Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Idea for a Sunday Drive... when gas prices come down

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-06, 11:24 PM
chubbymike
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idea for a Sunday Drive... when gas prices come down

Hi guys, I'm new to CL and I just got my IS 350 about a month ago. Just wondering if any of you guys might be interested in this.
I'm also in the BMW CCA and the local club organized a Palo Alto backroads drive which I was not able to attend. however, I was able to download the map and have always wanted to do it. Would people be interested? It's probably a 2-3 hour drive. I've never organized a drive before and have no experience on how to lead a group, but I think this might be fun... hopefully the gas prices can come down so I don't feel too bad.
*I am trying to upload the PDF file, but it's too big for this forum.

Last edited by chubbymike; 05-09-06 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-07-06, 11:35 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

hey mike! i'd be down to go for crusin ... you sure u can take time off from ur dental appointments?? =P
Old 05-07-06, 11:39 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

We've actually done several in the past. The most recent one was a tour through Wine Country back in March. The year before that we did a cruise from Pacifica to Santa Cruz and back. It's defintely a lot of fun.

Here's a gallery of pics and the thread of our outcome...
3/11/06 - NorCal Wine Country Cruise - Napa, CA
3rd Annual Nor Cal Cruise Aftermath Thread

Here's a thread from our Santa Cruz Cruise a year ago. Working pics start on page 2:
4/30/05 SF Cruise Meet Follow Up
Old 05-08-06, 09:42 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the upcoming May 2006 meets already scheduled, it may be a little tight trying to get a mini-cruise in May. Plus, you have mother's day weekend 5/13 & 5/14 and Memorial Day weekend 5/27-5/29.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...2&page=1&pp=15

If you guys really want to cruise, I suggest a Sunday, June 4 which is a couple weeks before the 3rd Annual BOS - Beginning of Summer Meet, June 17.

I'm curious about the P.A. route that you mentioned but the link doesn't work for me.

Maybe a cruise based on your P.A. route and ending up in SF somewhere?
There's many routes and it would be nice to see this one and we'll have to scope, do a test run and get a feeler count for Sunday, June 4 to see if the numbers are good enough to make ths happen.

tempting for a "Pre-BOS mini-cruise".........

Last edited by martini3; 05-08-06 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-08-06, 09:57 AM
chubbymike
Driver

sorry guys,
the Palo Alto Backroads cruise link doesn't work because it's password protected. any suggestions on how to make the PDF file smaller??? i guess i'll try to see if i can split it into 2 files. by the way, the suggested route does not end up in sf. but mainly the moutain roads from page mill to hwy 1 and up to hwy 92 area (not taking 92) and end up in redwood city somewhere.
again, sorry the link didn't work. i'll try to fix it.

since there are a lot of drives coming up, this is just a suggestion. it doesn't have to be a major drive where 20-30 cars show up and form long chains. it's more of a casual/spirited sunday drive maybe 5-10 cars....
Old 05-08-06, 11:24 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbymike
sorry guys,
the Palo Alto Backroads cruise link doesn't work because it's password protected. any suggestions on how to make the PDF file smaller??? i guess i'll try to see if i can split it into 2 files. by the way, the suggested route does not end up in sf. but mainly the moutain roads from page mill to hwy 1 and up to hwy 92 area (not taking 92) and end up in redwood city somewhere.
again, sorry the link didn't work. i'll try to fix it.

since there are a lot of drives coming up, this is just a suggestion. it doesn't have to be a major drive where 20-30 cars show up and form long chains. it's more of a casual/spirited sunday drive maybe 5-10 cars....

I've done most of that path. A lot of fun.

We actually DON'T want a large showing for this particular type cruise. Too many cars brings too much attention. If there is a patrol out there, even going the opposite way, and they see a 10 car train, he's gonna call for back up.

If you can spread it out to 2-3 cars in a group you can get away with more.

As Tee pointed out and as I point out in my meet schedule recommendations, available dates are critical. No holidays or meets that conflict with the current schedule.

Two to five cars sounds like an ideal gathering and to get that many people to be free on the same day is less difficult.

Like you said it doesn't have to be a large gathering, so the logistics of availability and meeting time and date are much less critical.

It would be good if you could post a map of the proposed route.
Old 05-08-06, 12:01 PM
chubbymike
Driver

Yeah, definitely want to keep the group small. large group = cops! i'm at work right now and the file is on the computer at home. again, the file is too large for the max. allowable file for this forum. i've e-mailed a friend at bmw cca to see if he can send me the file split in 2 or smaller files. so please be patient and i'll try to post it ASAP.
Old 05-08-06, 01:52 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im down for a nice Sunday drive. I would actually love to explore that side of Palo Alto. I was wondering if you could fix the link to the map. It wouldnt show anything when I clicked on it. But yeah it sounds like a good idea.
Old 05-08-06, 02:06 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm interested in a nice Sunday drive as well. Does Sunday, 6/4 @ 3-7pm sound good for y'all?

if's there's 5 or less, we need not to worry. but if there's 10 or more, we may have to split into two groups and pace a few minutes between the two groups via walkie talkie.

chubbymike, as soon as you get a map of the route, I can start a list of those intersted.
Old 05-08-06, 02:52 PM
chubbymike
Driver

Hi guys,
are any of you guys familiar with creating/ modifying PDF files? If possible, I can possibly e-mail the file to you and have you guys help post it...since I'm not very good with these things.
please let me know. my e-mail is chubbymikey@yahoo.com
Old 05-08-06, 03:07 PM
artie00
Rookie

Sounds like a cool thing to do. Never done any of these group rides before. Would be a good way to take my 350 cruisin' and meet some CL members. Count me in!
Old 05-08-06, 06:59 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

im sure there will be more than 5 cars =)
Old 05-08-06, 07:57 PM
chubbymike
Driver

well, I tried to enlist the help from the guy at BMW CCA, but no luck. My suggestion is that if you're interested, please e-mail me and i'll forward you the PDF file and you can take a look. then we can decide on a day. preferably sundays. *june is not bad... june 4th is good for me. as for time, i think we should try earlier than 3 PM...maybe 1 PM. i don't know how long it'll take...
Old 05-08-06, 09:01 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

no problem w/ June 4th here.. im down =)..... i just hope nothing comes up later...

lets startup a list shall we?

*copy and paste list if you plan on attending*

1. imaputz
Old 05-09-06, 12:03 AM
chubbymike
Driver

sorry guys,
even the first page of the map is too big (347 K) and CL only allows 200K max!! so I can't upload the file onto the forum. please e-mail me and i'll e-mail you the file...but basically it's 120+ miles of moutain roads + some hwy 1. the map said possibly 5 hours (that may include stops in between to take pictures and stuff). The BMW group left at 10:30 AM when they did this trip...something to consider.

1. imaputz
2. chubbymike

Quick Reply: Idea for a Sunday Drive... when gas prices come down