Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

East Bay - looking for some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-05 | 12:12 PM
inkblot
Pole Position

Default East Bay - looking for some help

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for help on 2 things:

1) I'd like to paint my calipers and add the Lexus logo to them...along the lines of the amazing job Glen did to his wife's car. Who can I bribe to help with that? I don't trust myself removing the calipers. I'd be grateful to provide the paint, food and moral support

2) I've got a sub in the trunk and would like to Dynamat (or comparable) the left side and the trunk lid (if necessary) and don't know who to look to for that. Brian (bchauGT) once mentioned he had some of that sound deadening that you "paint on" from a group buy here awhile ago. Not sure how to go about it. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance.

-Jeff
Old 03-31-05 | 03:54 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by inkblot
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for help on 2 things:

1) I'd like to paint my calipers and add the Lexus logo to them...along the lines of the amazing job Glen did to his wife's car. Who can I bribe to help with that? I don't trust myself removing the calipers. I'd be grateful to provide the paint, food and moral support

2) I've got a sub in the trunk and would like to Dynamat (or comparable) the left side and the trunk lid (if necessary) and don't know who to look to for that. Brian (bchauGT) once mentioned he had some of that sound deadening that you "paint on" from a group buy here awhile ago. Not sure how to go about it. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance.

-Jeff
Unless you have to have the whole caliper painted, you can get away with painting most of it. This way, you can leave it on the car. Just mask off everything else, including covering the car to protect against overspray. This is what I did for my rear. You just need to take the wheels off, put the car on jack stands, mask using tape and newspaper (cover the rotors, pads area, wheel well, basically anywhere you don't want paint), and just spray. Get some hight temp paint and high temp clear. When I did it, the color paint can go up to 1200 degrees but the clear only goes up to 500, which is fine.

I sprayed 5 coats of black (with appropriate wait intervals written on the can), sticker, then 3 coats of clear. The wait interval is CRUCIAL, otherwise you want to get runny paint.

Doing it this way, you ca't really see the unpainted parts unless you have the wheels off and are looking behind the rotor. Depending how well you mask and if you have room, you can even paint that rear area. I did not do that.

As for sound deadening, Brian went with the people in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128846

They are the ones that had the GB.
Old 04-01-05 | 09:48 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Neo is correct. I bought the eDead liquid sound deadener. If you want it from me, let me know. I haven't even opened the package it came in since I received it last year. It's just been sitting in my trunk all this time and I don't really need it.

I originally bought this stuff to do my trunk to help deaden exhaust noise and drone. However, I ended up swapping out my Dragger II for an L-Tuned exhaust instead, so I don't really need it anymore.