Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Bushing installs at Exact.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-06 | 09:34 PM
leeshdw
Driver

Default Bushing Install with minor problems?

I dropped my car off this morning at 11am. While I was there I asked John to flip my front tires since the insde wall is wearing unevenly due to the camber. Finished the paper work and took off to Stanford Shopping Mall with the wife. Finally got a call from Sandy around 4pm telling me the car is done and ready to be picked up. So I got there little after 5. Did more paper work and got my keys to the car. I backed the car out and was driving slowly (under 10mph) to get out of the parking lot. I noticed the "ABS","VSC",VSC off" light all on. So I backed up and John came out. Showed him the lights and he said to turn off my engine and restart it. The lights were off, he explained to me that the ABS sensors are very sensitive and some how one of my wheel must of slipped when I was accelerating. So I said OK and took off.

After dinner and doing the same, backed out of the parking space and heading to go out of the parking lot. I noticed the lights all on again, so I did the same turned off the engine and restarted. All lights went away.
When I got to my mom's house and made a 3 point u-turn. I noticed all the lights on again. So like the previous times I restarted the engine and the lights stayed off.

I will try to call John tomorrow and see if I can bring the car in and have him check the sensors.

Impressions on the bushings: Only thing I can see a huge difference is the steering response is tighter. I only have about 40K on the car.

Ron (BC-GS430) I will be in town till tomorrow night. Give me a call if you want to drive it around.
Old 01-27-06 | 10:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

umm interesting. if it continues it's definitely not good. definitely call john up tomorrow to let him know, and take it back in if necessary to see if the sensors are in place right
Old 01-28-06 | 11:17 AM
leeshdw
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
umm interesting. if it continues it's definitely not good. definitely call john up tomorrow to let him know, and take it back in if necessary to see if the sensors are in place right
I just got off the phone with John and scheduled to bring the car back in next friday to have him take at look at it. He still thinks that this wasn't caused by the install.
I will keep you guys posted on what he finds out.
Old 01-28-06 | 06:33 PM
leeshdw
Driver

Default Minor probelm figured out.

John cleared out his schedule for today and gave me a call to bring the car back in. We figured it out what it was. It was the ABS line stretched out when the wheels are turn all the way left or right. I guess when the new bushing are install, everything gotten tighter. Since there was no more play on the bushing the ABS lines got stretched a little more. So if you have coilovers, make sure you mention to John to adjust the ABS mount.
I want to thank John seeing me today and working with me to figure out what it was.
Old 01-28-06 | 07:04 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Originally Posted by leeshdw
So if you have coilovers, make sure you mention to John to adjust the ABS mount.
I want to thank John seeing me today and working with me to figure out what it was.
You won't need to mention it to John, since of course he found the problem and solved it.

When you had your coilovers installed, it must have already been very close to being stretched when you turn the wheel.

You should mention this to your coilover installer to watch out for this on future installs as there should be more slack to allow for turning.

Can you imagine how little a change the tighter bushings could make the line stretch? It must have been borderline already before the bushing install.

Also everyone should note that this issue affects the Tein CS because of it's bracket design for mounting the line. If you have stock shocks /springs, this would not be a problem. There was another GS in the shop today getting bushings done and I could see there was no issue on stock suspensions. I also have Tein coilovers on my car, but not the CS model, and it did not have a problem with this line stretching. When I first heard your problem I was like HUH, but yeah it all makes sense now.

Glad John made the time for you to come back in right away. Brake issues are never safe tpo go too long so he knew it was important for you to come back ASAP.

I know he was busy today since I was the last one to get some work done there today after the other GS install, which is why I heard what happened

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-28-06 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-28-06 | 08:08 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 500000

Jason and I had a little heads up from Will, or local Master tech. Once we mentioned the issue to John he fixed it in no time. True that the install for the coilovers should have had more slack for the abs sensor though. I almost called you up Glen, but since it was such a fast fix I didn't bother.
Old 01-30-06 | 12:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

wow cool, glad to know everything is all fixed now, jason. very good to have will around to ask these super tech question and john for digging into this so quickly. that's awesome!

the abs line is definitely pretty tight to begin with, i am sure little play with make difference. glad that the lines didn't get damaged or anything. good notes here to look out for!