Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Tire Installer Recommendation??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-03, 10:05 PM
Goods
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Installer Recommendation??

You guys have steered me in the right direction in the past from window tints to mechanics ... any recommendations for a tire installer? Or anyone have the hookup for tires?

I'm looking at Tire Rack .. but wanna keep the install costs down ... if you know what I mean.

My Michelin's are starting to look like racing slicks ... down to the 2/32 wear indicators.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 11-06-03, 11:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i go to wheel techniques in santa clara. ask for jeff, and tell him henry with the blue gs400 refers you he gives out very good deals
Old 11-11-03, 08:45 AM
97SC
Rookie

Americas Tire Co matches prices. Get a quote at tirerack and I believe they charge an install fee of about $15/tire on top of the price for mount and balance.
Old 11-13-03, 11:38 PM
Goods
Driver

Here's an update:

Went to check out Wheel Techniques..
They charge 20 / tire installation + another 5/tire for disposal.
So... $100 for Installation.

Thanks 97...
I'll check out Americas Tire. I also know wheel works is somewhat affiliated with Tires Plus (chain in the midwest) and they mentioned last time that they do match price, but of course they have their own additional install costs too then.

My preferred option is to go with someone who can match prices, or where I can bring in my own tires (ordered through the club-lexus Tire rack link of course).. and not get raped too badly on price.
I'm looking at the Sumitomo HTR+ or the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S. Times are tough!

The last set of Michelin's Pilot A/S's lasted quite a while, but I'm thinking of trying another brand. But just looking at some price comparison's, if I'm gonna end up paying an extra hundred for installation, I might just go to Costco since they have great deals on Bridgestone and Michelin. Oh the dilemna!
Old 11-14-03, 01:41 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my tires from the Tirerack and had Costco install them. Killer savings all around. I went to the costco off of Lawrence in Santa Clara.

If you have really nice rims, I would not risk going to Costco unless the manager looked at your wheels up front and guaranteed that he would be responsible for any damages to the wheel during mounting and balanciing.

If you have precious wheels, then I strongly recommend Exact Motorsports to do the mount and balance. They will do it for $80 for all four tires. I had tires mounted on brand new high polished HRE's and the job of balancing and mounting was perfect.

Exact Motorsports is in Milpitas off Old Oakland road. Just take the Montague exit off of 880.

Tell John or Sandy I sent you.
Old 11-14-03, 01:56 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by RMMGS4
If you have precious wheels, then I strongly recommend Exact Motorsports to do the mount and balance. They will do it for $80 for all four tires. I had tires mounted on brand new high polished HRE's and the job of balancing and mounting was perfect.
I second this suggestion. My next tires will probably be done here too.
Old 11-14-03, 10:08 AM
BayGS2200
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. I had tires mounted on brand new high polished HRE's and the job of balancing and mounting was perfect.
cool ..........so the rims are in
Old 11-14-03, 10:49 AM
RMMGS4

Wink

Originally posted by airtrackk
cool ..........so the rims are in

Shhhhhhh
Old 11-14-03, 10:57 AM
BayGS2200
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what rims ......i mean who said....... ummmmmm......i better be quiet
Old 11-15-03, 01:37 PM
Goods
Driver

RMM:

You run in to any issues with Costco installing Tirerack tires? Did you talk to a manager? Did you bring in the tires or have them shipped there? Do you remember how much? I know they have some insanely low install charges for their own tires ...

I'm right by the Costco on Lawrence. Drive by at least 3 or 4 times a week.

I'm familiar with Exact. They did my 60K service earlier this year.
Old 11-15-03, 07:12 PM
RMMGS4

When I went to Lawrence Costco, all I asked them was if they install tires not sold by them. They said no prob.

Can't remember the cost, but it was the lowest I found at the time.
Old 11-25-03, 04:01 PM
Goods
Driver

Last update*

I must have some crappy luck. *knock on wood*

Costco - $10 a tire out the door. $40 for the set. Cheapest around, but you're gonna wait for service there. First come first serve. Either get there first thing in the morning, or you're gonna wait 2-4 hrs depending on everything. Good thing it's a quiet week around the office.

So ... all tires are mounted and balanced. I've only driven on them about 4 miles, and I don't know if it's mental .. but the car feels more "floaty". More like a Cadillac. I was running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's, I'm now running Yoko AVS ES100's. I'll give a report in the tire section in a month or two.

Only problem they had, was they replaced the rubber valve stems. I know you're supposed to, but I said to keep em in, they went ahead and did it after a little pressuring telling me thats what you should do. Sure enough, 3 out of 4 .. no problem at all. However,one of 'em, they can't separate the metal to the old plug. They give me a "replacement one", looks close, but not exactly the right size. I doubt 98% of the people out there would notice .. but too bad I fall in that 2%.

Overall, least expensive place around. I didn't notice as much vibration at ~60. Hopefully it was my tires.
Old 11-26-03, 10:25 AM
97SC
Rookie

Nice choice of tires, I have the same ones
But I don't really notice any "float" as you say, probably because I have 40 series tires, what profile are you running? Congrats and glad you could find such a great price on install
Old 11-26-03, 10:21 PM
Goods
Driver

97SC:

I've got the 235/45/17's. The stock rims can handle and may have looked a little better with 245/45/17's.

A little less float with air pumped to 38PSI all around now. But I think still more "float" than with the old michelins. I'll up the PSi after I drive around a little more and get a feel for that. I was running my old tires a little higher than the 33 PSI recommended.

Float in terms of the ride quality (feels more buick like) and it seems like there is more wheel play. Maybe I'm going hyper sensitive right now.
Old 11-27-03, 12:20 AM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Goods
97SC:

I've got the 235/45/17's. The stock rims can handle and may have looked a little better with 245/45/17's.

A little less float with air pumped to 38PSI all around now. But I think still more "float" than with the old michelins. I'll up the PSi after I drive around a little more and get a feel for that. I was running my old tires a little higher than the 33 PSI recommended.

Float in terms of the ride quality (feels more buick like) and it seems like there is more wheel play. Maybe I'm going hyper sensitive right now.
I know exactly what you mean. I have the Yoko AVS dB's (245/45/17), not the ES100's but I've been told that these 2 are built for low noise and ride comfort. I went from the Yoko AVS Sport to the Yoko AVS dB and I felt a big difference. The handling (cornering) on the dB's wasn't as good as with the AVS Sport but the ride was much smoother/softer and ~10 times quieter than the AVS Sport. I guess the best way I could describe it is it felt like I was riding on 50 series tires. The ride is much softer and there's more wheel play (like you experienced). I actually had to double check to make sure I got the right tires because it didn't feel anything like the 45 series on the AVS Sport.

Quick Reply: Tire Installer Recommendation??