Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

State Referee and Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-05, 12:43 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry State Referee and Exhausts

..for all the California people
I hear that if you get pulled over for having your exhaust modded you no longer get fix-it tickets for those. I hear the police are sending people straight to the State Referee now. Can someone confirm and make sure this is true? The State Referee is my worst nightmare
Old 06-12-05, 05:38 AM
tkracing
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it depends on how bad a day he's having. I got pulled over last week for tinted windows and when I started to ask why he said that if I didnt shutup he would nail me for my exhaust and make me pop my hood. I think it also depends on what you got pulled over for.
NEVER have I been pulled over for just my exhaust but it can happen.

Last edited by tkracing; 06-12-05 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-12-05, 02:34 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Aww man what a rude cop. I've gotten my hood popped twice and the officers were nice. They just know whats up nowadays. I still want to know if the new law that was supposably passed is true?
Old 06-12-05, 04:46 PM
blaznsc4
Lexus Test Driver

my bro just got pulled over last month in his mr2 turbo. he got a fixed it ticket w/ state ref. he got pulled over in berkeley. he got pulled over cuz his exhaust was too loud and it was hella shiny so the cop pulled him over. well the ticket was $300+ and after taxes it was $400+. so my bro just payed off the ticket rather than going through all the hassle to put his car back to stock and going through state ref.
Old 06-13-05, 12:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
Aww man what a rude cop. I've gotten my hood popped twice and the officers were nice. They just know whats up nowadays. I still want to know if the new law that was supposably passed is true?
i don't think the cop was being rude, i think he was pretty nice already

and yes, i did hear that now they just send you to referee. i know a friend of mine got pulled and sent to referee. and now he got another sticker for his exhaust
Old 06-13-05, 01:16 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't think the cop was being rude, i think he was pretty nice already

and yes, i did hear that now they just send you to referee. i know a friend of mine got pulled and sent to referee. and now he got another sticker for his exhaust
Noooooooo! . Soo..in order to recieve this sticker im assuming you have to have it decibal tested with the State Ref and pay an extra fee?
Old 06-13-05, 02:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Noooooooo! . Soo..in order to recieve this sticker im assuming you have to have it decibal tested with the State Ref and pay an extra fee?
yup, sounds like so....
Old 06-16-05, 01:16 AM
White98ARISTO
Goldmember

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I got pulled over in Torrance, in so cal, earlier in the year for my exhaust and intake. I have Apexi Dunks w/ 5" tips, so its noticeable, but not that loud. And I had to go straight to referee to test. And also the cop wrote it as "non correctable", even though it is "correctable" so the ticket was for $450 and I had to go to court to fight ticket. I went to referee and paid an extra $50 to test smog and db test exhaust. I passed everything, which I already know I would. After wasting 3 months of my time, I got a check back for $440, but in the end I lost $60 and wasted 3 months of time for doing absolutely nothing wrong. Damn I HATE Torrance cops. But not I have papers showing that my car is legal.

Tommy
Old 06-16-05, 12:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by White98ARISTO
I got pulled over in Torrance, in so cal, earlier in the year for my exhaust and intake. I have Apexi Dunks w/ 5" tips, so its noticeable, but not that loud. And I had to go straight to referee to test. And also the cop wrote it as "non correctable", even though it is "correctable" so the ticket was for $450 and I had to go to court to fight ticket. I went to referee and paid an extra $50 to test smog and db test exhaust. I passed everything, which I already know I would. After wasting 3 months of my time, I got a check back for $440, but in the end I lost $60 and wasted 3 months of time for doing absolutely nothing wrong. Damn I HATE Torrance cops. But not I have papers showing that my car is legal.

Tommy
good story tommy, i remember you told me about that before. yes cops in torrance are *** in most cases, they are very ****.

it's weird though, that he sent you to referee but at the same time he wrote you the non correctable tickets.... and made you fought for so long to get the money back

but good move, don't let them earn our bloody money
Old 06-17-05, 09:16 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

What a huge waste of time..
Old 06-19-05, 10:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

What a huge waste of time..
well i would rather pay all those money to someone else than to cops...

plus he gets a sticker, that's good thing i guess
Old 06-19-05, 11:16 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blaznsc4
my bro just got pulled over last month in his mr2 turbo. he got a fixed it ticket w/ state ref. he got pulled over in berkeley. he got pulled over cuz his exhaust was too loud and it was hella shiny so the cop pulled him over. well the ticket was $300+ and after taxes it was $400+. so my bro just payed off the ticket rather than going through all the hassle to put his car back to stock and going through state ref.
Well, the Berkeley PD will pull you over for driving anything besides a Prius or a Insight, me and my friend were cruisng down University Ave. in his Mercedes 300SD and we saw this Blazer get pulled over for doing NOTHING.
Old 06-20-05, 10:56 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

You can't possibly know what cops pull people over for.
Maybe he had expired registration.
Maybe it was a stolen car.

I hate when cops abuse their powers, but when I see them pull someone over, I assume they have one reason or another.

~Alan
Old 06-24-05, 05:54 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

true, they'll get you for just about anything. Even stuff youve never even heard of. But hey, its their job to enforce the laws right.
Old 06-26-05, 07:44 PM
HighOctane
Rookie

Berkeley police are pretty strict about tint/exhaust/basically anything ... I got 2 tickets within 3 months for tint. Asked me to pop my hood on one of the pull-overs, but I got nothing but dusty plastic covers. I also got questioned for my exhaust, but never ticketed (I have HKS).

Quick Reply: State Referee and Exhausts