Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

NorCal IS/2IS meet (7/30), post meet discussion!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-06, 10:11 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the way to the vista point.
Attached Thumbnails NorCal IS/2IS meet (7/30), post meet discussion!-image-020a.jpg  
Old 07-30-06, 10:14 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Pick your color.
Attached Thumbnails NorCal IS/2IS meet (7/30), post meet discussion!-image-023a.jpg  
Old 07-30-06, 10:17 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Just as Imaputz said, clouds and leaves.
Attached Thumbnails NorCal IS/2IS meet (7/30), post meet discussion!-image-029a.jpg  
Old 07-30-06, 10:18 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

We're all glad he's ok.
Attached Thumbnails NorCal IS/2IS meet (7/30), post meet discussion!-image-028a.jpg  
Old 07-30-06, 10:20 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool pics... but I'm sorry to hear the meet sucked. I guess mtns and twisties is not the number 1 choice for the IS... maybe for a MINI Cooper Meet.

Back country roads with bigger sweeping turns and some longer straights would be ideal. Like the roads going South ish out of Julian, CA. Those back roads would be nice.
Old 07-30-06, 10:29 PM
menech
Lead Lap

nice pic putz!!! good work I love the sky, it was such a great day for a drive today!

lets have a mega wash session someday soon with manny so he can find all the stuff wrong with our cars heh we also have to do those puddle and "parking lights" when you get them in!
Old 07-30-06, 10:31 PM
chubbymike
Driver

nice pictures!! i will try to post mine up soon....not sure when. but i'm too tired to do it right now.
Old 07-30-06, 10:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Cool pics... but I'm sorry to hear the meet sucked. I guess mtns and twisties is not the number 1 choice for the IS... maybe for a MINI Cooper Meet.

Back country roads with bigger sweeping turns and some longer straights would be ideal. Like the roads going South ish out of Julian, CA. Those back roads would be nice.
no need to be sorry, coz' from what i read apparently eveyrone thinks it was still a pretty good turnout except ONE.

josephdoc, i will tell you what (and yes, this is what i think, you don't have to agree). there is always a first, and a lot of people are learning. you went to a meet that's not fully organized by veterans meet organizers, and it's nothing close to the scale of BOS or EOS meet (which obviously you missed as well). we always encourage new members to step up and take part in organizing meets and bring new members around to have fun, and i am giving them big props right here. imaputz, teeman3, etc.... i know they did their best and they did everything for the best interest of most people.

if you are this unhappy about what happened and such, by all means, why don't you go out and organize a what you called a good meet and see how it goes? apparently everything happened today sounded so wrong, i am sure you could have done everything very right.

i will tell you it's no easy to make good meets, and it take years of experience, long time discussions and planning, and a lot of efforts from different directions. i didn't go to the meet today. from what i read seems like it was a bit unorganized, but that's common for inexperienced meet organizers, and it will only get better.

i am not saying that you shouldn't complain. everyone is welcome to give their inputs to help the group grow and the core people to improve themselves. but imho it should be done appropriately and not done in such a discouraging way. before you start go to out blindly and just whine for something better, maybe you can try to contribute and actually do something, like making a GOOD meet for all of us?

before you ask, i am one of the core committee members for organizing meets of over 100 lexus cars for the past 3 years, in case you question my credibility. and i will never ever say 1/4 of what you did to discourage people. that's hardly the right way to help others

my 2 cents, i wont' say anything anymore on this
Old 07-30-06, 11:08 PM
sashax415
Pole Position

Default A few things...

Thanks Teeman for taking care of the details and organizing the meet. Don't mind Joseph, I think the SC's look great. We actually got the chance to talk with Joseph and he is a nice guy. While he may be coming across as a bit harsh/rude, there is some merit in SOME of the things that he has said, despite the slight english barrier.

I agree that the cruise could have gone better, but i don't believe that it was a bad meet. It was our first Lexus meet so we weren't expecting too much. We pretty much just wanted to hang out and check out the modded rides.

I think it would have been great to have a role call, but i'm not really disappointed. Afterall, you get what you put in... and we decided that it was best to lay low for our first CL meet. We just wanted to see some familiar faces in preperation for EOS.

As for the drive, I was a little surprised at how spirited it got. The pace was swift and I felt like i should have been driving the evo. In the back of my mind i kept thinking that someone was going to drive off, and when i saw the dust, my heart skipped a beat. I was expecting to see an IS belly up.

The area where the crx went over in particular was the twistiest part of the drive. ( I heard him say that his brakes locked up) I'm glad that he is ok and i believe that we should welcome all cars that want to join the cruise. I actually backed off the car in front of me because i didn't want him to feel any pressure, and i can say that i did not feel any pressure from the car behind me as well. I believe that everyone drove responsibly and it was just unfortunate that a car was damaged. As for the hand waving, i don't want to make any assumptions, but we all know what we are capable of.

We ended up leaving after the CRX incident because we didn't feel comfortable blocking traffic on the two lane road. Cars were busting u-turns and finding crevices to pull over in... We ended up meeting Mike and Joseph at the bottom and told them about the CRX.

Overall, it was great to hear the LMS and Tanabe exhaust side by side. And whoever is driving the blue IS... Damn, your ride is SLAMMED!
Old 07-30-06, 11:14 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

it looks like so much fun! unfortunately, I missed out on this one.

I will see all the nor cal 2IS owners at EOS!
Old 07-30-06, 11:23 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sashax415
And whoever is driving the blue IS... Damn, your ride is SLAMMED!
that was wolverine (Tim?).... he's on coilovers... but he had 3 passengers in there..... so loooked really slammed.

sorry, i didn't get to introduce myself to you sshax415, but i believe i was the car in front of you... in the SGM...... i think your BF did most of the driving (chickenbutt .. jk jk!)

David
Old 07-31-06, 12:11 AM
jacattack
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I missed the meet today guys, couldn't get the clear bra installed in time. I would have loved to check out all the other IS's there, the pics look pretty sweet with all of them lined up.

Even though I didn't make it out today, I'd still like to thank the organizers for putting it together. Teeman, I don't think you need to apologize for anything. Like Chubbymike said, this is purely a volunteer thing and you stepped up and offered to help organize it. I can't criticize you or any of the other organizers for doing that.

Anyways, glad everything turned out (fairly) well today and hopefully I can catch you guys at the next meet.

-Jax
Old 07-31-06, 01:33 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chubbymike
josephdoc,
after reading your e-mail, i'm sorry that you did not have fun today. i do admit that this meet was a bit disorganized. but as a newbie to the club, i had fun, despite the crx incident. I thought it was great to have all these cars show up and we were able to take pictures and enjoy the nice weather.
what you wrote seemed a bit harsh. maybe it's the English problem, but I do think your suggestions can be said in a more constructive way. We're all out here to have fun. nobody paid any money to join this club. We were all volunteering our time to try to make this meet possible. We all have day jobs, this is just something as a hobby. I tried to give as much input as I can on my spare time. So please do take that into consideration. if you have suggestions, do bring them up, but I don't think it helps if you just criticize or complain about the problems. If you have solutions, I think that would be more helpful.

I personally thought that Teeman tried very hard to keep everyone on schedule and run it as smoothly as we can. I'm sure we can all do better and be more organized. but again, the organizers all volunteer their own time. nobody gets paid for this.
This is my first time helping in a cruise/meet. i've never attended any official ones, so i don't know what they're supposed to be like. But I would have to say, most of us had fun today. yes, there was a bit of confusion, especially towards the end there. but everybody was ok. And I learned what can be done better next time.
and as far as the tofu house parking lot. i don't think they would mind us being there because they're not open on sundays. that is not starbuck's property and we were not disturbing Tofu House's business, so I thought it shouldn't be a problem. yes, it would have been a nice gesture to give the business owner a heads up, but given that they're not open anyways, I didn't think it was necessary.

my perception of this meet is that this is a CASUAL meet & cruise. somebody suggests a route, people sign up and we meet at a place and go for a drive. everybody has fun. granted that there were 15+cars. Heck, I never lead 15 car caravan before, but I did it today and despite the confusion, we all ended up back at starbucks.
I'm a newbie to CL and I thought it was a nice gesture for Teeman to help organize this and take charge since most of us 2IS owners are probably new to CL. Again, thanks to teeman for helping out and all those who showed up today to make it a fun first 2IS meet of me!

mike
Now we are talking. I make my apology to my harsh post and my so-so English especially when I am in a bad mood and I want to do some type up fast at the same time. I hate writing and don’t dislike me because I failed English101 three times.

I think I missed the fun part after the crash. Mike saw me took off because the other IS350 guy told us it was all over and he left right after he spoke to Mike. I did not know our meeting stays alive after, and Mike was the one who had a talkie and lead the caravan. I thought Mike confirmed the party was over, so the two hours program to me was:

Talk->uphill drive->stop/photo->downhill drive->crash and go home.

Before I took off, I evem told Mike that we should go back but I changed my mind in the next few seconds because I did not want to go through all the ugly turns again and I thought the party was dismissed due to CRX incident.

Because Tee told Mike to lead, so I thought Mike really confirmed the party was over because he was the one who had a talkie.... then I went home.

Mike should know about my anger by now because I was not informed correctly after the incident and the whole thing was not organized well enough. I guess it was a bad day to me because I sacrificed my SJGP tickets and canceled my family trip to the Gilroy garlic fest trip in the afternoon just for this crappy meet. Hey, all that just because I want to meet you guys but endding up I am the one went home without knowing you guys went to lunch together.

From the beginning at the parking lot, I had no idea who was new, a rook, or a Norcal officer.

Make it a simple version of orders that I have followed:
Tee said "Mike, take the lead", so I followed Mike.
When there were only me an Mike's cars left, Mike said "Joseph, Game over, go home now" so I went home.

Where did I do wrong? Wasn't it bad enough to said it was a bad day? I missed all the fun with my family and I had to go home because someone leading the caravan, holding the radio talkie, and telling "Game Over and go home"? Ask Mike, that is what he said to me!

I think I did my communication with most of the people since they were checking on my mods and asking me questions about where and how... I don't think I am a shy guy and please believe me.

Before I left that parking lot, I was talking to two Mike’s guests that our route was going to be very rough. I know that was a tough route by heart because me and my buddy were in a SF-AE86 group against FC/FD/EG late in the night almost every weekend about 6 years ago (don’t laugh, we had too much animation, and it was stupid but fun).

I was worry if ldynred knows about the route because she had two little ones with her. I felt much better after I found out there will be a slower pasting group, but I did not know about some non-lex cars in our caravan. I make another apology here by using the word “junkies” because no one said anything about non-lex cars were invited also. Some of you already know what I do for living, and really I had to use that word there especially when I see those cars were in us.

So far, you can see how much information that I did not know about! I don’t fly off the handle easily but you guys can see what I have been through today.

About the photoshooting thing at the vista point, that was nothing more than a joke and sorry if I sounded too serious. I really don’t care any pics and I did not want to bring a camera before I left home because I know the situation when you guys first mentioned about the “visiting the Palo Alto woodside”. Although there were a lot of black jokes going around when Tee and the other SC moved up front, and that was very funny also... Hey! I am sure the car I used today will eventually cost more than any regular SC, so move me up front also ! (You know I am kidding right?)

Madness, will you accept my apologies now? Still, I have no idea what kids you were talking about and told me not to worry… Forget it, it’s all over now.

And Mike, I thought you said you will lead the slow group? Wow, I will join you again when you lead with the turtle speed. Did the talkie go out of range or what?

I know Tee tried his best to host the group, but look what have happened to me! Thanks anyway.

With all that confusion… Sigh.. I did my best. I followed all the way till Mike told me the party was over. Until very last minute before I read Mike’s post, I still think Mike was the group leader kind of person.. No wonder BC-GS430 messaged me some explanation about the group; I guess he read the whole thing and see my confusion.

Sigh, 1:30am now. Weekend is gone!
Msg me if there is a dinner party.. I do eating much better than driving.

Last edited by josephdoc; 07-31-06 at 03:28 AM.
Old 07-31-06, 01:57 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by josephdoc
I guess it was a bad day to me because I sacrificed my SJGP tickets and canceled my family trip to the Gilroy garlic fest trip in the afternoon just for this crappy meet.
It's unfortunate you had a bad day, but you shouldn't blame the meet both organizers/participants for not having any fun. You made the choice to taking your wife's car out and cancel both your SJGP tickets and family trip to Gilroy. In my opinion, family is much more important than a car meet. I think it's more of the person who decided to break prior engagements with family and etc. and not the meet itself. If you really think you can improve future meets, step up to the plate. I'm with Rominl on meet organization. I give props to those who step up and take initiative in making a meet happen. As far as i'm concerned, only one person had a bad experience. Maybe you can direct the next meet and make it happen to your satisfaction?

Last edited by flipside909; 07-31-06 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-31-06, 08:25 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

My honest opinion: Being that it was my first time, I thought it was fun, nerve racking, exciting, intimidating, disappointing feeling all rolled up in to one. At the end of the day I asked myself, was that all worth it? Yes, I had fun and would do it again. It would have been helpful to put a face to a screename. But that was my rookie mistake. I should have mixed and mingled more.

I was part of the east bay caravan and it was nice to meet Imaputz, Wolverine, and theEnd. I was expecting a traffic jam because of the SJ GP, but there was none. Except for that gravel road on the way to Starbucks, the caravan to Palo Alto was good. Putz I realize you didn’t know about that gravel road and thanks for getting us there in one piece. Maybe we should have the next meet in the east bay. I vote for you to set it up. By the way, nice drop on those Eibachs. Wolverine, I give you props for having the guts to slam your car. Nice ride. theEnd, I was looking for you during the cruise. I don’t know if I lost you through all the excitement. I saw you go the other way just before we made our first route mistake. Was that you? All others, sorry I didn’t get to hang with you. I know what to expect next time. I really would've loved to stay and have lunch with everyone but I had a schedule to keep. Next time, I’ll clear my entire afternoon.

Thanks to Teeman for doing his best to keep it organized. As for that accident, I was just glad to see no one was hurt. All in all, I had a great time.

Last edited by Flipsonic; 07-31-06 at 08:41 AM.

Quick Reply: NorCal IS/2IS meet (7/30), post meet discussion!