Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

Front end work

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-09, 12:52 PM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end work

I need some front end work done. I have the dreaded high speed shake and low speed clunking when turning. I don't have the time or patience to work on this stuff anymore. I need someone to order/install the Danzien bushings and whatever else is needed. I replaced one ball joint which was only marginally questionable.

I live on Long Island... Can anyone point me to a shop they trust for this kind of thing? Anyone want to do it (or help me do it) and make some loot on the side?

This is driving me insane.

Last edited by gs4004gs; 03-17-09 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 01:09 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gs4004gs
I need some front end work done. I have the dreaded high speed shake and low speed clunking when turning. I don't have the time or patience to work on this stuff anymore. I need someone to order/install the Danzien bushings and whatever else is needed. I replaced one ball joint which was only marginally questionable.

I live on Long Island... Can anyone point me to a shop they trust for this kind of thing? Anyone want to do it (or help me do it) and make some loot on the side?

This is driving me insane.
Save your money! You do not need the Daizen bushings in order to make the car vibration free.. My GS is Daizenless & does not experience any vibration whatsoever be it street or highway driving. Always replace lower ball joints in pairs. That goes for any suspension component. Preventive maintainence, which includes proper alignment, is key.. Get the car inspected to make sure that all is ok.

Since you are in Long Island check out this shop.

Camber Toe
659 Merrick Rd.
Lynbrook, NY 11563
516 872 6400
ask for Sin

Good Luck.
Old 03-17-09, 01:45 PM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Save your money! You do not need the Daizen bushings in order to make the car vibration free.. My GS is Daizenless & does not experience any vibration whatsoever be it street or highway driving. Always replace lower ball joints in pairs. That goes for any suspension component. Preventive maintainence, which includes proper alignment, is key.. Get the car inspected to make sure that all is ok.

Camber Toe
659 Merrick Rd.
Lynbrook, NY 11563
516 872 6400
ask for Sin

Good Luck.
"Daizenless" lol

I've had the car laser aligned and re-aligned and it still shakes. It's worse with the aftermarket wheels but not by much. I'm just very frustrated between the two issues and have read about the clunking at low speeds issue being bushings.
Old 03-17-09, 02:20 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

If you are willing to travel out to Brooklyn I have a shop that has done all of the work on my car, installing all daizen components and new ball joints, tie rods basically redoing the whole front end for a real good price.
Old 03-17-09, 03:31 PM
taeng
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER

Camber Toe
659 Merrick Rd.
Lynbrook, NY 11563
516 872 6400
ask for Sin

Good Luck.
Hey Dashocker how do you know Sin and Camber Toe? Sin and Randy are friends and good people.
Old 03-17-09, 05:31 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by taeng
Hey Dashocker how do you know Sin and Camber Toe? Sin and Randy are friends and good people.
Because I am

Old 03-17-09, 06:24 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not that I am an expert on the GS, but you mentioned you have aftermarket wheels. Have they been balanced properly? Lexus' are very sensitive to balance issues and you would be best to find a shop which uses the Hunter Roadforce(aka Hunter 9700) machine to do their balance work. Also have them check to make sure that your tires are not "out of round". Are your wheels Hubcentric (meaning tight fitting onto the hub) and not lugcentric (loose fitting on the hub, but torque from lugnuts is keeping the wheels in place)? Do you have hub rings(adaptors) on your wheels to take up the gap between the center bore on your rims and the hub itself. Lexus hub center bore is 60.1 mm. What is the center bore(measurement) of your wheels themselves. This can also cause vibration as you described, along with the suggestions that everyone above me has listed. Just an area to look into and check.
Old 03-18-09, 06:24 AM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

Spyder... I sent you a PM. Thanks

trukn1... as I mentioned above, the shaking occurs with both the stock and the aftermarket wheels. It's just a little worse with the aftermarket. They have been spin balanced twice. I do have hubcentric rings which I made sure of before I bought them.
Old 03-18-09, 09:16 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

BTW spin balancing or not. If I do not balance with the hunter roadforce 9700 than I get a wobble oem, g35, and aftermarket wheels all give me the same result when balanced on anything else.

PM replied
Old 03-18-09, 09:31 AM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

Ok... I guess it's time to find a shop that has the Hunter before I take this any further.
Old 03-19-09, 04:27 PM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

One problem solved... no more wheel shake. I will try to make this short.

Called around to find a place that had the 9700. A Honda dealer did but he didn't want to touch my 19" wheels. (?) Anyway, sent me to Mavis Tire on Route 110 in Farmingdale. Called, was told yes they had one. Drove over there, nope, no Hunter. The guy who answered earlier evidently didn't know what it actually was. Joe, the manager, looked at the wheels and said "These are not balanced right I can tell that already." I explained that I had them balanced twice by the same guy. His reply, "The guy doesn't know what he's doing. These wheels need to be balanced on two planes, they look static balanced." He offered to put the two fronts on the Coats machine and see how they were. Right front was off .5 inside, 1.25 outside. Left front, .75 inside, 1.5 outside. Needless to say I had him balance all four. Then he said, "Take the car for a ride before you even pay me and see if the problem is solved."

So... took the car up and down through the shaking zone and had a huge grin. As you can guess... the car rides like a Lexus now.

This guy knew his stuff and was super good about making sure I was happy. They even use a torque wrench on all the lugs which I find a nice touch.

Major props to the guys at Mavis in Farmingdale!
Old 03-19-09, 05:32 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Coats and Hunter are the 2 best machines to use for balance. I could not remember the other machine when I made my first post. Glad you got a smile on your face now. (Pats self on back for calling problem right).

Now on the the next step. Get your ball joints and tie rods checked also. I only mention this item since you said that you have shaking while on OEM wheels as well. May not be bad at all, but having them checked will give you piece of mind.

Last edited by trukn1; 03-19-09 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-20-09, 06:21 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gs4004gs
One problem solved... no more wheel shake. I will try to make this short.

Called around to find a place that had the 9700. A Honda dealer did but he didn't want to touch my 19" wheels. (?) Anyway, sent me to Mavis Tire on Route 110 in Farmingdale. Called, was told yes they had one. Drove over there, nope, no Hunter. The guy who answered earlier evidently didn't know what it actually was. Joe, the manager, looked at the wheels and said "These are not balanced right I can tell that already." I explained that I had them balanced twice by the same guy. His reply, "The guy doesn't know what he's doing. These wheels need to be balanced on two planes, they look static balanced." He offered to put the two fronts on the Coats machine and see how they were. Right front was off .5 inside, 1.25 outside. Left front, .75 inside, 1.5 outside. Needless to say I had him balance all four. Then he said, "Take the car for a ride before you even pay me and see if the problem is solved."

So... took the car up and down through the shaking zone and had a huge grin. As you can guess... the car rides like a Lexus now.

This guy knew his stuff and was super good about making sure I was happy. They even use a torque wrench on all the lugs which I find a nice touch.

Major props to the guys at Mavis in Farmingdale!
Glad it worked out for you.. I know the guys at the Farmingdale & Elmont Mavis locations. Clean waiting area with HD t.v.'s & pleather chairs Now, get the suspension components inspected. That one ball joint change at a time method is a big no no & can be dangerous for you, your passengers & other motorists.
Old 03-20-09, 07:25 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

^^ +1 Agreed.
Old 03-20-09, 08:11 AM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

Ok gents... point taken.

DA does Camber Toe do front end work or just alignments? Spyder hooked me up with a place in Brooklyn but Camber is a lot closer.

Quick Reply: Front end work