Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Dyno Day Follow Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-04, 11:54 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dyno Day MEET Follow Up

Well first of all I'd like to thank everyone for coming. It was a long day and a lot of fun. Over 35 cars showed up and 17 people dyno'd their cars.

Please post pics here. I will have video of the event available in the near future. The roar of the cars on the dyno is awesome to hear.

I will highlight some of the events and then leave it up for everyone else to chime in on these topics as well as give their own input.

1. First time Dyno results from several heavily modded cars:

- Jim Meaders 4.9 liter SC -
Jim 's a great guy and I am surprised it took so long for us to meet up with him, considering he has been on the forums for 3 years. He had no idea what type of numbers he would turn, so he was quite pleased with the results. We will be working to hold a Dyno Tuning day in the future and Jim will hopefully have an aftermarket Engine Management System installed by then, cause I know there is still a lot of potential in his car.

- BoostAdict's Supra TT motored SC -
Kenneth pulled some impressive HP / TQ numbers with his car. Everyone could tell by the sound alone that this was the most powerful car of the meet. He also upped the boost to 20lbs for a couple of runs.

- Jim Shang Toyota TRD Supercharged Tacoma Truck -
Jim's trucked pulled some nice numbers. This was the sleeper of the meet for sure!

- BoostedIS's Peter Farrell Turbo IS -
Ahhh, the sweet sound of a blow off valve is music to the ears. This install was super clean, which is no surprise, being that it was installed by Bruce Nomura. I hope someone has pictures to post of it.

- For the NA cars, RMMGS4 & Synergy tied for most HP with 245 HP and Jim Meader most torque with 272.

- For the FI cars BoostAdict walked away with the most HP/ TQ Honors at 389 HP / 430 TQ @ 20 lbs boost !

2. Motorcycle jump Exhibition
As a surprise treat, DynoLabs had a motorcycle jump off the side of the hill next to the parking lot. It was a good lunch time exhibition. If anyone has video of the jump, please PM me. I would like to post all video footage in one downloadable locaton.

3. Visit by Bruce Nomura.
Thanks to Bruce for visiting and sharing his knowledge with us. I heard there were a lot of good discussions going on. We'll definitely have to hold a meet in the future involving Bruce. For those that don't know Bruce Nomura, check out www.BruceNomura.com.

4.Aftermarket Parts Shoot Out
This was probably the most interesting activity for me. The results were quite interesting and surprising. To do the shoot out justice, I will ask that everyone be patient with waiting for the results to be published. We need the time for analysis and evaluation, before reporting the numbers, which frankly doesn't mean much without us doing a write up of how the test was performed and reporting our findings. I will try to post results within a few weeks. Check back later.

- Thanks to GS400KID and Rex_Racer for coming up with the activity to have a meet at DynoLabs. I am open to suggestions for future meet activities, so please PM me with what you got.

- Lastly I'd like to thank Ray of Dyno Labs for hosting the meet. www.dynolabs.com I will be looking forward to holding future meets with Ray's support. We are looking into the possibility to have a private autocross competition. We'd also like to locate a private stretch of road to do 0 to 60 acceleration runs for everyone to practice and measure their cars 0 to 60 performance. If anyone knows who we can contact or where we can locate a private lot and stretch of road please PM me. Note that I need a PRIVATE lot / road, no public steets, etc. Look for a meet like this to be held some time towards the beginning of the summer.

- I will report the engine mods of the cars that were run on a separate thread in the near future, so check back often and I will post when that information is available.

- In the mean time, here's the preliminary results of the Dyno'd cars :

RMMGS4---------------GS400---------------245 HP / 250 TQ
INDGOGRL------------IS300----------------174 HP / 183 TQ
13s_IS300-------------IS300----------------204 HP / 199 TQ
r.maestas---------------IS300---------------194 HP / 205 TQ
Redgs4-----------------GS400---------------242 HP / 254 TQ
97SC--------------------SC300---------------172 HP / 172 TQ
Jim Meader------------SC490---------------240 HP / 272 TQ
Synergy-----------------GS400---------------245 HP / 260 TQ
BoostAdict-------------SC /SupraTT-------386 HP / 371 TQ @ 15 lbs
----------------------------------------------------389 HP / 430 TQ @ 20 lbs
Soarer/023------------SC300---------------184 HP / 177 TQ
DJHobbes-------------IS300----------------208 HP / 212 TQ
SOODXN---------------IS300----------------186 HP / 198 TQ
Jim Shang-------------Tacoma Truck ----222 HP / 244 TQ
NTHACH---------------LS400----------------182 HP / 214 TQ
BoostedIS-------------IS300-----------------239 HP / 242 TQ
LexAnt -----------------SC400----------------196 HP / 216 TQ
AnthraciteSC---------SC400 ---------------206 HP /230 TQ

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-01-04 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-01-04, 12:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it was a very nice turn out. i was only there from 10 to 12 but i saw some very nice cars there. too bad my car is sooo stock and it's not worth dynoing i hope i can have something exciting soon, that would probably make me more involved
Old 03-01-04, 12:25 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great meet, great turn-out, great cars, great steak dinner . At one point the SCs outnumbered the GSes and I almost forgot where I was!! Hopefully you guys with the built motors get some tuning in by next time so we can see what your cars are really capable of!

Last edited by lex400sc; 03-01-04 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-01-04, 12:59 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Default More Pics

What a great turnout!

The Master of Ceremonies, Glen.

The dyno sitting in the corner of the shop.

RMMGS4 and Rominl.

Redgs4.

Neo.

Jim's SC490

Last edited by redgs4; 03-01-04 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-01-04, 02:03 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Redgs4.

More Redgs4.

Jim's SC490. Good numbers for no tuning. He was happy.

Synergy on 17's. They completed the look!

Boost Addict.

And his Engine.

Boosted IS.

And his Engine.
Old 03-01-04, 10:47 AM
BoostedIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to thanks clublexus.com for the great meeting (especially Glen, and Ray)
Meet tons of great guys, atmosphere was great, and the time coordination was perfect !

For those who pmed about my car, thanks guys, the car actually run really nice, and it is running .45 bar, which is like around 6.5 psi. the delay during the dyno was because Ray couldnt find the right locations for the dyno (the tec3 is giving him the headache )

Last edited by BoostedIS; 03-01-04 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-01-04, 10:51 AM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default My dyno numbers as well

93 SC400 206 rwhp/230lbs tq
I did mine...at the very end of the day..at dusk.

Mods: PI torque converter, Weapon-R Ecu, Injen intake w/Weapon-R filter, Magnaflow Exhausts

Yes..it was really cool to see the SC's represesenting...as well as all the other cars too.
GREAT meet!

Last edited by Anthracite SC; 03-01-04 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-01-04, 11:09 AM
Jim Meader
Driver School Candidate

Great Day - Well worth the effort to put on and enjoy and watch.

For those of you not able to be there - you have to be at the next one.

I had to leave early and missed the Tundra Truck, This can show the potential in front of me with a supercharger.

As to My car, my graft was rock solid but the power peak was early and trailed off sooner and more than it should of. The bottom line is with proper tunning there is more to come and I walked away with a big smile on my face.

My 92 SC400 started out with 240 flywheel HP and today it puts down 240HP at the wheels and an amazing 272 LBS of torque, I feel the project was a great success.

Items of note for other projects:

I have a 60 lbs high volume fuel pump with an adjustable fuel regulator. On the second pass I reduced the fuel line pressure from 50LBS to 42, on the suggestion of Ray, and made more horsepower . What this tell us is that the stock injectors easily produce 300plus flywheel HP and if our stock setup has any weakness it is in volume of fuel and not fuel pressure. Well do more testing in this area next.

Also one thing that was consistant with all cars that ran, they all ran better numbers in the last two runs versus the first run where engine warm up and or heat soak was not a factor. Bottom line the computers in our cars want the cars to be at full operating tempeture and running cooler seems to hurt performance.

We definetly have to do this again. and again, and again
Old 03-01-04, 11:20 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

That looks and sounds like an awesome meet.
The turnout was huge by the look of it.
Old 03-01-04, 11:39 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Richie
That looks and sounds like an awesome meet.
The turnout was huge by the look of it.
Richie,
you will literally be able to hear how the dyno meet sounded in the near future. I have a lot of video shot of the dyno runs in all their roaring glory.

The big deal about these A/V clips will be that the sound of the engines "under load" and with the exhaust bouncing off the back wall is quite dramatic.

I will announce when the sound clips will be available for download.

Stay Tuned.
Old 03-01-04, 12:28 PM
scottschoe
Rookie

Lexo_IS01's pix

Old 03-01-04, 12:34 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Richie,
you will literally be able to hear how the dyno meet sounded in the near future. I have a lot of video shot of the dyno runs in all their roaring glory.

The big deal about these A/V clips will be that the sound of the engines "under load" and with the exhaust bouncing off the back wall is quite dramatic.

I will announce when the sound clips will be available for download.

Stay Tuned.
Very nice man!!
Can't hardly wait
Old 03-01-04, 12:37 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Jim Meader

Also one thing that was consistant with all cars that ran, they all ran better numbers in the last two runs versus the first run where engine warm up and or heat soak was not a factor. Bottom line the computers in our cars want the cars to be at full operating tempeture and running cooler seems to hurt performance.
Aha, Jim has given me an out to explain my "poor" numbers. I did runs with the K&N and the stock air filter, but the format of the event allowed me to only perform a few pulls to keep the overall schedule on track. I'm sure my best run would have been my next run.

Last edited by redgs4; 03-01-04 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-01-04, 01:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

awesome pics redgs4, thanks yeah it was a very nice event. i promise, the next time we have a meet over there i will participate
Old 03-01-04, 01:26 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Hey, with Jim Meader's SC490, what kinda engine is this? is it a heavily bored out 1UZ-FE, or 2UZ-FE? The only 4.9 liter V8 I can think of is that semi-wretched abortion Cadillac was putting in all Its FWD cars in the early 90s.

Quick Reply: Dyno Day Follow Up