Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Move to Bay area- Where to live recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-07, 01:56 PM
J:M
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by tcho82
can someone tell me is this a safe decent area?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...4462&z=16&om=1
It's cool. The closer you can get to Berkeley, Emeryville, or Piedmont, you're good. Stay away from East Oakland.
Old 08-13-07, 02:45 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by J:M
It's cool. The closer you can get to Berkeley, Emeryville, or Piedmont, you're good. Stay away from East Oakland.
^^^ agree.

Foster City's nice...but cost $$$......
Old 08-13-07, 05:04 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi There,

I'll be moving to the Bay area very shortly, I don't have my Lexus anymore, but still on the boards so I'd figure I'd give this a shot.

I will be working in Hayward, and would like to be within a 30-40 minute commute radius. So far I have been heavily thinking of the Tri Valley area, more particularly Dublin. Rent seems reasonable, relatively safe, and not too far from Hayward. Fremont and San Mateo were also thoughts, but seemed more expensive.

Any suggestions for the Norcal CL group members? Any thoughts are appreciated.

I'm a young professional, but don't HAVE to be near the city life, but within driving distance on the weekends is nice, want to stay under 1600-1700 for rent, garage parking preferable or at least a carport. Don't want my car broken into, and want it to be a safe neighborhood for my gf.

Thanks ahead of time.
Welcome to Norcal... the home of overinflated cost of living. Out of all the places in the Bay I've lived in, I love San Mateo. Lived there for almost 10 years. Only problem is $1600 isn't going to get you much depending on what part of San Mateo. It is practically in the middle of the Bay so it's a great location. Foster City isnt that much different. It's a very nice area, but no matter where you go it'll have a ghetto somewhere in the city... and thats where the rent is usually more reasonable. I'd try to find something in the east bay. If you have a regular 8-5 then good luck. Traffic on the bridge is no joke, not to mention toll. What part of IL are you coming from? I lived there for awhile and have lots of family there
Old 08-13-07, 06:38 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'm coming from the North Suburbs. Grew up in the Skokie area and now live up north in Grayslake.

At this point I'm just thinking of Pleasanton for now. Maybe move after the initial lease is up if its bad, but there are just too many potential places to live and I'm not going to figure them all out until I move out there anyhow....
Old 08-13-07, 10:51 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. I'm coming from the North Suburbs. Grew up in the Skokie area and now live up north in Grayslake.

At this point I'm just thinking of Pleasanton for now. Maybe move after the initial lease is up if its bad, but there are just too many potential places to live and I'm not going to figure them all out until I move out there anyhow....
I lived in Des Plaines for a year and went to school in Maine East HS back in 94. My family still lives in Park Ridge, Niles, and Barrington. Anyways, you should take a weekend to fly out and check out the area and see what its like. It's definately a big change from the Chicago area.
Old 08-18-07, 05:21 AM
VF84
Pole Position

oakland is hit or miss. that area is ok. if u do decide on oakland, take one drive around and it'll be quite visible as to whether or not the neighborhood is safe or not. i still wouldn't let my wife walk at night alone in oakland, just too nasty. my female friends would literally run from the bus station to their apt.

pleasanton/dublin area is more suburbia. bart is available for ur commute to hayward, so u don't have to drive if close enough to the stations. a bit north is san ramon, really nice quite neighborhood, but may be pricy.

up and down hayward such as union city may be another option.

san mateo/foster city is nice because it's closer to sf and san mateo commute isn't too bad (except for the 880/92 interchange).
Old 08-18-07, 03:16 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

So I've finalized my plans. Fremont it is. Now I've got to figure out how to get my stuff there.
Old 08-19-07, 01:35 AM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

So I've finalized my plans. Fremont it is. Now I've got to figure out how to get my stuff there.
Seems like you made up your mind. I live in the tri-valley area (Pleasanton/Dublin/San Ramon/Livermore) for about 10 years now and like someone said - it's definitely suburbia. Fremont is next to Pleasanton and is more of an older town. The expensive part is the Mission San Jose district because the schools are top notch while other areas of Fremont are cheaper and some parts are not quite ghetto but just not as nice.
Old 08-19-07, 10:29 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

I'll be in the downtown fremont area. Off of Stevenson and Paseo Padre.