Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Molding TTE spoiler to bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-05, 12:33 PM
BillGS3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Molding TTE spoiler to bumper

Just curious to know if anyone had the TTE front lip spoiler molded to the bumper done in the Bay Area. Brought the car for an estimate, they were saying that it needs some screws to hold it in place, covered the screws and paint it. The spoiler is already painted though.

Anyone?

Thank much.

Bill.
Old 04-01-05, 02:06 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The TTE lip is held on with screws and adhesive. Getting it molded on is doable. This basically means that all the seams are filled and painted so that it looks like it is part of the bumper. The caveat is that if you bang the bumper (scraping, hitting, ...) enough so that it cracks the seams, the paint will crack too. Although it may never happen, it is a possibility that you will need to be ready for.
Old 04-01-05, 05:02 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Synergy molded on his TTE lip. His is holding up actually quite well and I don't believe it will crack very easy since the glue is flexible as well.

The key is to use the same adhesive used to repair the plastic bumpers. Any reputable body shop should be able to figure this out.

Several of us NorCal locals have a paint guy that we trust to work on our cars. He does this on the side, so we can't really advertise him as if he has a store front. He does do his work in a warehouse garage that has a paint booth available. He has done painting for me, Synergy, redgs4, Solo, Jawnthen and others.

You really want a painter who does body kits , etc, cause the regular paint shops aren't used to fitting and tweeking the parts to fit and parts that require gluing, etc. They are so used to painting OEM parts that fit like a glove and just bolt on. Trying to paint an aftermarket bodykit before even test fitting it is not a good thing. Any body shop that doesn't know better is one to stay away from.

As I said, the guy does this on the side from his regular day time painting job. All his referrals are by word of mouth. If you want good work, can accomodate his part time availability schedule and can pay cash, our painter may be for you.

He is completely re-painting one of my other vehicles right now. I'll post pics of that job when it's done.

PM me for more info if you're interested.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-01-05 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-01-05, 05:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

imho if you are molding it, might as well put on couple more screws to make it stronger
Old 04-01-05, 06:51 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by rominl
imho if you are molding it, might as well put on couple more screws to make it stronger
I can't remember if Synergy used the screws, but they are not visible so it could of been covered up.

The screws are good for holding the spoiler in place while the glue sets. After it hardens, you can actually take out the screws and fill the holes in. If you use polyurethane glue all the way around, I think it might be OK without screws. That stuff is damn strong when it dries.
Old 04-01-05, 07:17 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Synergy molded on his TTE lip. His is holding up actually quite well and I don't believe it will crack very easy since the glue is flexible as well.
That's good to know.
Old 04-03-05, 06:58 PM
BillGS3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the useful tips. I'll PM RmmGS4 for the guy's name.

Old 04-03-05, 11:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I can't remember if Synergy used the screws, but they are not visible so it could of been covered up.

The screws are good for holding the spoiler in place while the glue sets. After it hardens, you can actually take out the screws and fill the holes in. If you use polyurethane glue all the way around, I think it might be OK without screws. That stuff is damn strong when it dries.
well, but why take out the screws then? they won't make it weaker, might as well keep them there?
Old 04-03-05, 11:59 PM
RMMGS4

well, but why take out the screws then? they won't make it weaker, might as well keep them there?
The screw heads stick out. If you remove them, you can fill the hole and have no sign that they were ever there. Looks cleaner if you dont see screws. If you counter sink the screws into the lip, you can putty over the top, but then there's a chance that there will be round hairline cracks chance over time. The dis-similar metal screw and poly lip sometimes don't get along.
Old 04-04-05, 02:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

The screw heads stick out. If you remove them, you can fill the hole and have no sign that they were ever there. Looks cleaner if you dont see screws. If you counter sink the screws into the lip, you can putty over the top, but then there's a chance that there will be round hairline cracks chance over time. The dis-similar metal screw and poly lip sometimes don't get along.
oic what you are sayingm you are talking about putting screws on the surface huh? i was thinking about putting screws at the bottom of the lip screwing them upward.
Old 04-04-05, 10:55 AM
RMMGS4

oic what you are sayingm you are talking about putting screws on the surface huh? i was thinking about putting screws at the bottom of the lip screwing them upward.
I saw screws in the front that someone posted a while ago, but now that you mention it, they might have added those themselves.

So yeah, if they go from underneath, like you said, no sense in taking them out.
Old 04-04-05, 11:15 AM
Neo
The One

I saw screws in the front that someone posted a while ago, but now that you mention it, they might have added those themselves.

So yeah, if they go from underneath, like you said, no sense in taking them out.
Yeah, screws should not be visible from the front as the "normal" TTE lip install. I believe there is only 2 on the outside edges near the wheel well. The rest are on via the adhesive. This is what I remember by the way. It has been awhile since I've had to deal with the lip.
Old 04-04-05, 12:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ah gotcha, now we are on the same page glen yup, the screws from the front those are extra, some shops they couldn't stick the thing on nice so they decide to find a better way