Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

Detail Review (lots of PICS = not 56k friendly)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-09, 12:09 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This company does have some nice equipment and a professional setup, I'm impressed.

IMO, for the price you paid (over 200) is rather a large markup especially considering that they ONLY spent 2.5 hours on your car. Either they have superhuman lightning fast powers or didn't polish enough of the car. They seem to be a legit company, but 2.5 hours just doesn't cut it for a complete detail. Typical full details with interior & exterior last at least 6 hours, 8 hours to be completely thorough. This includes at least 4-5 hours of machine polishing. 2.5 hours is no where near this time span, which is why I'm skeptical. Judging by the pics it looks like they just went over the car really quick with the machine and sealed it without addressing any swirl issues or check for marring after polishing. Being that your car is silver, it is easy to hide swirls and marring left over by improper polishing. I'm surprised that with all the expensive equipment they have they don't even carry a halogen light to check for hidden imperfections. From the looks of it, they did a decent job but skimped a lot on polishing which is the most important step of any exterior detailing. I'm sure that if your car was black or some dark color, this detail would not have lasted only 2.5 hours but twice that long. Other than the skimping on the polishing, the interior and the engine looks great..

As mentioned before, silver cars are easy to upkeep. For 200 large you could have brought the best detailing supplies and could have done a similar job yourself.

In any case, you have a very clean IS300! Looks like you are headed in the right direction with the car. Keeping a car clean is not only essential but a necessity!

Last edited by One HoT; 03-17-09 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-17-09, 06:06 AM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow these guys need to open a branch in NY! Nice job!
Old 03-17-09, 06:17 AM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

A lot of people seem to missing some key points here;

1. Maybe he wanted someone doing it that knows what he is doing?
2. Maybe he didn't want to spend that kind of time on his car? I know I sometimes have more pressing things like taking care of a house/yard/kids.
3. Maybe all of the above?

I know I am a somewhat n00b to the Lexus world but I spent 4 years with my Firebird Formula (Navy Blue Metallic) and always preferred to pay someone who knew how to work the paint rather than deal with it myself.
Old 03-17-09, 06:24 AM
SupraMan17
Intermediate

Originally Posted by One HoT
This company does have some nice equipment and a professional setup, I'm impressed.

IMO, for the price you paid (over 200) is rather a large markup especially considering that they ONLY spent 2.5 hours on your car. Either they have superhuman lightning fast powers or didn't polish enough of the car. They seem to be a legit company, but 2.5 hours just doesn't cut it for a complete detail. Typical full details with interior & exterior last at least 6 hours, 8 hours to be completely thorough. This includes at least 4-5 hours of machine polishing. 2.5 hours is no where near this time span, which is why I'm skeptical. Judging by the pics it looks like they just went over the car really quick with the machine and sealed it without addressing any swirl issues or check for marring after polishing. Being that your car is silver, it is easy to hide swirls and marring left over by improper polishing. I'm surprised that with all the expensive equipment they have they don't even carry a halogen light to check for hidden imperfections. From the looks of it, they did a decent job but skimped a lot on polishing which is the most important step of any exterior detailing. I'm sure that if your car was black or some dark color, this detail would not have lasted only 2.5 hours but twice that long. Other than the skimping on the polishing, the interior and the engine looks great..

As mentioned before, silver cars are easy to upkeep. For 200 large you could have brought the best detailing supplies and could have done a similar job yourself.

In any case, you have a very clean IS300! Looks like you are headed in the right direction with the car. Keeping a car clean is not only essential but a necessity!
yea the silver hides a lot of the imperfections, but im still kind of new to detailing. my first car i really didnt have to take care of it much since it was already beat. but i wanted to observe and get some techniques from people that have done it for a long time. i can say that i havent seen any swirl marks or any marring in the paint. and i am trying my hardest to keep this car as clean as possible. i could have done it myself...but i wanted to see how professionals get the job done. it would give me a better idea of how to better approach detailing a car.

Originally Posted by gs4004gs
A lot of people seem to missing some key points here;

1. Maybe he wanted someone doing it that knows what he is doing?
2. Maybe he didn't want to spend that kind of time on his car? I know I sometimes have more pressing things like taking care of a house/yard/kids.
3. Maybe all of the above?

I know I am a somewhat n00b to the Lexus world but I spent 4 years with my Firebird Formula (Navy Blue Metallic) and always preferred to pay someone who knew how to work the paint rather than deal with it myself.
mainly #1 on that...i wanted someone that knew what they were doing to take car of it...i was observing the whole process. as stated before im a little new to detailing so i wanted to see some proper procedures on how to actually get it done. thanks and i agree i wanted someone who knew how to work with paint first...observe their techniques to help me maintain my car.
Old 03-17-09, 06:31 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No one is saing that he didnt know what he was doing. Alot of us are saying that for what they did do, and the time that they took to do it, as well as the money they charged him, he did not get the full benefit for the money he paid. Because his car is silver, as One Hot mentioned (who is a detailer and alot of the NY/NJ guys go to him with confidence), it is really easy to hide alot of imperfections, scratches, etc, which would need to be addressed with a car of a darker color. I, myself, am not a detailer but even I can see that it looks like they did do a good job, but realistically only went thru the motions of full detail. Clay bar alone would take 2+ hours if done correctly. Not to mention wax/polish takes longer than they spent on it. No one is doubting that they know what they are doing, just that for $200+ he did not get his money's worth despite the car looking good.
Old 03-17-09, 07:08 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

this is why people don't have to put up prices... u get the i could have gotten it done for XXX instead of XXX. just appreciate that the car looks good.
Old 03-17-09, 01:16 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately this is the nature of the business..You usually get what you paid for especially with labor..But in this case the OP seemed to have been a bit short changed..But regardless, you're right, the car looks good, the materials used look to be top notch, and setup was professional...I guess thats all that matters..
Old 03-18-09, 07:31 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

also they came to him
Old 03-25-09, 02:42 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Car looks fantastic.....
Old 03-28-09, 06:07 PM
Gnocchi
Driver School Candidate

That looks fantastic! Just like brand new, yet seven years old.