Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Martial Arts School

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-05, 07:30 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Martial Arts School

Does anyone know a good school in the Tri-Valley area, particularly Dublin, Pleasanton, and possibly San Ramon? I am focusing on Tae Kwon Do but am not married to it. I've found a few from looking around but personal recommendations are always assuring. I just thought I'd check before calling and visiting a bunch of schools.

Oh, this is for my kids (elementary school age).

Thanks.
Old 03-21-05, 10:00 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to ask Jeff (blue_j). He knows of a Jeet Kune Do instructor in Hayward, but I don't think it's a formal school, but he may know of other schools/disciplines in the area. If you don't recall, JKD is the art developed by Bruce Lee.
Old 03-23-05, 06:21 PM
inkblot
Pole Position

Thanks B.

Sorry, I missed this post.

If you are interested in Jeet Kune Do, I can direct you to an excellent instructor in Hayward. He and his father are very closely connected to Bruce Lee and James Yim Lee. However, like Brian mentioned, it's not a formal school, but it's not really geared towards kids either. There were a couple guys about 13 or under but most of us are in our 20's/30's or older. Felix's site is at:

http://taoofgungfu.com/

After I began studying Jeet Kune Do, I felt it was the most flexible and versatile form (or form of no form I should say ).

However, if you're looking for Tae Kwon Do, I've heard alot about this one:

http://www.juestkd.com/

It seems a bit commercial though, but may be what you're looking for if you want one that is more kid-friendly.

Don't feel tied down to any one. Most places will allow you and your kids to "try out" a few times to see if it's a good fit. Good luck in your search!

-Jeff

Last edited by inkblot; 03-23-05 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-23-05, 08:13 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Oops, I forgot you're "inkblot" on here and "blue_j" at my.is
Old 03-23-05, 10:05 PM
inkblot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bchau_gt
Oops, I forgot you're "inkblot" on here and "blue_j" at my.is

No worries...I'm the one with the identity crisis
Old 03-24-05, 12:42 AM
Neo
The One

Thanks for the suggestions. It is definitely for the kids. I want them to start something that will give them some physical training while getting discipline from another point of view. Plus, eventually being able to take care of/defend themselves is a bonus.
Old 03-27-05, 01:04 AM
Neo
The One

Thanks Sam.

I'll look into it. Their schedule is offline so I can't see when their classes are. San Leandro is the closest and it is a 20-30 minute drive (depending on traffic) so it would be harder to schedule for the kids if the class times are restrictive. It does look interesting as I see a number of Wu Shu instructors. I had friends who learned Wu Shu and they liked it a lot.
Old 03-27-05, 11:48 PM
inkblot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Premier Mobile
Check out http://www.omeikungfu.com/ . Mr. Chen was my partner many years ago when he first arrived from China back in 97. He is a 4 times National Champion in China along w/ many other credentials...........give him a call and tell him I sent you (Sam)
Yes!

That's another excellent school. My coworker's son is a student there and may be getting into Wu Shu soon. If you need more details on it, let me know.

-Jeff