Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

New tires and now the car vibrates like crazy.. my experiences at Exact

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 12:16 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't mind me asking Suneet, what brand of tires you have? I noticed on some brands, you need more weights to balance them out, and with others you need less - and it's also size dependent too. When I had America's Tire install a set of Contis on my car, they needed almost 3 oz of weights on one side to balance them out, that dropped to 2.5 when I had their Walnut Creek shop use a 9700 on them. With my current set of tires, a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S from Costco, they needed between .25-1.00 weights on them. And Costco doesn't use any Hunter road-force balancers, just Coats conventional ones - but the one I went to used a XR1800 which does offer some balance diagnostics as well: http://www.ammcoats.com/products_wheel.aspx?id=170

and then the tire could have been bad from the get go. I plan on taking my car in for the 9700 treatment in Walnut Creek, just because Costco uses primitive balancers - as do many tire shops.
Old 08-28-06, 12:34 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
If you don't mind me asking Suneet, what brand of tires you have? I noticed on some brands, you need more weights to balance them out, and with others you need less - and it's also size dependent too. When I had America's Tire install a set of Contis on my car, they needed almost 3 oz of weights on one side to balance them out, that dropped to 2.5 when I had their Walnut Creek shop use a 9700 on them. With my current set of tires, a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S from Costco, they needed between .25-1.00 weights on them. And Costco doesn't use any Hunter road-force balancers, just Coats conventional ones - but the one I went to used a XR1800 which does offer some balance diagnostics as well: http://www.ammcoats.com/products_wheel.aspx?id=170

and then the tire could have been bad from the get go. I plan on taking my car in for the 9700 treatment in Walnut Creek, just because Costco uses primitive balancers - as do many tire shops.
hes running Yokohama Avid V4s (i think, might be H4s )
Old 08-28-06, 01:14 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
hes running Yokohama Avid V4s (i think, might be H4s )
V4s for sure I miss my Turanzas quite a bit though...
Old 08-28-06, 03:30 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think custom alignment has a list of tire brands/models that historically have had balance issues.

I will have to hit them up for that list some time soon. People should probably stay away from those particular tires. Do note that balancing these tires on a 9700 will cost more than a standard balance job as well.

There will be raffle discount coupons from Custom Alignment given out during EOS.