Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Cant get SMOGGED!! help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 10:59 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PineGreen
Welcome to Cali. Exhausts should be fine (like Rominl) said, as long as they are cat back. If the cat is removed, then that is a different story. Any intake that does not have a CARB legal sticker on it is technically illegal in CA. Btw, if you do have an intake on a car that has a CARB legal sticker, you might want to double check that the sticker is still there if you leave your car anywhere for service. Seedy mechanics have been known to unpeel those stickers and sell them to other peeps cuz if a smog tech sees an exhaust w/o a CARB legal sticker, they won't do the test.
I didnt know exhausts had CARB numbers????? I thought it was just paper work from the company saying its legal. I have never seen CARB numbers on exhausts before. Just intakes and headers. If you smog your car in california and you have a CARB number on the part, they will NOT smog it. I had a CARB number on my header on my old car and they 3 different shops said they wouldnt touch it. I also got pulled over by the CHP twice and got my hood popped twice. My intake was a custom intake I had made so it did not have a CARB number. The first time I got popped they gave me a stern warning and told me to remove it ASAP. The second time I got popped they sent me to the STATE REFEREE! ( dun dun duunnnn ) In Cali if you are cought with something that has to do with emissions and does not have a CARB number on it, you get sent to the State Ref. If your motor is too heavily modified, to the State Ref you go. I had to post bail at almost $500.

For those of you who dont know, The State Referee is just a station usually located at your local college that is runned by the CHP. If you are sent there you must pass or the car can no longer be driven on the streets. What they do is smog your car til it passes. With them you can actually have a CARB number on stuff and still pass. You must also pass the visual inspection as well. They are real strict so be careful. I know in iexas you can go savage as far as modifying a car with no problem. Here in Cali the Feds have rules .
Old 05-23-05, 01:54 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, meant Intake w/o CARB sticker. My bad.
Old 05-24-05, 04:30 PM
Lexologist
Driver

I really appreciate it...

Today I decided to go in my local area for one last chance... stopped at a random smog center and flirted with a girl at the station counter and was able to pass the smog tests!

I told her about the intake and she told me it "shouldnt be a problem"(they wouldnt let me speak to the technican directly!).

She went into the work area with the tecnician for about 10 minutes when they first pulled the car in. After 20 minutes, she told me it passed the "visual" inspection and "winked" meaning the car engine had not been modified (specifically the larger intake) and of course it passed emmsions, w/ the ECU!

I thanked her of course and returned the wink and smile. Now I have to pay 2% of the cars value to register....ai..ai..ai

Next time I have to do that I think I will paint the intake in flat black and maybe it will go under the radar.

A little flirting goes a long way; some things dont change...
Old 05-24-05, 05:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow damn now that's a nice deal isn't it? awesome man

so now pleae tech us how you did the "wink"?
Old 05-24-05, 05:47 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PineGreen
Sorry, meant Intake w/o CARB sticker. My bad.
Hahah its cool.
Old 05-24-05, 05:48 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Hey good to hear you passed! I want to see how you did the wink too!
Was it like this ->
Old 05-25-05, 12:25 AM
Lexologist
Driver

Think slow grin....multiple candid winks...and a calm voice.

You imitating 007 after ordering a few Martinis...minus a little sauve and the cool toys.

Looks play a part somewhere, Im sure.
Old 06-17-05, 09:36 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always wondered how do guys in Cali w/ FI installed survive the visual inspections. they must really have connections