Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Exact Motorsports - Feedback -n- Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-03, 08:05 AM
Goods
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exact Motorsports - Feedback -n- Fluids

This is mostly an FYI.
Just a heads up ...

I hope this doesnt come across as a negative review ... but let me explain my story and the facts of the situation. I'm sure John does good work, but maybe he didnt have enough experience with Lexus' at the time. And of course out of professional courtesy .. I did tell him about problem #1 so he could avoid in the future.

I have done my 60K Major Service, All fluid changes. (Brake Fluid, Oil Change, Tranny Fluid, Coolant, Spark Plugs) Front Brake Pad replacement at the same time in May.

I had/have enough confidence in him to do my 65K Oil change.

So let me get to the point and my supporting statements. I believe Exact overfills some of the fluids.

Problem 1 is when I went to pick up my car and notice a puddle of fluid under the car. Turns out to be Brake Fluid coming from the Brake Pump Area. Problem was diagnosed as a potential leak coming from the master cylinder. (This is no small/inexpensive part.) I took the car home and did a little research etc. Payed attention the next morning, as you put the key in the ignition for the first time (in a while - say anything over an hour), you'll hear a pump working. That's the pump grabbing fluid out of the reservoir and putting it somewhere in the brake system. Popped the hood fast enough to see the reservoir level going down ... to just about the Max level. The source of the problem was that it was overfilled, and when the key was removed from the ignition, and the car sat for a while, the fluid enters back into the reservoir, overfilling it and subsequently spilling out.

Soultion: I grabbed a half empty bottle of hand wash and after thouroughly washing and drying the hand pump, went out the next morning, and pumped out a few ounces of brake fluid out of the reservoir before starting it up. Called exact as I had mentioned and let John know of the problem and solution, and had him change the comment on my service slip. No problems to date. Car stops on a dime.

Problem 2 : Just noticed after the 65K, theres a lot of dried red coolant on top of the Coolant Reservoir. (Near the black plastic coated cap). Leads me to believe they overfilled that too. Just speculation on this point. Downside is, I gotta clean it.

I just mentioned my 65K oil change right?
This one is like 1/3 my own fault for not checking ahead of time, and 2/3's Exact's fault for not 1.) checking and 2.) not checking when I specifically asked if he wanted me to check in the owners manual in the glove box.

Problem 3: John did an oil change and put in 6.5 quarts of oil. Now, I'm not saying he didnt check the dipstick, or the dipstick didnt say it wasn't yet full, because I didnt get a look at it. But I was standing there and asked how much it needed. He said he couldnt remember, checked the dipstick, and grabbed a new bottle out of a new box of Oil. Reading my manual this morning, I notice it says it requires 5.5 quarts for a oil fill with filter replacement.

Solution: I don't know. I'm sure theres some tolerance for excess oil, but maybe not ~15 percent too much. Putting in (and paying for) an extra quart of oil probably isnt the best thing for the car. Here's a case of more isnt necessarily more. Working in the oil industry before, depending on the equipment, there's probably no harm if theres enough room in the reservoir, but the one down side is potential excess frothing.

Overall - I'm 80% satisfied with the work they do for the price, but make a mention of the required amounts of fluid it needs, as a reminder.
John and Sandy are great resources for a non-dealer and are a good alternative to paying dealer prices for what can be routine / non-ordinary service.
I did mention Problem #1 as feedback after my first experience back in May.

On a positive note: Brake pad change- no problem. Brought my own front pads, they resurfaced the rotors and did the install. Price was competitive with your Midas's, etc.

This is in no way intended to be a flame. Just looking out.
Feel free to mention my name/car if you talk to John/Exact more than I do (which is rarely) Or PM me if you have any questions.

Goods-
Oliver with the Blue GS.
Old 11-22-03, 11:31 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about the problems. It is good that you posted it. I am surprised a bit since I have not had any problems with John. A number of the NorCal members also use Exact and I have not heard of problems either.
Old 11-23-03, 12:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

this is interesting, sorry that you had to go through the trouble. it's kinda surprising though, coz' i know for sure that on the lexus you always need to have the car running when you put in brake fluid, otherwise it's not going to be accurate. umm....

and about the oil, i wonder too. i always have to put in more than 6 quarts even my manual said 5.5. i have no idea why @_@