Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Where to get a Transmission Flush?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-04 | 09:12 AM
kokonutjc
Lead Lap

Default Where to get a Transmission Flush?

Hey Folks,

I'm thinking of getting a Transmission Flush for my 01 IS (auto) with almost 60K. Where is the best place to get it done other than the dealer? I am aware to make sure I replace it with Toyota Type IV fluid. Any suggestions where and how much it will cost me?

Thanks,

kokonutjc
Old 03-11-04 | 10:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

i just got my tranny (gs4) fully flush (pretty much all old fluid are gone) at exact motorsport. redgs4 did it last week i think, and rmmgs4 did it as well. we all love it. my car definitely shifts smoother now, i was amazed

their price is very good imho, they are honest that's a plus. they use a lot of fluids thoug, i used 16 quarts. reason being it's very hard to drain everything out. you go to dealer and they most likely just drop the pan and fill that up.

i highly recommend exact. (408) 416-0061, talk to john or sandy, tell them henry with blue gs400 refers you (they should know me well by now)
Old 03-11-04 | 10:36 AM
kokonutjc
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info Rominl
Old 03-11-04 | 12:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

you welcome
Old 03-11-04 | 04:34 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Yeah what Henry said.

Exact does a REAL flush, not just drain the pan and add 2 quarts.

Exact flushes using between roughly 15 to 20 quarts of oil. They have their own 'secret" way to do this flush. Not ALL shops will do this. You can tell by asking a shop how many quarts of oil they will charge you for. At roughly $5 a quart it's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I cannot tell you how much a difference this makes.

Forget the factory maintenance recommendations. I'd do it every 20 to 25k. Even if the oil has not broken down at that milage, that's not the point. All I care is that the tranny shifts sooo much smoother and the car accelerates smoother and faster.
Old 03-11-04 | 06:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Yeah what Henry said.

Exact does a REAL flush, not just drain the pan and add 2 quarts.

Exact flushes using between roughly 15 to 20 quarts of oil. They have their own 'secret" way to do this flush. Not ALL shops will do this. You can tell by asking a shop how many quarts of oil they will charge you for. At roughly $5 a quart it's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I cannot tell you how much a difference this makes.

Forget the factory maintenance recommendations. I'd do it every 20 to 25k. Even if the oil has not broken down at that milage, that's not the point. All I care is that the tranny shifts sooo much smoother and the car accelerates smoother and faster.
agree, my tranny is for sure very happy now. oh btw, my 16 quarts, it ran me quite a bit of money too. but it's ok
Old 03-11-04 | 09:19 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

What they said. I have most of my work done at exact, including normal service like oil & spark plug changes. Helps that they are just down the street from where I work. John and Sandy are great!

Last edited by redgs4; 03-11-04 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-12-04 | 08:19 AM
kokonutjc
Lead Lap

Just to let you guys know Toyota of Stevens Creek sells the Type IV fluid for $3.79/quart. Thanks again guys!
Old 03-12-04 | 09:28 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Originally posted by kokonutjc
Just to let you guys know Toyota of Stevens Creek sells the Type IV fluid for $3.79/quart. Thanks again guys!
I should have said the oil "retails" for roughly $5 a quart , but that is not what Exact charges.

John will give you a deal on the oil too.

BTW do you know what Stevens Creek charges for a flush (wih labor) and how many quarts they charge for?

That would be an interesting comparison.
Old 03-12-04 | 09:46 PM
white93
Rookie

Had my tranny flushed at Coliseum Lexus here in Oakland. Funny thing, I went to Magnussens Lexus in Fremont who wasn't able to do a flush. Didn't have the machine. They also told me NO Lexus dealer in the Bay Area had one either. Small little mistake, but I'll never give them ANY business.

12 quarts of TIV at WOW, $6.40 per quart.

With the $30.00 off cupon it cost me $173.14 with tax.

Don't know what you guys paid, but I was happy with the price.

Lee
Old 03-12-04 | 10:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

i got tons of stuff done at the same time so i don't know what a flush would cost, but he used 16 quarts for me car and i *THINK* the labor is about a bit more than an hour.

i just floored my car today. man the downshift was very impressive
Old 03-14-04 | 12:40 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by kokonutjc
Hanlees Hilltop Toyota in Richmond also charges the same amount too! I dunno, i've been doing the drain and fill method...
Old 03-14-04 | 09:40 AM
SexY10
Driver

Some GOOD info guys! I'm due for a tranny flush also. I'm still a little unclear but if i take my car to EXACT will they provide the fluids? or may i bring my own fluids and just have them do the labor work? I have a friend that works at toyota so i'm sure i can get a good deal on the fluids... I live far from San Jose but it is well worth me going to get this service done if these people know what they're doing. Modesto LEXUS staff are CLUELESS they have a bunch of teenagers working on our cars and i DON'T trust any of them from my previous experiences....
Old 03-14-04 | 11:43 AM
kokonutjc
Lead Lap

SexY10,
Exact will charge you $90.00 for labor if you bring your own fluids and they said they need 16 quarts.
Old 03-14-04 | 12:34 PM
SexY10
Driver

thank you, now does that 16 quarts also work for the IS300? i know you guys mostly own the GS400s.... $90 isnt bad....for the service that you guys are talking about I think it's well worth it..

Quick Reply: Where to get a Transmission Flush?