Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Moving to Fremont, CA (NEED ADVICE!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07 | 07:21 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Default Moving to Fremont, CA (NEED ADVICE!)

Okay guys I know most of you are from Cali so, hopefully you can help me

Well....I work at the Kentucky plant for Toyota and I will be moving to Fremont, CA to work at NUMMI for the next year. I've never been out to the westcoast so, I don't know what's it like out there...

1) I need to find a place around NUMMI area that is pretty sweet BUT, at the same time it's CHEAP! Any advice on location for finding one...?
2) Also, how is the surrounding area for having fun and stuff...?? What is there to do??
3) Any other pointers are welcome....

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Cornellian; 03-28-07 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-28-07 | 11:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cornellian
1) I need to find a place around NUMMI area that is pretty sweet BUT, at the same time it's CHEAP! Any advice on location for finding one...?
A park bench?
Old 03-28-07 | 11:37 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
A park bench?
haha... Sadly, that's so true. I dont know what you definition of cheap, but generally "cheap" does not apply to real estate in Cali. I would actually guess that places would be less expensive in Fremont or Newark then in the San Jose area. There are a lot of things to do but that depends on what your interest are...
Old 03-29-07 | 12:04 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

I live in Fremont. Finding a cheap place is NOT easy. There are a few neighborhoods in Fremont. Centerville, Irvington, Mission, Niles, and Warm Springs. If you want to get in to a house in Mission you will have a hard time finding anything under $1M. If your going to just be staying here for a here, your best bet would probably be to rent an apartment. Even then the rent isn't that cheap. Check some surrounding cities which will probably be cheaper: Union City, Newark, Milpitas.

As far as things to do, there isn't much. It's just like any other town. You can probably find everything you will ever need in the city though. There is big man made lake (Lake Elizabeth) with a really nice surrounding park if you are into that kind of thing. For night life SF would be your best bet, which is about a 40 minute drive. There is also some in San Jose which is much closer.

It's late and I probably missed some stuff, let me know if you have any more questions.

P.S. You would probably get more answers if a mod moved this into the NorCal forum.
Old 03-29-07 | 12:13 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

The first thing to do is to check out the CL NorCal forums to see the activities we have going on with local members.

We are very active in NorCal going on 6 years now. You can find meet history at our local website here: http://www.lgwnorcal.net/meets/index.html

As far as Fremont and the NUMMI plant, it's in the middle of everything. San Francisco and San Jose are your two large cities, both within 45 min or less. At this time of year you are only a 3 hour drive between being able to snow ski and water ski on the same day.

We have 2 seasons, winter rain for 4 months and summer for the rest. Some areas almost hit 80 degrees last week, but yesterday we had an early April shower. Due to this environment, we have very few trees on the mountainside and nothing you would call a forest. Everything is brown for 8 months. No hunting and mainly salt water fishing in the Pacific. Golfing, Tennis and outdoor sports are popular.

You are also right on the border of the Silicon Valley, World Headquarters for many high tech companies such as of Intel, Apple, AMD, Cisco, Oracle, Hewlett Packard, IBM, National Semiconductor, Google, Ebay, Yahoo & Paypal to name a few.

All these amenities come with a price. Unlike other parts of the country, the Home Selling market is still strong, demand is high and we still cannot build residences fast enough to meet the demand.

Lot's of nice areas and very few bad areas to live. Fremont and areas north of it are Union City and Hayward are some of the more reasonably priced residences. South towards San Jose and the heart of Silicon Valley, the prices go up.

Many people who want to own a home, but have modest incomes find themselves moving out towards the central valley (Modesto, Manteca) or south bay cities of Gilroy or Salinas. Those folk take the train into work or drive around 2 hours to get to their jobs in the Bay Area.

When you get out here, be sure to come out to our meets and say hi. We have a very tight knit group and promote a family friendly environment.

Good Luck

Here's some pictures of the Bay Area particularly San Francisco, where we had our last meet (jump to the last thread posts for the best pics):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=270180

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-29-07 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-29-07 | 03:23 AM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

I'll be there for a year so, I'm just looking for a decent apartment...
Old 03-29-07 | 11:02 AM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

i worked at NUMMI for 3 years as a QCE....It'll be small compare to the KY plant...

but back to topic... apartments in Fremont will be around ~1400+
Old 03-29-07 | 11:07 AM
Neo
The One

It would probably help if you gave people a price range that you would consider "CHEAP". Remember that this is CA.
Old 03-29-07 | 11:40 AM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

"Cheap" and Bay Area go together like oil and water.
A quick search on apartments.com or a similar site should give you some decent reference points. Also, check to see if your employer has contracts with any apartment complexes in Fremont or with Extended Stay hotels in the East Bay area (Union City) in case you need a few weeks to find an apt. once you arrive.
Good luck...
Old 03-29-07 | 03:15 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Yea, sorry guys, I guess I should've mentioned that I pay around $550-$600 here.... and I know that this price range is probably laughable in Cali! So, I guess my price would be around $800 or so I assume that I may be able to find something close to this range in Union City?

I will DEFINITELY join you guys for the meets as I love to meet new people...

I like to go out on weekends to party and stuff but, during daytime I like to do outdoor activities.....anything that'll beat sitting around!

Thanks for the advice!

NOTE to Moderator: As other people have said, can you move this thread to NoCal Forum??? -- Thanks!
Old 03-29-07 | 04:11 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Originally Posted by Cornellian
Yea, sorry guys, I guess I should've mentioned that I pay around $550-$600 here.... and I know that this price range is probably laughable in Cali! So, I guess my price would be around $800 or so I assume that I may be able to find something close to this range in Union City?
Most apartments average over $1000

I suggest going to Craigslist.org

If you want to be within 30-45 min of work, you will have to select a place from one of the following cities: Fremont, Milpitas, Newark, Union City, Hayward.

Here's one I found close to Nummi at under $1000:

$825 / 1br - Norcal Realty Inc, 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment with balcony (hayward / castro valley)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: hous-302072193@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-03-28, 1:08PM PDT

920 Fletcher Lane #101, Hayward Ca
1 bedroom 1 bath with balcony
Living room with dining area, balcony with a view, well maintained,
great location, close to shopping, Bart, on site laundry,
owner pays water & garbage.

Just for some perspective, the Carlyle Apartments by me rent from $1775 for a 717 sq.ft. 1bdr to $2695 for a 1345 sq.ft 3bdr.
Old 03-29-07 | 05:48 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

I don't know if an apartment in hayward would the "best" place for you to park your IS350 outside...
Old 03-29-07 | 06:03 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Cali rent isn't cheap unless you in the really bad part of the area...
Old 03-29-07 | 06:06 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Ok, well we currently have a room rented out in the back of our house...with own entrance, own bathroom/ "kitchen" we are currently renting out at $550 a month, utilities covered. so.... i'm sure you can find a place to stay, its just a matter of finding one that suits ur needs =)

i am roughly a 10 minute (local) drive away from the nummi plant also, but fremont is extremelllllllly boring... surrounding cities are where all the fun is...
Old 03-29-07 | 06:22 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Baoser
Ok, well we currently have a room rented out in the back of our house...with own entrance, own bathroom/ "kitchen" we are currently renting out at $550 a month, utilities covered. so.... i'm sure you can find a place to stay, its just a matter of finding one that suits ur needs =)

i am roughly a 10 minute (local) drive away from the nummi plant also, but fremont is extremelllllllly boring... surrounding cities are where all the fun is...
What would I have to do to rent your part of the place? But, for having fun, I assume I can still go out by doing not too much driving...in the cali traffic...if I lived near NUMMI.

Quick Reply: Moving to Fremont, CA (NEED ADVICE!)