Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

wheel techniques experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 07:42 PM
MrAMG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel techniques experience

I dropped a rim to wheel techniques last Monday for repair. Jeff assured me that it will be done by Wednesday morning and will cost $225. Wednesday came and gave Jeff a call in the morning and told me the wheel will be done by 12 noon. I was ready to leave at 11:45 but decided to call Jeff just to make sure that the repair is done but he tells me to pick up the wheels at 2:30. Arrived at the shop at 3 and found out that it's not done yet, but Jeff assured me that it will done in a "few minutes". Few minutes became an hour and Jeff left the shop (quitting time for him is 4) and assured me that the wheel is amost done. As soon as Jeff left, a guy named Paul came out and told me that the wheel will not be done today and I will have to come back tomorrow. Keep in mind that I lived about an hour's drive from them (without traffic). Needless to say, I was stuck in traffic heading back home without my wheels

Just so you know guys...
Old 07-12-06, 08:14 PM
tonysofly
Pole Position

i hate that....if they know it's not gonna be done. just SAY IT. i hope the quality of the work is worth the drive back and forth. *crossing fingers*
Old 07-12-06, 08:16 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear...

Shops need to learn that it's better to be told the truth.. doesnt matter if it's good or bad. Than to be giving the run around.
Old 07-12-06, 08:32 PM
vborder
Lead Lap

It sucks big time, i know the pain, i been through it all before too...ANd it is discouraging....I wish businesses would be more professional about thing, I understand that they want to let the customer's down, but at least admit it instead of gving the run around....Well i hope you get your rim
Old 07-12-06, 09:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

sorry to hear that, but that's wheel technique... of all the cases i have seen and people i know, almost ways they drag on timing and delivery.... they do good work, but their customer service is definitely in need of improvements
Old 07-13-06, 02:56 AM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Everytime I go to wheel techniques, their average turnaround time for fixing your rims is 2-4 weeks. Real long time for your car to be out of commission. So i thought of a lie to speed things up, make sure not to tell your friends this secret I am about to tell you guys. Just tell them that you have a car show this Weekend and have to get this rims done and you will plug them for free. Yeah, i got all four of my Traffic Stars DTS rims repolished in only 2 days from the first day I brought them in, to bad I couldn't say the same for the guys that came in before and after I did.
Old 07-13-06, 12:01 PM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
sorry to hear that, but that's wheel technique... of all the cases i have seen and people i know, almost ways they drag on timing and delivery.... they do good work, but their customer service is definitely in need of improvements

that is so true....but when it comes down to it Wheel Techniques is the only place that does that kind of quality work in the area so people continue to go there
Old 07-13-06, 01:35 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FunGuy
Everytime I go to wheel techniques, their average turnaround time for fixing your rims is 2-4 weeks. Real long time for your car to be out of commission. So i thought of a lie to speed things up, make sure not to tell your friends this secret I am about to tell you guys. Just tell them that you have a car show this Weekend and have to get this rims done and you will plug them for free. Yeah, i got all four of my Traffic Stars DTS rims repolished in only 2 days from the first day I brought them in, to bad I couldn't say the same for the guys that came in before and after I did.
Wish I would have known this. i shipped my wheels to them,( Rezax II DDC) 5 weeks ago and still not even done stripping the chrome yet. Jeff told me he would try to get it done in 4 wks.
Old 07-13-06, 01:38 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BLK98GS3
that is so true....but when it comes down to it Wheel Techniques is the only place that does that kind of quality work in the area so people continue to go there
This is the exact reason why I shipped my wheels to them in the 1st place per RMMGS4's & other's recommendation. They already have my payment & I have to wait.
Old 07-13-06, 02:26 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dsouth
This is the exact reason why I shipped my wheels to them in the 1st place per RMMGS4's & other's recommendation. They already have my payment & I have to wait.

Don in your case, we know chroming is the problem with quick turn.

Nothing Wheel tech or anyone can do about it. There are only so many places that will do chroming. 99% of the shops that say they do chrome, just send it out to a chrome shop.

For us in NorCal everything has to go to LA for chroming. You loose almost 2 weeks in shipping time alone.

The chrome job on my wife's brand new rims took almost 3 months. So Don, if you get your's some time soon, I'd say the chrome turn around times have improved. Wheel Tech has been searching several chromers to do their work in an effort to better these times, but every shop that does chroming "Quick" also does crappy work and the chrome may chip off easily or the surface finish will not be as good.

I hope you will have your rims soon. I know that once they arrive back from the chromer, wheel tech will turn them around in about 4 days.

As far as turn around time, yes I advise everyone to "CALL First" before coming down for a pick up and if you have more than one wheel to do work, it will take time.

I totally agree that wheel tech is having trouble with their service. They have so much business, because most shops cannot repair the rims damage that they can. Other shops will tell you they can't be repaired, but Wheel Tech has the equipment and technology to repair almost anything. There are a few other choices, but if you have hard core damage or your rim is worth a lot or you can no longer get a single replacement wheel because the rims are obsolete, then Wheel Tech is probably your best option to repair your rims.

My Estimate of turn around based on what I have seen from members:
- A single bent rim will take about a week to get repaired.

- Aluminum lips polished and minor curb rash add 3-4 days per wheel.

- Painting centers add another week for 1 to 4 rims.

Once you send in 4 rims and have damage on all of them, then need polishing, and painting centers, then take apart 3 piece wheels, that all that takes time.

I Too wish Wheel Tech would do a better job with setting customer expectations and providing customer service. About the only complaint we get about them is with their turn around time.

As far as repair, workmanship, etc. in 5 years on CL, I haven't seen a complaint about their workmanship so far.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-13-06 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-13-06, 09:28 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Don in your case, we know chroming is the problem with quick turn.
Glen,
thanks for chiming in. I think I will be happy with my wheels once they are done.
Btw, do they warranty the chrome & for how long if so???

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-13-06 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-13-06, 10:02 PM
RMMGS4

Glen,
thanks for chiming in. I think I will be happy with my wheels once they are done.
Btw, do they warranty the chrome & for how long if so???

Not sure about warranty. Please DO let us know how you like the final results.

Wheel Tech's workmanship is about the only reason why most of us are willing to deal with the wait.
Old 07-27-06, 12:17 PM
RMMGS4

And for those that attend the upcoming EOS meet, they may win a discount for work performed by Wheel Techniques !
Old 07-27-06, 06:38 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
And for those that attend the upcoming EOS meet, they may win a discount for work performed by Wheel Techniques !
Too bad I don't live in Cali.
That is a good incentive to attend already.
Old 07-31-06, 02:59 PM
RMMGS4

Too bad I don't live in Cali.
That is a good incentive to attend already.

So what's stoppin ya Don !

Quick Reply: wheel techniques experience