Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Possibly moving to the Bay area...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 04:51 PM
2KGS400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly moving to the Bay area...

I've found a job that I think I'd really enjoy in Emeryville, and was hoping I could get some feedback from others in the East Bay area about what it's like to move there/live there. Currently I live in Kansas City, MO and really want to be back near the ocean again. I've spent some time in SF and love it there.

Some questions:
1. How expensive is it? I'd be making around $100k a year and am single with no children. Would it be possible for me to buy a decent house or any house?
2. What's the scene in the East Bay like? I've spent a lot of time in SF, is it pretty much the same? Would I be able to live in SF and commute?
3. What are the opportunities there for adult students? I'd really like to take night classes and get a Masters or (if possible) a JD. Are the resources pretty good?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 12-20-06, 05:30 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure about that side of the bay. As I'm in the SF area.

1. You should have no problems buying a decent place, but depends on the area you want to live in. I'd say SF is a bit to high.

2. More night life in SF. Yes you can commute but your at least looking at about an hour or so depending on traffic. With a $4 toll.

3. No problems here, plenty of choices. UCSF is one.
Old 12-20-06, 06:27 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Lots of places to get JD in the bay:

Stanford
UC Berkeley
Santa Clara
Hastings
USF

to name a few off the top of my head
Old 12-20-06, 08:40 PM
HELLAFLUSH
Lead Lap

100k a year will get you someting nice in the eastbay or sf guaranteed. Theres lots of night classes available depending on which school (search) and theres hella traffic everywhere.
Old 12-20-06, 09:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

awesome!

depending on areas i think you should be able to find something. if school district is not an issue then it's a no brainer, 100k a yr is good enough for a decent size home for yourself.

if you want good school district though, it's going to be quite a bit higher of course
Old 12-20-06, 10:37 PM
solo
Lexus Champion

its the best!

s
Old 12-20-06, 10:40 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

BART is your friend. Then have one of the LGW NorCal guys pick you up from Embarcadero, Montgomery, Powell, or even Millbrae!
Old 12-20-06, 11:06 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2KGS400
I've found a job that I think I'd really enjoy in Emeryville, and was hoping I could get some feedback from others in the East Bay area about what it's like to move there/live there. Currently I live in Kansas City, MO and really want to be back near the ocean again. I've spent some time in SF and love it there.

Some questions:
1. How expensive is it? I'd be making around $100k a year and am single with no children. Would it be possible for me to buy a decent house or any house?
2. What's the scene in the East Bay like? I've spent a lot of time in SF, is it pretty much the same? Would I be able to live in SF and commute?
3. What are the opportunities there for adult students? I'd really like to take night classes and get a Masters or (if possible) a JD. Are the resources pretty good?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance for your responses.

1. Making 100k is more than enough to get you a decent house. Rates are bad but its a buyers market.

2. Besides downtown Oakland, the east bay is made of small cities. A little quieter, definately not the pace of SF, since SF is a major city. SF is the place to be for nightlife. So is SJ and its not too far away. BART is going to be your friend.

3. You wont have a hard time finding a college in the bay.
Old 12-21-06, 07:00 AM
2KGS400
Driver

Thanks guys! That's really encouraging!
Old 12-21-06, 11:18 PM
aaronjz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would suggest getting a house in Sf it is really expensive. if would buy a house i would do it on the east bay. maybe fremont.
Old 12-21-06, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronjz
i would suggest getting a house in Sf it is really expensive. if would buy a house i would do it on the east bay. maybe fremont.
depends on which part of fremont too. if you look at mission (one of the best school district), it carries one huge pricetag
Old 12-22-06, 06:12 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for fremont mission area. I live there and have no complaints. Although it is pricey, you can probably find a home, not in the hills area but around there for a good deal.

Last edited by Julez; 12-22-06 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-22-06, 06:38 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

+1 for another mission san jose (fremont) resident, great area. Expect to pay at least around a $1 mil and up if you want the school district though.
Old 12-23-06, 11:49 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

making 100K is plenty to live here, but im not sure if its nice enough to buy a house. price ranges from 700K to as big a number as you can imagine. took my 13 years to pay for my home in san francisco.

I will tell you its a real pain to commute, i dont advise that you do so. Emeryville is expanding their housing with a lot of condos, there are nice ones on top of this shopping complex called "Bay Street". YOu would have a condo on top and restaurants and shopping on the bottom. its quite nice if you ask me. probably costs around 600K

good luck with the move.
Old 12-24-06, 12:21 AM
Aries
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So many CL members in the Fremont Mission area........should we schedule a mini-meet off of Paseo or something?

Quick Reply: Possibly moving to the Bay area...