Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Help -- Bay Area Dyno Shop Referral Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-05, 10:01 AM
inkblot
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help -- Bay Area Dyno Shop Referral Needed!

Hi All,

(I'm cross-posting this from the regional forum on my.is since there are quite a few who don't read both forums). Your recommendation is needed ASAP!

I need to get my exhaust cam gear installed and then a dyno tune with my s-afc2. Can anyone please refer me to a very reputable shop that can do this???

As I've mentioned before, I was going to have it installed at Exact and then go to the tuner (ATP in Fremont) recommended by John but their dyno is down for repairs/maintenance for a few weeks. I was going to try RaceTune in Hayward, but they too are out for a few weeks.

Please help!

Brian suggested a few in the area:
* Dynospot Racing in San Jose
* Speed Merchant in San Jose
* Advanced Tuning Products (ATP Turbo) in Fremont (currently n/a)

Your referrals would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

P.S. The ASAP is b/c I'm experiencing what feels like timing issues where the car is shuddering in freeway driving or stalls out at low RPM's. I haven't modified the settings on the s-afc yet...guessing the ECU is struggling with signals that may be coming from the s-afc.
Old 04-14-05, 08:47 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Jeff,
Whatever you do, do not hand over your keys to the idiots at ATP.
I've heard some really bad things about them, and I have no idea why John would refer you to them.
It's a cheap dyno, but I can tune your car on the street, blind-folded better than they can on the dyno.
Check toward the bottom of the first page and the second page of THIS thread.

Dyno Spot on the other hand gets nothing but good review and a few of my buddies have gotten their NA-Ts tuned there.
Here's a thread with a few good words about DSR: http://supraforums.com/forum/showthr...&highlight=atp

Do you know what's going on at Racetune?

Cheers,
~Alan
Old 04-14-05, 10:52 AM
inkblot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe
Hey Jeff,
Whatever you do, do not hand over your keys to the idiots at ATP.
I've heard some really bad things about them, and I have no idea why John would refer you to them.
It's a cheap dyno, but I can tune your car on the street, blind-folded better than they can on the dyno.
Check toward the bottom of the first page and the second page of THIS thread.

Dyno Spot on the other hand gets nothing but good review and a few of my buddies have gotten their NA-Ts tuned there.
Here's a thread with a few good words about DSR: http://supraforums.com/forum/showthr...&highlight=atp

Do you know what's going on at Racetune?

Cheers,
~Alan
Alan,

Good looking out! Thanks so much for the info. I was on there last night searching SupraForums for dyno info. I'll definitely check out DSR. I'm wondering if there could also be a bad solder or a misbehaving O2 sim (no CEL's showing though). If anyone can help, DSR sounds like they can. If things work out with them, I'll really owe you one!!!

Not sure what's going on with RaceTune...their site says they'll be closed until the 19th b/c they'll be out at Japan for D1. I guess they're my fall-back choice since they've got some 2JZ-GE experience under their belt as well. I asked John/Sandy why they suggested ATP and their reason was b/c that's the only shop where they know the owners and have experience with them (saying they didn't want to send anyone to a place where they've heard of engines blowing and whatnot)...guess they didn't hear some of the horror stories about them...makes me even more concerned being that their Dyno is out of service for 3 weeks! Must be a sign!

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

-Jeff
Old 04-14-05, 10:37 PM
inkblot
Pole Position

Appointment set up for next week with DSR. Thanks to Alan and Brian for the recommendations!

-J
Old 04-14-05, 10:40 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Jeff, another place you can try is Black Trax. They're located somewhere in San Jose and I'm pretty sure that's where sqwerlmstr03 (Ray) on my.is with the SRT Stage 2 got his car fixed and tuned. Try to contact him.

The reason I didn't go to DSR (even though they were close to where I lived) is because they didn't have experience with the EManage, but they're probably fine with a SAFC.
Old 04-14-05, 10:46 PM
inkblot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bchau_gt
Jeff, another place you can try is Black Trax. They're located somewhere in San Jose and I'm pretty sure that's where sqwerlmstr03 (Ray) on my.is with the SRT Stage 2 got his car fixed and tuned. Try to contact him.

The reason I didn't go to DSR (even though they were close to where I lived) is because they didn't have experience with the EManage, but they're probably fine with a SAFC.
Thanks. Yeah, the guy I spoke to (Lawrence) seemed fine with it when I mentioned I had an SAFC.

Blacktrax looks promising also: http://www.blacktrax.net/

Thanks again!
Old 04-15-05, 09:09 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

No problem Jeff.
Wish I didn't have to work the 9-5 so i could stop by when you're there.
What day and time is your appointment?

~Alan
Old 04-15-05, 10:40 AM
inkblot
Pole Position

I'm scheduled for 2pm this upcoming Thursday. Working half day and then heading out to their shop in S.J. I think traffic out of my area through 680S should be OK at that time, only about 35 min away. Hopefully everything will go well. They said it will probably take no more than 2 hours.