Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Begining of Summer Meet V2 : Follow Up Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-05, 09:15 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Beginning of Summer Meet V2 : Follow Up Discussion Thread

Thanks all for coming today. Special thanks to AL7EZZA, Teeman, Flipside909 and xxxalwaysspeedinxxx for helping set up this meet. Special thanks to SOLO for the great flyers, as usual.

Please post pics in the other meet thread. Any comments about the meet please reply here. I am also looking for feedback on Custom Alignment's seminar. I know it ran long, so I will start by saying that they gave a very enlightening and sometimes humorous seminar, though our attention spans were not the greatest for an early Saturday Morning. Needless to say, I'm very sure that those who attended the CuStOm aLiGnMeNt seminar found it to be a wealth of information.

I won't get into the details of what we learned, but general I think the did a good job sending a general message that:

1. Not all wheel balancing and mounting machines / processes are the same and the High End equipment allows Custom Alignment to perform a far superior job than almost all shops in the Bay Area.

2. With regards to performing alignment, Custom Alignment "Tunes" your suspension according to your SPECIFIC suspension set up, including tire/wheel combination, ride height, coilover settings, driving application, etc. This means tthey do not set your car to a standard toe, camber & castor settings, because NO TWO cars are exactly alike. This is why I say they TUNE your car where other shops just align to generic values.

If anyone is deciding to go to Custom Alignment based on a price comparison alone, I believe most of those who attended this seminar could sight the many reasons why Custom Alignment does so much much more than other shops.

This is truly an area where you get what you pay for. Saving money in alignment, can in the long term cost you in early tire wear, loss in gas milage, vibration, shimmy and other handling problems. Often these symptoms are perceived as normal wear and tear when in actuality the orignal alignment job may have greatly contributed to these problems.

I encourage all to comment on the seminar as well as general meet comments.

Hope to see you at our next meet coming in July 23.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-20-05 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-18-05, 10:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Great job everyone and the NorCal hospitality is great like always. It was well worth waking up early Saturday morning to drive down and learn real tire and suspension setup/tuning! There was a wealth of knowledge packed into one morning. Met up with great people and a great environment. Weather although spotty turned out great regardless. See you guys again soon.
Old 06-19-05, 09:55 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks to Glen and the others who made this happen. The seminar was very informative and tis nice to see a shop do things properly and not take any shortcuts.
Old 06-19-05, 10:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

thanks to everyone for the meet too, glad to see everyone there. not a lot of cars, but still very decent turn out imho. cool way to set off summer time
Old 06-19-05, 10:31 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not the biggest turn-out we've had, but I thought everything was perfect: perfect number of cars so no parking issues or overcrowding, perfect *weird* weather to allow for sunlight and overcast pics, perfect number for the cruise and second/third destination meet, and the whole meet moved along at just the right pace so that most everyone stuck around 'till the end. The Norcal crew is getting so efficient and effective at slapping together first-class meets, it's become second nature. Custom alignment had a lot to do with the success too. From the nice quiet venue to the excellent seminar and discussion on suspension dynamics, they really made it happen for us. Thanks again to everyone.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-20-05 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-20-05, 12:20 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice to see everyone again. I don't think BOS is supposed to be THE big turnout meet. We had at least 30 cars there so it was not shabby either.

And Rich, how come you keep insisting that Custom Alignment is in Redwood City?
Old 06-20-05, 12:45 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neo
Nice to see everyone again. I don't think BOS is supposed to be THE big turnout meet. We had at least 30 cars there so it was not shabby either.

And Rich, how come you keep insisting that Custom Alignment is in Redwood City?

It's not??? I mean, no I didn't!!! Damn, I'm still tired......
Old 06-20-05, 12:52 AM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

sorry i missed you guys over at custom alignment....great pics, never seen that parking lot with so few porsche's. Anytime i go there, i'm usually the lone lexus. Well sounds like after their seminar, that'll change.

alright, gotta go...ya'll might start to think that I'm back or something.
Old 06-20-05, 01:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by lex400sc
It's not??? I mean, no I didn't!!! Damn, I'm still tired......
hahhaaa, get more rest man
Old 06-20-05, 08:49 AM
JyGS430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BC-GS430
Thanks to Glen and the others who made this happen. The seminar was very informative and tis nice to see a shop do things properly and not take any shortcuts.
I would like to second this, much props to Glen and the rest of the crew for putting this together. I also want to thank Elizabeth for the cool Lexus of Glendale freebies.

Just curious, how many do plan on having services done at Custom Alignment. I will be getting tires this year and am serious about going there. Also, what do you guys think about the cost since it is about double what other regular places charge (I think mount/balance 4 tires was $125, and 4 whl alignment w/o corner weighting was approx. $240).
Old 06-20-05, 10:47 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Excellent meet. It was good seeing a lot of people again and nice meeting others. The technical seminar by Custom Alignment was great. I wish more people stuck around to listen to the whole thing. It was definitely worthwhile, and I'm glad that I took my car there for its last alignment.

Great job by Glen and others for organizing and running this meet. I look forward to the next one. Hopefully I'll still have the IS then, but even if I don't I'll still probably attend these awesome ClubLexus meets.
Old 06-20-05, 12:07 PM
IS JOE
Rookie

Great meet! The seminar was very informative. Big thanks to the organizers and it was great seeing a lot of old faces and meeting new ones!
Old 06-20-05, 12:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by JyGS430
I would like to second this, much props to Glen and the rest of the crew for putting this together. I also want to thank Elizabeth for the cool Lexus of Glendale freebies.

Just curious, how many do plan on having services done at Custom Alignment. I will be getting tires this year and am serious about going there. Also, what do you guys think about the cost since it is about double what other regular places charge (I think mount/balance 4 tires was $125, and 4 whl alignment w/o corner weighting was approx. $240).
you bet i am going back for alignment. i have been there once and was very impressed already, so i don't see why not going back
Old 06-20-05, 03:41 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't even get to a chance to meet you, Neo. I've seen your name pop up here and there.

oh well, stop by and see me next time. I'm sure I'll be working the desk at the next meet.

Glen, we should talk about a mini cruise and snack at the next event.
I'm thinking the folks like to take a short ride after the meet and grab a bite to eat afterwards.

What's that route that you had in mind down to Saratoga?

teeman3
Old 06-20-05, 04:16 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by teeman3
I didn't even get to a chance to meet you, Neo. I've seen your name pop up here and there.
Sorry. I came a little late. I saw you as we did meet before at last year's cruise. Anyways, there are a few more meets coming up so no worries.

Quick Reply: Begining of Summer Meet V2 : Follow Up Discussion Thread