Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Heading to Exact Motorsports on Monday 6/7

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-04, 12:16 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm pretty new here, but I'm looking forward to the NorCal meet at the end of this month so I can network with some local members. Hopefully I can make it if my car is running well enough to do so.

Anyhow, I wanted to let everyone know that I'll be heading to Exact Motorsports on Monday 6/7 at 10AM to have my car looked at. So if anyone is interested in meeting up, please feel free to stop by. On a side note, I'm going there because my car has been idling funny and generating popping noises from the engine bay area. I was getting detonation a couple weeks ago, but now it's something different. Ahh, the pleasures of going with forced induction.

Last edited by bchau_gt; 06-09-04 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-04-04, 01:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

not sure about my schedule, but maybe some other guys will meet you up there

let me guess, another chinese here in the house?
Old 06-04-04, 01:33 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by rominl
not sure about my schedule, but maybe some other guys will meet you up there

let me guess, another chinese here in the house?
Good guess, how'd you know?
Old 06-04-04, 02:38 PM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Is Chinese the majority here?
Old 06-04-04, 02:43 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Don't know, but think about the demographics of the Bay Area. There are a lot of damn Asians around.
Old 06-04-04, 03:54 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bchau_gt
Ahh, the pleasures of going with forced induction.
Well, you caught my attention. Should be able to make 10:00a.

Last edited by redgs4; 06-04-04 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-04-04, 03:59 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by redgs4
Well, you caught my attention. When are you planning to be at Exact?
Haha! If FI is involved, red will find you.
Old 06-04-04, 04:03 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

redgs4, synergy, sbmgs4, kevgs4, jawnthen and myself were all there today. Not planned, but it ended up being a mini meet.

Just think how many will show if you tell us in advance.

I talked to John and he mentioned about your car. I am curious why you are having problems. I thought the set up was all good as far as the kit having everything needed to run properly and reliably?

Maybe we can talk more when you go there? I'm a little too busy to have a conversation right now on the forums.
Old 06-04-04, 04:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by bchau_gt
Good guess, how'd you know?
last name chau? yeah chinese people, so many here

and wait, FI? did i hear FI? ummm
Old 06-04-04, 04:19 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RMMGS4
I talked to John and he mentioned about your car. I am curious why you are having problems. I thought the set up was all good as far as the kit having everything needed to run properly and reliably?
RMM kit? Base or did you upgrade anything?

Just think how easy this would be for all of us if John [Exact] could do our installs. :-)
Old 06-04-04, 04:44 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

If I knew all of you GS guys were going to be there today I would've tried to stop by. I've been working from home today anyways. Hopefully some of you will be able to stop by again on Monday.

So, yes I have F/I. I had the PLP Vortech supercharger kit installed in my IS300 about a month and a half ago. However, I didn't have it installed at Exact Motorsports. I actually flew down Kane (Kanine21 from IS300.NET for those who know him) from Seattle to do the install. He's very familiar with the IS300 and actually removed my supercharger kit from the previous owner's car. He's also the guy who bought one of the first PFS stage 1 turbo kits and the first to install one in his own driveway.

Quick synopsis of why I'm going to Exact on Monday:
The install is fine and I probably have over 1600 miles on the car with the kit. However, a couple weekends ago I started getting detonation around 4000RPM during somewhat hard acceleration. I am pretty sure it is the classic Lexus ECU vs. piggy-back EMS problem where the stock ECU was leaning out my A/F towards 14.7:1. So I reset my ECU and I started experiencing random popping sounds from the engine bay and the RPMs fluctuated between 700-900 RPM at idle. I also filled up the car with 100 octane gas to make sure there is no more detonation, which I haven't experienced since resetting the ECU.

I can't figure out what's wrong with the car, and the experts on .NET have not been able to provide any suggestions as of yet. I spoke with is300soon from .NET earlier and he thinks maybe the cat on my stock y-pipe is burning up. That kind of makes sense because I think I'm running fairly rich right now and I really only experience the problems above after the car is warmed up. BTW, I have a Toyomoto header on the car too, so I already don't have the other 2 smaller cats.

So stop by Monday and maybe you can help John diagnosis the problem!
Old 06-04-04, 11:01 PM
SBMGS4
Lead Lap

Your woes were discussed with us by John. We're all curious to find out what's causing your issues, especially Glen.........

It was great to see some of the guys today..been awhile since I've had a chance to see any of them Glen just seems to bring people with him wherever he shows up.

Good luck with John on Monday..I'm going down tomorrow to pick up my car, but I have to work Monday or I would drop by just to check out your setup.
Old 06-04-04, 11:03 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Ha, that will teach me to make assumptions. I thought you had a GS. I assume you have reasons for not going to PLP or perhaps you already approached Mike. You don't have to answer that here, BTW.

Last edited by redgs4; 06-04-04 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-04-04, 11:19 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by redgs4
Ha, that will teach me to make assumptions. I thought you had a GS. I assume you have reasons for not going to PLP or perhaps you already approached Mike. You don't have to answer that here, BTW.
Well, I have no reason for not going to Mike at PLP, but I know he's always busy. I wouldn't expect him to take my appointment right away anyways, especially since I didn't purchase the kit directly from him (same thing with my other PLP items). The kit isn't under any warranty either. I was trying to get in touch with Dyno Labs (my tuner), but Ray over there has been busy as well. I've been wanting to stop by Exact anyways and their labor rates seem fair, and they had an opening. What kind of labor discounts are afforded to ClubLexus members anyhow? Hope to see some of you guys there Monday.

Last edited by bchau_gt; 06-04-04 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-07-04, 03:34 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Hey, sorry I was unable to make it today. My boss was supposed to be out of town which meant his Monday morning staff meeting would have been cancelled. I rolled into work at about 10:15a only to find he was in town and I was late.

Quick Reply: Heading to Exact Motorsports on Monday 6/7