Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports
Old 12-12-14, 03:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Independent Shops for: 30/60/90k Service, Suspension Mods, Engine mods, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 10:39 AM
prince
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech3

There's another shop in south San Jose called Tech3.
http://www.tech3sj.com/

They're knowledgeable gurus on mechanical work (wheels, suspension, engine, etc.). They're pretty responsive and direct on the phone. I've always gone there for my older car (modified Camry 00'), but I'm not sure how they fair on newer cars though.

Last edited by prince; 01-20-10 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-25-10, 11:22 AM
starryeyed
Driver School Candidate

Question Brentwood, Contra Costa County area?

Anyone know of an honest/reliable shop totake my sc430 to out in the Brentwood area? I have looked in to some but they all seem to treat me the same (like I'm an idiot cuz I'm a girl).
I'm just looking for a good mechanic who will talk straight to me and take care of my car.
I'm due for a major service.

Thanks
Old 03-02-10, 10:26 AM
renatodato
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timing belt jobs in general are labor intensive. That's about the going rate. Some are over 1500.. That quote does not include water pump, seals, bearings, tensioners. When a shop quotes you, they only quote you what you're asking for, ie, timing belt change. They'll get you later with the other stuff that needs changing.
Old 03-03-10, 10:09 AM
EXACT
Club Lexus Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Captanpyro
Hello Everyone,
I am looking for a place to get my timing belt changed in the bay area. I live in San Carlos and want to take my car to get the timing belt changed. It has 58,000 miles on it and it is the original timing belt from 93. I have had two quotes at around $900, Is that to high. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You
Hi, we specialize in Lexus & been serving bay area Lexus owners for many years, give us a call for a quote, we will give you a quote & detail what we will change.

(408) 416 - 0061
(408) 263 - 8100

www.exactmotorsports.com
Old 03-13-10, 10:51 PM
deligato
Driver School Candidate

Smile Lexus Shops in or around Alameda

I have a 2002 RX300 in need of 90K mile service. I plan to have timing belt, seals, tensioner(s), accessory belts, water pump, transmission fuild, differential fluid, transfer case fluid. cabin and air filters replaced. I was wondering if gas filter and thermostat should be changed as well.

I've also had issues with idle air control valve needing to be cleaned...I've done it myself 3 times. I think it is time for a new one since the gasket is getting worn and the screw heads are wearing.

Are there any ASE certified shops in or around Alameda which someone could recommend?

Does anyone know if the fluids for the tranny, differential and transfer case should be replaced with synthetic fluids (I heard they are better than mineral oil based fluids)? I also wanted to use OEM parts for the timing belt, seals, water pump. Does anyone know who manufactures those parts for Lexus?

Thanks in advance.

Ben
Old 03-14-10, 10:28 PM
EnzoRX
Driver

Ben,

I have a 2001 RX300 AWD and I had the same work done (timing belt, accessory belts, water pump, front diff fluid, spark plugs). I also had 2 of the air/fuel sensors replaced too since I was throwing codes. I was also throwing codes for the idle air control valve and cleaned it 2 or 3 times (I ended up just buying a new IACV). Everything listed here was taken care of by Exact Motorsports in Milpitas. I bought the majority of the parts and Exact supplied the labor. I live in Alameda also and it was well worth the drive. Call John up at Exact and ask for a quote.

I replaced the transmission fluid, rear diff fluid and interior cabin filter by myself (search for the DIY's in the RX300 forums). They are relatively easy to do.

You can buy the parts online if you do a search. You can PM me if you want to know where I bought all my parts. All the parts I purchased are Toyota parts (which are pretty well what Lexus uses anyways).

For the transmission I use Toyota Type T-IV, the front/rear diff's I use Amsoil. Exact Motorsports carries these fluids too.

This will not be an inexpensive service. But if you want to keep your vehicle for a long time, it is well worth it to spend the money now to keep your vehicle relatively trouble free.

Good luck, Ben!

Last edited by EnzoRX; 03-14-10 at 10:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-19-10, 06:37 PM
93twintrbo
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by renatodato
Timing belt jobs in general are labor intensive. That's about the going rate. Some are over 1500.. That quote does not include water pump, seals, bearings, tensioners. When a shop quotes you, they only quote you what you're asking for, ie, timing belt change. They'll get you later with the other stuff that needs changing.
We always give timing belt quotes with water pump, cam and crank seals, tensioners and idlers etc.. because thats the right way to do it. If a customer just wants to replace the timing belt, we will adjust the price for the work they want. Although we do advise them to do it right the first time.
Old 04-12-10, 03:37 PM
mc501s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wyee99
Has anyone gone to Motorsports Techniques in Hayward? I heard they're kind of expensive, but do they do a good job?
I brought my wife TL for an aligment and they did excellent job and the price was good. I asked them for couple other stuff and their prices are way better than some of places in the Bay Area. I am planning to bring my business to them when my IS needs other services. Honest folks deserve my highly recommendation
Old 04-26-10, 09:18 PM
iron_lungs
Driver

Question Recommended shops to lower my 3GS

Looking for a shop to lower my 3GS in the Santa Clara or Sacramento area. I'm thinking about Tanabe NF210s or Tein S-Tech springs. What price should I be looking for springs and install? Thanks.
Old 05-19-10, 09:33 AM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

Any recommendations for shops in San Francisco area? I just picked up a 98 ls400 and need to get it checked for any maintenance that may need immediate attention.
Old 05-19-10, 10:45 AM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iron_lungs
Looking for a shop to lower my 3GS in the Santa Clara or Sacramento area. I'm thinking about Tanabe NF210s or Tein S-Tech springs. What price should I be looking for springs and install? Thanks.
Go to Sonic MS or Exact.
Old 07-30-10, 08:58 PM
tonynca
Driver

Default Need a clutch change on IS300; recommend me a good play around the Bay Area

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find a good place to change the clutch for a reasonable price. Some of these places I'm calling wanted $800 for labor only! I already have the hardware, I just need them to install it. Please recommend me some good shops that are willing to do it for $300-350! Thanks!

Last edited by tonynca; 07-30-10 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-30-10, 10:08 PM
ZRDLS460
Driver School Candidate

check out speed element in fremont - 510.226.8822
Old 10-06-10, 02:34 AM
yodaling
Driver School Candidate

I am looking for a place to do a 60k maintenance on my 2003 IS300. I checked my local dealer and they want to charge me an arm and leg.

Can someone recommend me where I can purchase the parts myself online for cheap and bring it to EXACT motorsport? How much EXACT charge for labor roughly? Does anyone have coupon for EXACT. What are the recommended things to buy? I am planning to buy the transmission fluid and differential fluid but how many oz do I need?

-----------------
Just for the fun of reading..here is what the Stevens Creek Lexus service center sent me when I asked them what's included in the 60k. What they are doing are nothing major. They didn't even mention transmission fluid or differential fluid change. $1200 with tax is killing me.

Hi,
Here is this info you requested. The 60k service is $1119.72 with tax. The service takes approximately 8 hours and we will provide you with acomplimentary loaner vehicle during the service.Please contact me directly if you have any further questions.

All the best,
Steve

- REPLACE AIR CONDITIONER FILTER.
- REPLACE BRAKE FLUID.
- REPLACE ENGINE AIR FILTER.
- DRAIN AND REFILL ENGINE COOLANT.
- REPLACE ENGINE OIL AND OIL FILTER.
- REPLACE SPARK PLUGS.
- RE-TORQUE DRIVE SHAFT FLANGE BOLTS.
- ROTATE TIRES (ALL MODELS EXCEPT IS 300 SPORTCROSS).
- ROAD-TEST VEHICLE.
- MEASURE BRAKE PADS FRONT _____MM, REAR _____MM.
- INSPECT: BALL JOINTS AND DUST COVERS, BODY, BRAKE LINES AND HOSES, BRAKEPADS AND DISCS, DIFFERENTIAL OIL, DRIVE BELTS, DRIVE SHAFT BOOTS, ENGINEVALVES, EXHAUST PIPES AND MOUNTINGS, FUEL LINES AND CONNECTIONS, FUELTANK BAND AND FUEL TANK VAPOR VENT SYSTEM HOSES, FUEL TANK CAP GASKET,RANK AND PINION ASSEMBLY, STEERING LINKAGE AND BOOTS, TRANSMISSIONFLUID. LOAD TEST BATTERY.MEASURE ALL FOUR TIRES AND ADJUST TIRE PRESSURES.

*DEALER RECOMMENDED ITEMS PERFORMED**
**INSTALL FUEL ADDITIVE TO THE FUEL TANK**
**INSTALL BATTERY TERMINAL ANTI CORROSIVE PADS**
**INSTALL WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID**
**CLEAN THROTTLE BODY CHAMBER**
**REPLACE WIPER INSERTS**
**REPLACE KEY BATTERY**
--NOTE: IS SPORTCROSS WILL HAVE AN ADDITIONAL CHARGE FOR THE THIRD WIPER INSERT--765
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDS REPLACING TRANSMISSION FLUID AND DIFFERENTIAL OIL IF VEHICLE IS PRIMARILY USED ON DUSTY, DIRT OR UNPAVED ROADS, FOR TOWING, USING A CAMPER OR CAR-TOP CARRIER.

Steven C. Woisin
Assistant Service Manager
Master Certified
408-330-3012
steve.woisin@lexusofstevenscreek.com
Old 10-07-10, 07:16 PM
FiLtHyGS
Rookie

so i found this shop on yelp it call Thanh's Auto Service & Repair his prices are pretty koo an his works are pretty legit u guys should check him out for tune up for my car he told he orders only lexus part http://www.yelp.com/biz/thanhs-auto-...epair-san-jose

Quick Reply: Independent Shops for: 30/60/90k Service, Suspension Mods, Engine mods, etc.