Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Norcal tint shop

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 10:27 AM
menech
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AznJason
Thinking about it, but not sure. I usually don't wake up til 2 on Saturdays
How many people usually attend? It says there's parking for 50+. I'll feel so out of place with my stock car
don't worry about being stock My IS2 is bare stock (expect for tints) as well...looks like a cool gathering and good chance to meet "the crew"... I think we also get a nice discount for future services since we are "newbies"
Old 04-19-06, 10:45 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, since I'm doing V-Kool, it'll be 70% on the sides (V-Kool only comes at 70%), and possibly a 35% HP on the back (depends on what matches best).

I got quoted $500 flat w/ everything included. It was originally 195 for the front windows, 220 for the back windows, and 100 for the rear windshield (HP). I know V-Kool is expensive, but is this too much?

Sidney is pretty good about making recommendations. He tells you straight up, what you are getting for your money and then it's up to you to make the call.

Hey doesn't just push people to get the most expensive stuff he sells.
Old 04-19-06, 05:28 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Well, I got my car back. Its not that dark (which is fine w/ me). Gerardo said the legal limit in CA was 85% (I thought it was 70% which is what most websites say). Either way, its V-Kool 70% on the front and rear side windows, and a Suntek HP 35% on the rear windshield. It ultimately looks pretty uniform in color. Will post pictures later when I have time. :-P

As far as the bubbles, I was told that V-Kool is slower for the bubbles to go away, but they will in time (anywhere from 3 weeks to a month). Does that sound about right? Where do these magical water bubbles disappear to?
Old 04-19-06, 06:04 PM
menech
Lead Lap

The bubbles are just trapped water+solution mix from where the film was applied. They evaporate out and should go away. That was how it was explained to me when I asked the same questions
Old 04-19-06, 06:31 PM
haniiip
Driver School Candidate

i'm having my smokey granite IS250 with sterling interior tinted 2 weeks from now.. any recommendations as to front(up to legal limit), rear, and back window tint % for good blending? what are the choices of brands and install price? i'm from east bay, norcal and need a highly recommended tint shop from local CL members. thanks.
Old 04-19-06, 06:44 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by menech
The bubbles are just trapped water+solution mix from where the film was applied. They evaporate out and should go away. That was how it was explained to me when I asked the same questions
That's what I thought, but I'm wondering how it evaporates... through the film? Either way, I have to remember not to roll down my windows or use my defroster for a week or two.

Front:

Side:

Back:

You can barely tell there's a tint, but I don't mind. So long as it keeps the car cooler on the inside and I don't attract extra attention from the popos... I never did have good luck with them...
Old 04-19-06, 09:52 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's what I thought, but I'm wondering how it evaporates... through the film? Either way, I have to remember not to roll down my windows or use my defroster for a week or two.

Front:

Side:

Back:

You can barely tell there's a tint, but I don't mind. So long as it keeps the car cooler on the inside and I don't attract extra attention from the popos... I never did have good luck with them...

As I have heard coments on v-cool before. It is the lightest tint that also keeps the interior very cool at the same time. Another member who had standard dark tint and then replaced with v cool was the one that noticed that the v-cool kept his interior cooler than with his original dark tint.

Vcool filters the ultra violet through its design instead of just trying to keep out ultra violet by being dark.
Old 04-19-06, 11:43 PM
menech
Lead Lap

Nice!!! looks very good! Seems like they did a clean install - how did you find the experience?

hopefully see you sat. we can compare I should have gone lighter on mine...with black int. and the sunroof roof cover closed my car looks alot darker from the outside than it really is...I know i'm just asking for trouble but old habits from old state die hard
Old 04-20-06, 12:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by haniiip
i'm having my smokey granite IS250 with sterling interior tinted 2 weeks from now.. any recommendations as to front(up to legal limit), rear, and back window tint % for good blending? what are the choices of brands and install price? i'm from east bay, norcal and need a highly recommended tint shop from local CL members. thanks.
for cali, you can't have any tint on the front windows, period. any tint is illegal. but with that said, if you have light enough of a tint, you should be good to go. for me though, it's never clean to have different tints front and back, so i always just have same tint all around (5 windows). i generally do lighter like 45%, which is enough to block out all uv and such anyway

about the bubbles, yes they will go away some time later. put the car under the sun and they go away faster. those are just plastic piece, you dont' think they are 100% water seal right? water vapor will be able to get away
Old 04-20-06, 09:35 AM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

Nice tint job AznJason.

I got the same color/option as you do... good to see it first on your car before i decide =).

It's been sunny in the bay area, have you notice your car being cooler?
Old 04-20-06, 11:04 AM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by imaputz
Nice tint job AznJason.

I got the same color/option as you do... good to see it first on your car before i decide =).

It's been sunny in the bay area, have you notice your car being cooler?
I've had the car tinted for less than 24 hours, so I haven't noticed it yet. What I have noticed is that when my friend drove me to go pick up my car, I could feel the sun's heat on my arm through the front passenger window. On the drive back, I checked to see if it felt the same in my car. It didn't. Hope that's a good indicator for overall heat reduction.

I still need something for my front windshield. If I don't block it off somehow, the heat will still get in through there, so I'll be looking for windshield sunshade at some point, complete the heat protection.