Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

Tame the tail of the Dragon - August 22nd to 24th!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-03, 09:05 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Tame the tail of the Dragon - August 22nd to 24th!!!

COME ON OUT AND MEET OTHER LEXUS ENTHUSIASTS AND ALSO SEE HOW ALL YOUR TLC MODIFIYING YOUR CAR HAS IMPROVED ITS HANDLING!!!

Click here to see all the details - Taming the tail of the dragon - August 22nd - 24th

Carved into the beautiful Great Smoky Mountains in NC and TN, one will find "The Tail of the Dragon", a popular spot amongst motorsport enthusiasts of all sorts. Without a doubt, it's one of the best places on earth to test your skills and courage in a car or on a motorcycle, as well as a great spot to meet others with a like mind and purpose...Slay the Dragon!
This stretch of US Highway 129 running through Deal's Gap, Tennessee, AKA...The Tail of the Dragon is made up of 318 turns in 11 miles. It's a curvy, convoluted dream (or should I say nightmare) and, if you're not careful, this dragon can easily burn you with its fiery breath.

Aptly named is Tail of the Dragon, friends. So many turns, decreasing radius. Some of them twisting way over ninety degrees. There's no escape from the swooping, diving curves and switchbacks. You'll be downshifting and WOT uphill, braking hard downhill. No passing (wink, wink). Motorcycles everywhere, both Hogs and Ninjas. You may see a Shelby Cobra, Porsche 914 or even a Ferrari or two. Chicanes and esses, uphill, downhill, yellow steep grade warning signs. Lateral G's...ouch. Radio chatter. Believe me, it is all that...plus Tennessee State Troopers guarding the border against those that wish to tame the Dragon.

Whether you're in for a leisurely cruise or a hot fast ride, beware; the Tail of the Dragon can whip you!
Old 07-08-03, 11:36 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've been gearing up to go.. but have to go see the inlaws... sux.... trade CL event for meeting with the inlaws... sux sux sux
Old 07-08-03, 11:45 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Way to sell it Hameed, plus a great site too. Sorry you can't make it VS, maybe things will change between now and then.

To everybody else, I can't wait to meet you all and slay the dragon!
Old 07-08-03, 12:34 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

i wish it would change.. but the flight's been booked already.....
Old 07-08-03, 12:46 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by Overclocker
Way to sell it Hameed, plus a great site too. Sorry you can't make it VS, maybe things will change between now and then.

To everybody else, I can't wait to meet you all and slay the dragon!
Thanks man! I think the site will get tons of hits before the event and after too. I plan on putting up lots of pics there after the event is over.

VS? Not sure what you mean..........
Old 07-08-03, 12:53 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

hameed: I have to go meet my girlfriend's parents on the west coast... so I won't be around that weekend.... so i can't go..... I'm bumed....
Old 07-08-03, 12:57 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by VSsc400
hameed: I have to go meet my girlfriend's parents on the west coast... so I won't be around that weekend.... so i can't go..... I'm bumed....
That's a real bummer man. I feel your pain........... I am driving 800 miles from Canada for this! Am I crazy or what???
Old 07-08-03, 01:08 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Exclamation

Hameed, I just mapquested it at 627 mi for me. That's shorter that your drive but MUCH furhter than what Daddy-O had (Detroit MI 460 mi). Oh well, you only live once and this looks like great fun!
Old 07-08-03, 01:11 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Looking forward to you guys being there! Make sure to RSVP and send a picture for the website. Get your rooms at the hotel, you can always cancel if you end up having to later.

Got to tell you, that road...is... amazing. At the end of it last year when we were going to go back through the other way said "Dave, do we have to drive back that way again?" . SO many curves.
Old 07-08-03, 01:16 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

I am going to call the airline and see if I can move it a day or 2.... if I get back from the west coast on the 21'st I may be able to drive all night and get there.... lets see what happens....
Old 07-08-03, 01:20 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

guys, i have to drive back down to FL around that time, can I stay at someones house? No but in all reality how far is it from I-95 maybe I'll stop by and say hi.
Old 07-08-03, 01:47 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by futuregs
guys, i have to drive back down to FL around that time, can I stay at someones house? No but in all reality how far is it from I-95 maybe I'll stop by and say hi.
What State for 95? If you are talking about NC, then they are about at the two opposite ends of the State.
Old 07-10-03, 02:46 PM
LexFather

Alright, who else is coming?