Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Moving to Fremont, CA (NEED ADVICE!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-07 | 07:13 PM
pardo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrurmil
I don't know if an apartment in hayward would the "best" place for you to park your IS350 outside...
i second this... Hayward / San Leandro prolly not the best place to park your car outside.

Fremont / Milpitas are "safer"
Old 03-29-07 | 07:27 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

As Baoser recommended, there are a lot of rooms for rent out of peoples homes. We did that in our home for a couple of years as well.

You can get into better neighborhoods this way as people mentioned if the apartment rent is low, the area is probably not that great.

Outside of rushhour traffic, the evenings and weekends, traffic is pretty light.

From NUMMI you are about an hour max from just about any type of city type of entertainment, either south towards San Jose or north towards Oakland, Berkeley or San Fancisco.
Old 03-29-07 | 07:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
920 Fletcher Lane #101, Hayward Ca
1 bedroom 1 bath with balcony
Living room with dining area, balcony with a view, well maintained,
great location, close to shopping, Bart, on site laundry,
owner pays water & garbage.
A 'view' of what? The freeway? A cemetary?
Old 03-30-07 | 12:07 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Default Welcome to Fremont

I am glad that this post has got so many replies... a lot nice people here... I live in Fremont too

Not sure what else to add but here is my share, for you and many other CL members. Fremont and many other Bay Area cities use photo enforcement red light running cameras, be aware and cautious while driving!

In the next month I am installing five more cameras in three Fremont intersections (I am a City of Fremont employee, traffic engineer) for PD, they are:
- Mission & Warm Springs: north bound through and left, east bound through and left
- Mission & Mohave: west bound through and right (right turn on red)
- Thronton & Blacow: east bound through and right (right turn on red) and north bound through/left/right (to I-880 on ramp)

Anyone who is interested in the active red light camera location, please send me a private message. Good luck in Fremont and drive safely.
Old 03-30-07 | 09:05 AM
Baoser
Lead Lap

wewt, thanks for the heads up =)

but the traffic here in northern cali is really nothing compared to southern cali...haha there is all kinds of things to do in the area, just not actually IN fremont... but most enterntainment is within an hour's drive in any direction.
Old 03-30-07 | 09:15 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

My wife was looking at apartments in Union City - Union Square - and they run $900 to $1000 a month. We live in Elk Grove, but she works at the Union City Lowes. Because she doesn't need to be there everyday, we determined it is cheaper for her to get a hotel room (she is currently staying at the Holiday Inn Express on Mowry) because it includes everything she needs (utilities, TV/cable, furniture, linens, etc.) for ~$55 a night. They will not give you that rate unless you negotiate. She previously stayed at the Good Night Inn (right across the freeway from NUMMI) for $45 a night.

If your stay is limited to just one year, you might consider this option, but no matter how you slice it, living in the East Bay is not inexpensive. And I agree with everyone else here - I wouldn't park my IS in Hayward. At least not if I wanted to see it unscathed again.
Old 03-30-07 | 02:03 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Does your transfer to NUMMI come with any sort of housing subsidy or Cost of Living Adjustment?

And if you haven't been to the West Coast or NYC/Boston/DC etc... you are in for a price shock... After you've paid rent, save that money for $3.45 /gallon for premium, $30+ for daily parking in SF garages, $4 to cross the bridges to get to SF. (Or you can loop around but then you fight more traffic, CHP heavy enforcement, and burn gas), $10 movies, and relatively high state taxes.

But we live here because it really is a great place to live due to weather, culture, scenery, employment opportunities, etc. I think it'll be a nice year for you, whatever the price for rent ends up being.
Old 03-30-07 | 02:21 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Coming from Kentucky, One year in Northern CA... 12 months... You can go to, in no particular order,

Napa, Lake Tahoe (summer and winter), Santa Cruz, Monterey/Carmel, Yosemite, Southern CA, Las Vegas, Point Reyes, Sausalito/Tiburon, Alcatraz, Big Sur, etc.

All those are within driving distance for a weekend, though I recommend flying for Vegas... You should have plenty to do if you find time to take one road trip every month.
Old 03-30-07 | 02:22 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Originally Posted by sirkfc

But we live here because it really is a great place to live due to weather, culture, scenery, employment opportunities, etc. I think it'll be a nice year for you, whatever the price for rent ends up being.
Oh so true, plus some of the most active and friendly CL communities around.

Here's our local meet history going back 5 years:

http://www.lgwnorcal.net/meets/index.html

Old 03-30-07 | 02:50 PM
marc123
Driver School Candidate

As far as stuff to do Fremont is pretty tame..I agree with everyone else that San Francisco and San Jose are the night life cities. Personally I like San Francisco better but find it easier to go bar hopping in SanJose. Things are spread out in SF.

My family does own a pool hall in Fremont though off the Stevenson exit on the 880 freeway. Don't know if thats your cup of tea but its called Bay Billiards and gets full on the weekends.

As far as apartments go, there are a lot of new developments in Milpitas. Might be condos though..weather has been nice lately, welcome to the area.

Last edited by marc123; 03-30-07 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-30-07 | 03:00 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Does your transfer to NUMMI come with any sort of housing subsidy or Cost of Living Adjustment?

And if you haven't been to the West Coast or NYC/Boston/DC etc... you are in for a price shock... After you've paid rent, save that money for $3.45 /gallon for premium, $30+ for daily parking in SF garages, $4 to cross the bridges to get to SF. (Or you can loop around but then you fight more traffic, CHP heavy enforcement, and burn gas), $10 movies, and relatively high state taxes.

Yea, I'm in KY right now but, I'm originally from Philly and I've been to Boston, NYC, DC, Jersey....

Okay so, I'll watch out for "Hayward / San Leandro".......thanks for the great advices everyone! Appreciate it!

So, i just got back from work today and I found out that I might be living with 4-5 other people and sharing a place.......so hopefully it works out the best for me, considering I still gotta pay for my darn loans, IS350, etc...
Old 03-30-07 | 04:55 PM
Trexus

I'd like to welcome you to NorCal. I recently moved here from southern California. I live in Richmond which is about 10 miles north of Oakland. Another CL member by the name of Davtown lives up here as well. There's lot's to see and do up here but since I'm in my busy season I haven't really had a chance to get out and see what's really out here. I wish you well on your move to Freemont.
Old 03-30-07 | 07:01 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by marc123
As far as stuff to do Fremont is pretty tame..I agree with everyone else that San Francisco and San Jose are the night life cities. Personally I like San Francisco better but find it easier to go bar hopping in SanJose. Things are spread out in SF.

My family does own a pool hall in Fremont though off the Stevenson exit on the 880 freeway. Don't know if thats your cup of tea but its called Bay Billiards and gets full on the weekends.

As far as apartments go, there are a lot of new developments in Milpitas. Might be condos though..weather has been nice lately, welcome to the area.
What you own bay billiards? Can someone say next meet location?
Old 03-30-07 | 09:37 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
A 'view' of what? The freeway? A cemetary?
High tech industry
Old 03-30-07 | 09:38 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Trexus
I'd like to welcome you to NorCal. I recently moved here from southern California. I live in Richmond which is about 10 miles north of Oakland. Another CL member by the name of Davtown lives up here as well. There's lot's to see and do up here but since I'm in my busy season I haven't really had a chance to get out and see what's really out here. I wish you well on your move to Freemont.
Ah. .you live 5 mins away from me. I live in Berkeley and I go to 99ranch (or ranch 99) all the time.

Quick Reply: Moving to Fremont, CA (NEED ADVICE!)