Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

When is the best time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-06, 07:24 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts
Default When is the best time?

If I have to get through staten Island and southwestern long island in the morning, when is the best time to be in that area to avoid the most traffic? I want to go Belt Pkwy W to Verazzano to 440 South to the Outer Bridge Xing so that I can to I-95/NJTP. What is the best time to pass through this area? If I am in the area at 9am, will there be lots of traffic compared to if I am in the area at 7am, 8am, or 10am? When would the best time be?
Old 03-03-06, 08:28 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You really want to avoid the Belt at all after 6:30 in the morning. It doesn't really let up until 1 or 2. If you're going to leave between 6 and 8 I would tell you that you are better off going (I live by JFK) the GCP/LIE to BQE route to get to the Verrazano or just hope over the Brooklyn and go to the Holland. I take that trip alot and it usually works out well but I usually leave around 5 or so to avoid any traffic at all.
Old 03-03-06, 09:25 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah avoid the belt pkwy at that time like Cliff said. he has to set up cones for his drift competion. Watch out!
Old 03-03-06, 10:55 AM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
You really want to avoid the Belt at all after 6:30 in the morning. It doesn't really let up until 1 or 2. If you're going to leave between 6 and 8 I would tell you that you are better off going (I live by JFK) the GCP/LIE to BQE route to get to the Verrazano or just hope over the Brooklyn and go to the Holland. I take that trip alot and it usually works out well but I usually leave around 5 or so to avoid any traffic at all.
the holland sounds much easier...just get out and jump right on the turnpike...plus with the Verrazano you gotta pay the 9 dollars unless you got EZ-pass...good luck
Old 03-03-06, 02:20 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Wow, I wouldn't have thought the Belt Parkway West coming from Long Island to the Verazzano would be full of traffic after say 10am, but thanks for the advice I am planning this for a friday morning, maybe I will just hit it up a different way then.
Old 03-04-06, 06:58 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After 10, take the LIE, the Belt doesn't really intersect with any other major highways once you past the airport (JFK) so any traffic on there is likely headed to the same destination you are (Bridge) or the city so you'll see those same cars all the way there, just crawling. LIE to BQE to Bklyn bridge to Holland is probably the fastest way out of the city during the day. Let me know how it works out for you.
Old 03-05-06, 09:10 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
After 10, take the LIE, the Belt doesn't really intersect with any other major highways once you past the airport (JFK) so any traffic on there is likely headed to the same destination you are (Bridge) or the city so you'll see those same cars all the way there, just crawling. LIE to BQE to Bklyn bridge to Holland is probably the fastest way out of the city during the day. Let me know how it works out for you.
Also take Worth street to cross over and a right on Hudson street to connect to the Holland.
Canal street is normally backed up.