn't matter
back window - doesn't matter

Quick Reply: Tint Removal