Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports
View Poll Results: Those who want to drag their cars, what date works best for you?
I want to race and prefer May 24
7.14%
I want to race and prefer May 31
7.14%
I want to race and either date is good with me
85.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Meet Feeler Wednesday Night Drag Races

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-06 | 07:49 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

I made a mistake setting up the poll and it doesn't look like I can edit it.

The poll closes on the April 27th, but I wanted it to be like May 7th.

If you can't vote after that date, just respond to the thread or vote by April 27.
Old 04-24-06 | 07:52 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Cool Practice Runs.

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
I wouldn't mind going over there for some pre Infineon testing.

I don't expect good times and it would have to be on a Saturday, but I'm game.
I also don't expect good times but would not mind getting in some practice runs.
Will
Old 04-24-06 | 08:23 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
I also don't expect good times but would not mind getting in some practice runs.
Will

We could all use the practice.

You can get an easy 10 runs at SAC. That is the big difference compared with Infineon.

Looks like some are up to it, let's go for a SAC run too.

redgs4 and I in our vast years of knowledge of the 1/4 mile will assist with proper launch technique.

Here's some notes:

Plan Ahead:
1. Car should have Premium gas and running on empty. Just keep filling up a day or two early so that you just have enough gas to get to the track and to the nearest station afterwards. We can stop by the station near the track before we enter, if you are uncomfortable.

2. Remove all possible flying objects, and loose articles in the trunk. Spare Tire optional.

3. Do all the fuel injection cleaning and air cleaner cleaning now. Change plugs, oil, whatever maintenance is needed.

4. Bring a tire pressure gauge, any small tools just in case.

5. Bring a G-Tech to measure your times as a back up for the strip plus a walkie talkie.

6. Check all critcal parts of your car, brakes, wheels lug nuts torqued, engine, tranny, brake and coolant fluids at correct level. Inspect tires for nails, suspension, exhaust, etc.

Car Set Up:

1. Make sure front tire pressure is near maximum recommended.

2. Lower rear tire pressure to lowest recommended. (COLD)

3. EDFC or adjustable coilovers should be set to full soft front and rear.

Set up for a run in the staging lane:

1. Tighten seatbelts by locking the shoulder portion with the seat back further than your normal position. Now slide the seat forward while holding the shoulder belt tight. It may take a couple of trys, but get it so the shoulder and lap belts are tight and you are snug against the seat.

2. Start car only once you are asked to pull up to the staging lane.

3. Turn VSC off, and ECT on. People ALWAYS forget this when they get nervous.

Transmission is in "D" for drive. Do you really want to e-shift with all I am telling you to focus on?

4. Drive around the bleach box. You need to NOT get water on your front or rear tires. This will slow you down.

If you need to swing wide around the bleach box, do so. Sometimes this means you need to back up after driving around in order to be lined up parallel with the track. That's OK. People know what you are doing. Don't follow what the Top Fuel Dragster just did before you.

5. Line the car up where other cars have run. That will probably have more grip then off center.

6. Don't try to do a knarly burn out. You don't have slicks so overheating your tires will only slow you down.

7. You can practice a launch at the rpm you pre-determine (more on that later), but basically that launch should only last a 1/2 second and then let up and hit the brakes. You are just getting a feel for how the car will launch and grip on the strip surface. So you get that one practice before you have to stage up to the starting line.

Don't pass the starting line during this warm up launch. Otherwise just keep going.

Prepping for Launch.

THE TREE
I will talk about launch rpm at a later time, for now I will just go through the motions, starting with talking about "The Tree".

The Tree is a signal light stand that is located at the starting line and is used to signal the cars when to "GO". It consists of the two small yellow bulbs at the top called pre-stage and stage. These bulbs are connected to a light beam on the track that is your invisible starting line. The first pre-stage beam is to get your car lined up to the proper starting point. The second beam will light up the second stage light, which essentially means your are dead on the starting line and ready to run.

Your starter will not trigger the tree to go "green" until both pre-stage and stage lights are lit by both opponents. Once both opponents are staged, it is only a matter of seconds before the tree will count down to green. How long this takes is up to the starter. After a few runs you will have a feel for your starter and his timing before going "GREEN".

Below the pre-stage and stage bulbs are the two vertical rows three amber signal lights. I will call them signal lights, because they are pretty much similar to the signal lights on a traffic signal.

Below these rows of three amber lights there is a green signal light.

As the starter triggers the tree, the three amber lights will count down in sequence ending with the green light. Upon the green light, you should be fully launched and headed down the track.

Below the green signal is a red signal,. If you false start you will trigger the red light and automatically lose. Do not anticipate the green.

There is a ton of technique that I can talk about, but for now I will say that a basic technique is as the amber lights of the tree start to count down, basically when the last amber lights up, you launch. This will not trigger the red light, even though it seems like it would.

1. After your practice launch, go up to the line and creep up to the starting line until the pre-stage light turns on. You need to concentrate on the row of lights on your side of the tree. The other row is for your opponent to watch.

2. Wait for your opponent to do the same thing and light up his pre-stage light, before you proceed.

3. Once you opponent lights up his pre stage light, go ahead and roll very slightly forward until you break the second light beam which will light up the second stage light.

Either you or your opponent may go in any order. There is no rule. In pro drags there are standoffs where one driver will try not to stage first. Don't play around like this, save it for the pros.

4. Make sure that you are ready to launch soon after you stage. You need to be mentally prepeared to launch your car at any moment after you stage and your opponent stages. Once you are both staged, the llight can go green at any time after that. It could be 2 seconds or as long as 5 seconds after you are both staged. It's all up to the starter to trigger the countdown sequence.

Launching fancy foot work.

1. For the quickest launch on an automatic car, it usually requires the driver to perform a brake launch.

2. This consists of the left foot on the brake and the right foot partially on the accelerator.

3. As soon as the stage lights are on, you need to keep your left foot braking hard and at the same time give the accelerator a little throttle until you see the tach needle go up to your pre-determined launch rpm. I will talk about determining launch rpm later. For now I will say that your launch rpm is 1800 rpm. You need to quickly get your rpm up to the right setting and hold it. This needs to be done while you are keeping an eye on the tree about to count down.

4. Once the tree counts down, focus on the last yellow and prepare to launch. This combination of setting your launch rpm and trying to watch the tree count down at the same time requires practice and concentration. It is even more nerve racking if the starter triggers the count down before you are sure you have the right launch rpm.

5. If all else fails, just keep both feet still and concentrate on the last yellow.

6. As soon as the last yellow lights, release your brake pedal immediately. This can be done quickly if you keep your foot on the left edge of the pedal and only the ball part of your foot against the brake pedal.

6. To release the brake in the above position, instead of lifting your leg off the pedal, you slide your foot to the left which allows the brake to pop off of your foot. At this critical part of the launch, it is best to concentrate on your left foot coming off the pedal quickly instead of your right foot flooring the gas.

7. As soon as you have popped the brake pedal, you can now focus on feeding gas . Again all cars are different, but basically, don't just mash the pedal. To keep things simple, squeeze the pedal to the floor is a conservative approach.

8. The art of squeezing the accelerator pedal is where all the practice is. If and only if the correct launch rpm was chosen, then you will be able to softly add throttle to minimize wheel spin. You can squeeze down as quick as you can, depending if you feel wheelspin at the initial launch. If you have a little spin , then you need to ease on the gas just a little before flooring it.

I think this is enough for now. I will now caution all about practicing their technique at their local signal light. I say this with the disclaimer to do so at your own risk.

I personally will not practice this on a public street, especially where other cross traffic, bikes or pedestrians are present.

Even more important is to not practice this if there is a chance that there will be cross traffic, cars, people, bicycles, or joggers in the intersection when the light turns green for you.

With people running red lights as much as they do these days, the last thing people are expecting is for other cars to come peeling out at the instant the light turns green.

This truly is a formula for disaster.

Again, be safe out there and do so at your own risk.

More in the next chapter on determining launching rpm, deep or shallow staging, e-shift and other tricks of the trade.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-24-06 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-24-06 | 08:48 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Hey Glenn, if I dont have my daughter on whatever day the majority chooses, then I should be able to make it. I more than likely wont run though, since I just dont have the nerves for that kind of thing (even after that detailed "how to" writeup)!!! But I'm definitely down to go out for the support and fellowship of it all.
Old 04-24-06 | 09:39 PM
bb6lude
Rookie

i'm interested in spectating. unfortunately, my attendance will depend on what's going on at work, so i'm a maybe (yet again).

ricky
Old 04-24-06 | 10:03 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by markgs4
Hey Glenn, if I dont have my daughter on whatever day the majority chooses, then I should be able to make it. I more than likely wont run though, since I just dont have the nerves for that kind of thing (even after that detailed "how to" writeup)!!! But I'm definitely down to go out for the support and fellowship of it all.

No problem Mark. It's not for everybody,

Ya never know if you change your mind once there, just like the dyno eh?
Old 04-24-06 | 10:13 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up Nice Sig!!!

Originally Posted by bb6lude
i'm interested in spectating. unfortunately, my attendance will depend on what's going on at work, so i'm a maybe (yet again).

ricky
Ricky,
I really like your sig. Don't worry, just make sure you make it to the EOS meet. That is the biggest meet of the year.
Will
Old 04-25-06 | 12:37 AM
RMMGS4

How's Saturday May 13 from 6pm to 10 pm at SAC Dragstrip sound to everyone??

http://www.sacramentoraceway.com/

This is a very low key local track. Not like Infineon which is a World Class Facility.

I must admit that they did film an episode of "PINKS" at this track.

The track is slippery and the times will be slow, but it's still great fun and perfect for practice.

Not too many people and very few spectators.

You should be able to get about 10 runs in for your $35 entry fee. Not bad at all.

Let me know who wants to do this pre-race race.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-25-06 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-25-06 | 01:19 AM
bb6lude
Rookie

hi will-

thanks, i need to drag the IS to that side of the bay and do a shoot once the weather settles down and i get to clean the car. then i can replace my sig with a more appropriate one

ricky

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
Ricky,
I really like your sig. Don't worry, just make sure you make it to the EOS meet. That is the biggest meet of the year.
Will
Old 04-25-06 | 11:54 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

The test & tune at Sac is a blast and it's great practice. And you can't beat it for $35.

Some other rules - long pants are required, no shorts. If you run under 14 secs a helmet is also required. Also, A/C off, windows up and sunroof closed. As far as lauch, if you have a high stall TC you don't need to preload (brake launch) - but you will have to practice how best to launch given the track conditions - as Glen said, a little bit of wheelspin is good but you don't want to sit and spin or bog the engine.
Old 04-25-06 | 12:15 PM
jdmdaddy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by redgs4
The test & tune at Sac is a blast and it's great practice. And you can't beat it for $35.

Some other rules - long pants are required, no shorts. If you run under 14 secs a helmet is also required. Also, A/C off, windows up and sunroof closed. As far as lauch, if you have a high stall TC you don't need to preload (brake launch) - but you will have to practice how best to launch given the track conditions - as Glen said, a little bit of wheelspin is good but you don't want to sit and spin or bog the engine.
Yeah, I've been to test and tune before! Definately the most bang for the buck...and not to mention, Sac-Raceway is only 10 minutes from my house
Old 04-25-06 | 12:22 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gatewaycraig
Yeah, I've been to test and tune before! Definately the most bang for the buck...and not to mention, Sac-Raceway is only 10 minutes from my house
Weren't we just talking on Saturday about how we needed to get the majority of us down there to Sac for a meet?? Ha....looks like that came sooner that either you or I expected huh?! haha!
Old 04-25-06 | 12:46 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

And another bit of wisdom from our prior visits. Head to head I always lose. Sometime I start off bad and lose, other times I'm ahead until the last few feet, but last is my spot. I dare any of you to try and take that away from me.
Old 04-25-06 | 01:43 PM
jdmdaddy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by redgs4
And another bit of wisdom from our prior visits. Head to head I always lose. Sometime I start off bad and lose, other times I'm ahead until the last few feet, but last is my spot. I dare any of you to try and take that away from me.
Well, I challenge your statement! I will definately take the "last spot" title from ya
Old 04-25-06 | 01:48 PM
jdmdaddy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by markgs4
Weren't we just talking on Saturday about how we needed to get the majority of us down there to Sac for a meet?? Ha....looks like that came sooner that either you or I expected huh?! haha!
hA! You'd better be attending if that ever happens

Quick Reply: Meet Feeler Wednesday Night Drag Races