Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Need Help on TEIN

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-05, 12:35 PM
Gs L-tune
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help on TEIN

I bought a used set TEIN HA and got it install and Exact MotorSport and that dude john F*** me over. The Coil stuck and i brought it back tell him to fix it for me and he said he gonna charge me another 180 to adjust it. I that want to pay that much just to adjust my god daym coilover. Does anyone know any other way to make it lose beside WD40?
Old 01-05-05, 12:40 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

When you say the spring "stuck" what do you mean? If the perches are locked then 180 is fair to cut them off and replace with new TEIN perches. Its no easy job
Old 01-05-05, 12:44 PM
Gs L-tune
Lead Lap

yea the perches stuck i spray the WD40 on and i all the bottom one out. All i need from that dude is use his air gun to shoot it to make it lose and he wants to charge me 180. When i already paid him 180 to put in on.
Old 01-05-05, 01:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

get this straight, first of all don't try to just "f" john when it's not sure what happened. john is a very respectable mechanic here in norcal, and a lot of us go there for service and mods. he's very nice and i have yet to hear a real reasonable complain about him. and he's been very helpful, often times chat and tell us a lot of information.

now please be more specific about what you want to do, and what he said exactly. i have been there to ask him to adjust the coilover for me, it was a dead on 40 bucks service, nothing more nothing less, 30 mins, period. either he misunderstood what you are trying to do or you didn't tell him correctly what you want to do.

if the perches (i assume that means the two locking coils at the bottom) they are stuck to the point that they can't move and have to be removed and replace by new ones, 180 is a bargain i am telling you. john he does NOT do things that are unsafe even if that means more money. if he thinks it's unsafe to use the power of air gun to loose anything, coz' it might damage the shock or cause a leak, he will not do it. a guy ask him to put on wheels that don't have the right lug pattern and he straight out refused to do it.

on a side note, when you purchased the coilover used, you should have tried to turn the locks first anyway
Old 01-05-05, 02:09 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gs L-tune,

Please call Exact to try and work something out. Sandy tried to call you but is not getting through to your phone.

It is not John's fault that the used HAs you bought had locked rings. There is a cost for him to fix the problem. Like rominl said, he will do his best within reason that is safe for him and the customer. If you think using an airgun will help and he disagrees, it is his shop, his equipment, his experience, and his prerogative to say no.

John has been very good to the NorCal members and would like to help but he has a business to run too. Anyway, call Exact when you have a chance.
Old 01-05-05, 07:08 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

I happened to stop by Exact after work today and was told about your situation. Now after reading your post, I can understand why there might have been a heated conversation between you and John. However, you must trust John's judgement given his experience with Lexus vehicles and installation of Tein products.

They still want to help you out and Sandy tried to call you to tell you to continue to spray the perches with WD-40 then visit them next week to try again, but she said your phone was disconnected or she couldn't get through. They can't be responsible for locked perches if you purchased the Tein HAs used and you received them like that.

From my understanding, John said that he would charge you another $180 because you requested for him to remove the coilovers and try to loosen the perches off the car. I can definitely understand him wanting to charge you for that labor if that is true.

If you approach John in a professional and friendly manner, then he will always try to help you out. Good luck in unlocking your perches and getting your desired ride height.
Old 01-05-05, 08:27 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

GS LTUNE, I know how frustrating it can be to purchase something and have issues. Please trust the judgement of your installer if your perches are locked. In all honesty 180 is bargain. I had my HA's installed at authorized dealer in MA and they charge something to the tune of 250 to remove the coils, cut off the old perches, clean the threads, install new perches and re-install coils.

Good luck once again!
Old 01-05-05, 10:04 PM
Gs L-tune
Lead Lap

Thx guys well i ain't tripping about paying another 180 or 200. The point is his wife asked me how low i want my car to be and i told her at least 2 inches. I also mention that my suspension have been used. I ask do i have to clean it and lose it first so make it easy for him and he told me that don't worry about it. 3 hours later i came back pick up my car the heigh still the same and i asked him how low did he low my car? He told me that he dropped it about 2 inches. So l like okay because everyone told me he does good job so i have nothing to worry about. I got home looked at my car and i'm not happy with the heigh so i jacked my car up and tried to drop little more. I found out that he didn't adjust anything all he did was put it on. So i like okay not big deal i can adjust myself and i tried to adjust it. The preches really hard i put WD40 on and everything. it didn't help at all so i brought back to John monday and he used his air gun to lose it for me. He lose the bottom one but not the top i think he doesn't want to break the top or whatever so i listen to him drive it and keep on spray WD40 on so it can lose. But that didn't help at all. S today i brought my car back and ask him nicely about my problem and what he told me was i bought used stuff so that what i get. I know i ain't that rich to pay for brand new one but i know GSnav don't play me like that. I still talk to him online and everything and he willing to pay me back my money. IF john did it right the first time i wouldn't have this problem. if he use compressor to lose my preches than everything gonna be fine. He be like if you want me to lose it i charge you 180. WTF is that i ain't tripping about the money but once you do the customer car he/she not happy try to fix it or charge at 50% or 75% not full price.
Old 01-05-05, 10:08 PM
Gs L-tune
Lead Lap

You think i would come back there? I know he help everyone in the club he even told me. My uncle charge me 150 for doing that but i didn't do it. Just because everyone told me that he does good job and i went there and i end up got f** up. My homeboy has same situation he just put it on and didn't adjust for him. Honestly all this i can do it myself at home, it just that i don't have air gun to take it off.
Old 01-05-05, 10:30 PM
Gs L-tune
Lead Lap

Look at this picture right here and tell me does my car look like 2 inch drop?
Old 01-05-05, 10:31 PM
Gs L-tune
Lead Lap

another one
Old 01-05-05, 10:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

okok, everyone has spoken, let's all take a deep breath and see what's going on now.

first of all, i want you to know that john and sandy they WANT to help. if they don't , they will not be trying to call you all day long today. and we all want to help here too, if not, neo wouldn't have called exact and asked what happened, neo and i wouldn't have talked on the phone about what's going on, and bchau wouldn't have said what he did here. so for now let's focus on how to resolve the issue. you paid the money already, and i am sure as long as it's reasonable, john will do what he can

your car was on stock suspension right? and you changed to the HA, and asked for a 2" drop, correct? is your car 2" lower than stock now? how many finger gap do you have? i am asking this coz' personally i think this is where the mis-communication is. maybe to them your car is already dropped by 2 inches, so they didn't touch the preches. but you don't think it's enough and want to lower more.

maybe you can ask john to see why he doesn't want to use the air gun to loosen the top preches too. seriously, he will explain to you if he thinks it's unsafe.

i think everything lies with trust and communications. if you want, i am sure one of us will be more than happy to go with you to john's place and help resolve this. i just have to say that john is not the kind of person who will just work for money. if he thinks something isn't necessary, he will just tell you not to waste the money. many times to me and people i know already. that's what really earned my respect. so i think if he refused to do it for you, there must be a reason.

with that said, i WONDER (a bit wonder) if he thinks it's really unsafe to use the air gun to loosen the preche, and he would prefer to have the coilovers off the car to adjust it that way (to loosen the preches). now since to them your car is already lowered by 2" (maybe from stock), so they dont' see the immediate obligation there.

again it's a big maybe. i am not trying to stir things up even more, i am trying to help. let's try to see how we can make this right again. definitely keep us posted
Old 01-05-05, 10:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

do you have picture showing the side of the front wheel with how many finger gap? honestly i have forgotten how high a stock car is, but let's see

btw, nice mods for the cars you got there so far
Old 01-05-05, 10:52 PM
Gs L-tune
Lead Lap

thx Rominl and Neo. Well i know all of you want to keep it kool in here and with john. I have no problem with that. I even willing to pay double the amount of money to get my car done. If you ask him whats going on and what I told them when i first went there and how i want my car to be like. Then you will understand why I'm so mad. I know my **** was used and it does have some rust on the preches thats why i want to clean it off and try to lose it first before i put it on. I even told John that you want me to clean it off and lose it before you put it on. He told me don't worry about it. If you follow me here, so i like okay he seem like he noes what he doing so why am i tripping for. After 3 hours i came back pick up my car I know my car wasn't 2 inch drop rite away because my old GS had Tein S Tech on it which was 1.7 front and 1.8 rear that look even lower than my GS rite now suppose to be 2 inch drop. So tell me if you were me what you gonna do? I will take more pix on the side tomorrow and show to you see i'm right or wrong. Everyone in my family own Lex so easy to tell it lower than other or not. My brother in law on Tein HA too his 2 in drop way lower than mine. Tell that dude he lucky that my brother in law didn't come to his shop today.
Old 01-05-05, 11:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Gs L-tune
. Tell that dude he lucky that my brother in law didn't come to his shop today.
Is that a threat?

Quick Reply: Need Help on TEIN