Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

Speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-06, 05:20 AM
LEXITT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding ticket

I got a ticket speeding, its 100mph in 50mph zone on a highway, i know i shouldn't have done that, i never speed, this is my first time, the weird thing is that there was a truck next to me who was also going 100mph and the cop decided to pick me, is it because i am driving a japanase car? or maybe he likes my car color better, who knows. Anyway i wanted to ask you guys for opinions on what i should do, should i get a lawyer? or just plea guilty and send the ticket back? Please help me with this guys, i need my driving license, i drive to work everyday, i feel like a total idiot now, it was a small section that i just decided to push the car a little for couple of seconds.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-06, 05:24 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am guessing that you are in you 20's if so what you really need to consider is how a guilty will affect your insurance.
Not to mention the 100's or thousand that the ticket itself will cost you.

You probably want to consult with an attorney
Old 12-15-06, 05:59 AM
LEXITT
Rookie

im 27, never had a ticket in my life.
Old 12-15-06, 06:03 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is New York on the point system. You get so many points for different traffic vioations?
Old 12-15-06, 06:09 AM
buggs384
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be OK. It just going to be expensive. Do yourself a favor and get an attorney. Dont forget ALL Judges were once practicing attorneys before they were wearing the black robe.
Your looking at a stiff fine and a tung lashing from the Judge.
Old 12-15-06, 06:25 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

This is really going to cost you money, one way or another. Each state is different, but here in Alaska the following would happen. With a guilty plea, you would have the fine and insurance increase along with a 6 month suspended license. With an attorney to get the charge reduced figure around $100/hr., plus a smaller fine and increase in insurance. An attorney should be able to get you a red license to get you to work and back if suspension is unavoidable. Strange and lucky things do happen, so I wish for the best outcome possible.
Old 12-15-06, 07:43 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DEFINITELY get a lawyer. you have NO CHANCE w/o one. if u go in there alone, u will get max fine and max penalty. if u pay a lawyer, and they happen to know the judge or the prosecutor or both, u may be able to get it reduced especially since u dont have anything on ur license previously. 1 other piece of advice, be honest. dont tell the judge u were keepin up w/traffic or anything like that, im sure they hear that ALL the time. tell him u just felt like testin the car out or whatever it was that u were doin and u understand u were wrong and that ur willing to accept the punishment b/c u made the mistake. we all make dumb decisions now and then, as long as u learn from it and dont do it again, then its gonna be fine (imo at least)
Old 12-15-06, 07:50 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

go to court maybe u'll have atlest the points dropped since its ur first.. if u have a clean record atleast here in md ur more liklely to get away with it or atleast get the points taken away
Old 12-15-06, 08:15 AM
LEXITT
Rookie

Originally Posted by varcity64
DEFINITELY get a lawyer. you have NO CHANCE w/o one. if u go in there alone, u will get max fine and max penalty. if u pay a lawyer, and they happen to know the judge or the prosecutor or both, u may be able to get it reduced especially since u dont have anything on ur license previously. 1 other piece of advice, be honest. dont tell the judge u were keepin up w/traffic or anything like that, im sure they hear that ALL the time. tell him u just felt like testin the car out or whatever it was that u were doin and u understand u were wrong and that ur willing to accept the punishment b/c u made the mistake. we all make dumb decisions now and then, as long as u learn from it and dont do it again, then its gonna be fine (imo at least)
I never dealt with any lawyer, do i just go and get any lawyer? or there is a special lawyer that deals with tickets? I live in NY, Queens.

Thanks
Old 12-15-06, 09:36 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Does the once a year defensive driving course option not apply? I dont think that you can get out of the situation, it is just a matter of how to minimize the impact.

If you are over the margin, then you can plead (with arguments .. good record etc), either to the judge (at trial) or the county clerk (pre-trial) to allow you to take DD course. If you cant convince them, then you can always pay the full fine. Take the hit on insurance, if any, and still mitigate the premium hike by taking the defensive driving course.

You can explore the Attorney approach [just remember what you said to the cop when he gave you the ticket .. admission/argument etc]. Most probably the attorney would do the same as in above para ... unless there is room to prove that the ticket was not justifiable.

Salim
Old 12-15-06, 10:06 AM
LEXITT
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
Does the once a year defensive driving course option not apply? I dont think that you can get out of the situation, it is just a matter of how to minimize the impact.

If you are over the margin, then you can plead (with arguments .. good record etc), either to the judge (at trial) or the county clerk (pre-trial) to allow you to take DD course. If you cant convince them, then you can always pay the full fine. Take the hit on insurance, if any, and still mitigate the premium hike by taking the defensive driving course.

You can explore the Attorney approach [just remember what you said to the cop when he gave you the ticket .. admission/argument etc]. Most probably the attorney would do the same as in above para ... unless there is room to prove that the ticket was not justifiable.

Salim

I took the defensive driving course already, does that apply, or i have to take it again?
All i want is to not get points, it looks like 11 points (possible suspension) i can have that, i need to drive to work. On the back of that ticket i have to plea guilty or not guilty, i think that i have to select not guilty and face the judge right? if i plea guilty they might suspend my license and fine me the max amount?
Old 12-15-06, 10:23 AM
Ronsully
Pole Position

whatever you do, don't just plead guilty and mail in your money.
Old 12-15-06, 10:30 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Not sure but my understanding is that you can only apply dd to remove a moving citation Once per year. There may be weasel words as to "after citation" or some thing. Check with the institution you took the course with. They should have issued you a copy to submit with citation. If you still have it, you should be in the clear. Key word being "should".

County clerk would be able to tell you the options as they are the final word before trial. And also an attorney can guide you.

You can look up the yellow pages for attorney or get a reference from frieds/family for any attorney. Once you find one he/she will be able to refer to the right attorney.

Salim
Old 12-15-06, 07:37 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXITT
I never dealt with any lawyer, do i just go and get any lawyer? or there is a special lawyer that deals with tickets? I live in NY, Queens.

Thanks
11 points?!?! DEFINITELY get a lawyer!! do a search online or yellow pages for a lawyer that specializes in dealing with driving fines/penalties. good luck
Old 12-15-06, 08:38 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

actually thatsw wrong. You could've gotten arrested. The cop has an option to arrest you if you are doing double the speed. Now DO NOT PLEAD GUILTY. Yes you were wrong and yada yada but this will screw you. You have to get a good attorney, the speed that you had if you plead guilt your license is automatically suspended. Plus due to a new law that went into effect 11/04 if you have 6 or more points on you record you pay $100 every year for 3 years. Tally up the costs and just get an attorney. The defensive driving class is the 5 hour class that you take to get a insurance reduction. The class to shave off 4 point is called point reduction class and its 6 hours long. Good luck and I hope that you can win this.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket