Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

My Tuesday drive: Mt. Hamilton

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-06, 10:58 AM
PMok
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My Tuesday drive: Mt. Hamilton

The best times to drive the bay area backroads and have the road all to yourself are on weekdays, so I took the whole week off from work and am exploring the various twisties one day at a time. Yesterday I took the IS350 out for a drive up and over Mt. Hamilton, ending out in Livermore. It's probably about 150 miles of mountain and canyon roads. Here's some of my photos.

more details about my drive and some scenic shots are on my blog: http://chasiutongmein.blogspot.com/2006/06/tuesday.html

and even more photos in my imagestation album:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2104855868

Last edited by PMok; 06-28-06 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-28-06, 01:55 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

nice nice pics! looks like a fun drive
Old 06-28-06, 03:26 PM
menech
Lead Lap

Nice man

those look like some great twisty windy roads....hmmmmm...mini-meet material me thinks :P
Old 06-28-06, 07:19 PM
buhda
Driver School Candidate

Nice! Mt Hamilton is one of my favs since its close to my house. It been a couple yrs since I been up there but I've been icthing to test out the JICs
Old 06-28-06, 08:57 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice pics...very scenic and serene (sp?).
Old 06-28-06, 09:42 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice. I only like to go up halfway the mountain. The roads are so nicely paved and smooth during the beginning of the road at the Alum Rock end. Then it starts to get real bumpy and narrow with lots of blind turns. I went up a few times in my 01' Cobra and took a ride a few weeks ago in my friend's Audi S4 wagon. All I got to say about AWD is... I don't even know how fast we hit that famous "horseshoe" but I hit the side of my head on the passenger window while accelerating up that turn.
Old 06-28-06, 09:59 PM
buhda
Driver School Candidate

The roads actually pretty good after you past the observatory, it's only really bumpy on the way up.
Old 06-29-06, 09:47 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Makes me miss my bike.
Nice pics!

~Alan
Old 06-30-06, 04:38 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice! The view is looking great! How was the drive up there? I hope it wasnt too rough with rocks and stuff. I went up there last year with a couple guys from the solara forums and we had two people lose control. Looks great though it makes me want to take another drive up there but this time I will take it easy.
Old 07-02-06, 06:58 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

The drive up is ok, you have to take it easy going up the mountain. There are NO safe passing zones going up the mountain, no matter how slow a car is in front of you, stay in your lane and just enjoy the scenery on the way up. I remember a year or two ago a bunch of punks from the ClubRSX forum did a drive up and one really stupid driver decided to try and pass another car by crossing over into the oncoming lane around a blind corner. He came around and ran head-on right into a motorcycle coming the other way, knocking the rider clear off the side of the mountain and severely injuring him. I waited a while after that incident to do any drives up there, because the sheriff's dept really started cracking down on car clubs that went up there. The drive down the other side is much better, the road conditions are better and you can open it up a little more all the way back to Livermore.
Old 07-02-06, 10:33 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pictures ... I will be driving more pretty soon but Not the back roads too much ...

Almost died trying to keep up with our 240s in our crew

Great pictures though
Old 07-03-06, 02:01 PM
buhda
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PMok
The drive up is ok, you have to take it easy going up the mountain. There are NO safe passing zones going up the mountain, no matter how slow a car is in front of you, stay in your lane and just enjoy the scenery on the way up. I remember a year or two ago a bunch of punks from the ClubRSX forum did a drive up and one really stupid driver decided to try and pass another car by crossing over into the oncoming lane around a blind corner. He came around and ran head-on right into a motorcycle coming the other way, knocking the rider clear off the side of the mountain and severely injuring him. I waited a while after that incident to do any drives up there, because the sheriff's dept really started cracking down on car clubs that went up there. The drive down the other side is much better, the road conditions are better and you can open it up a little more all the way back to Livermore.
Yea, I remember that....that's also when I stopped going up there. I use to go up there with a few autox buddies with my RSX, the sheriffs usually follows us up to the obeservatory when they see they we had 3 or 4 cars going up. After that accident I was sure we would get pulled over if we went up so I stopped.
Old 07-10-06, 05:21 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PMok
T. I remember a year or two ago a bunch of punks from the ClubRSX forum did a drive up and one really stupid driver decided to try and pass another car by crossing over into the oncoming lane around a blind corner.
ClubRSX

beautiful pictures!