Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Car won't start -- Anyone in Sac (by Fulton/Howe) area that can help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-07, 11:53 AM
DZLEXIK
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you turn off your car do you disconnect the faceplate? Or power it down from the power button? Try that and see if it still happens..It has to do with something draining it, if u are certain ur battery is holding a charge well...weird
Old 11-30-07, 01:08 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

No faceplate can be removed (pioneer avic-d3) I power it down everytime I turn off the car.

Originally Posted by DZLEXIK
when you turn off your car do you disconnect the faceplate? Or power it down from the power button? Try that and see if it still happens..It has to do with something draining it, if u are certain ur battery is holding a charge well...weird
Old 12-23-07, 03:12 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

Hey guys, I'm still having this problem. I exchanged the battery for a new one and the same result, after several days...it dies. I had the deck rewired so I have a separate switch to cut off the power to the deck. What else can be the problem...alternator etc? I'm in the sf bay area and in sac area, so if anyone could maybe take a look and help me out, that'll be great.

Also, there have also been times when the car's rpm drops and dies out unless I step on the gas a little. If I have the defrost/heat on and the deck on, the music will first get a little distorted and the rpm drops, so I shut it off right away and everything else.
Old 12-23-07, 03:59 PM
DZLEXIK
Lead Lap

lol then yes alternator...its not charging fully or you have too much juice going on at one time(i doubt it), you should take it to ur mechanic..a different one kuz he would have checked to see if your alternator was charging at its full potential...
Old 12-23-07, 04:54 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DZLEXIK
lol then yes alternator...its not charging fully or you have too much juice going on at one time(i doubt it), you should take it to ur mechanic..a different one kuz he would have checked to see if your alternator was charging at its full potential...
haha, so, you're pretty sure its the alternator then huh? I'm going to try to get it checked tomorrow or later this week. Any idea of an estimated cost to change it? Thanks
Old 12-23-07, 08:59 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

just get a volt meter and check it your self. should be above 12.6, good alternators run at 14
Old 12-24-07, 07:48 AM
DZLEXIK
Lead Lap

yup that easy! just dont hold the metal parts of the test probes and you should be good hohoho
Old 01-08-08, 10:39 AM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

i went to exact motorsports yesterday and had it checked. john told me the car was charging fine and the problem was with the wiring of the stereo. is there someone who can look at this for me? its a 99 ls400 with pioneer avic-d3.
Old 03-09-08, 11:35 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

I forgot to give an update on the situation. I switched to a red top optima battery and everything has been running fine.
Old 03-09-08, 11:58 PM
DZLEXIK
Lead Lap

Glad to hear u got the problem solved. Is that ur car in ur sig? I havent seen any VIP LS's or stock black ones even around Sac at all, looks nice! You need to come to the next meet!
Old 03-10-08, 12:16 AM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

Yeah, that's my car. Thanks. I haven't seen many LS's around here either. Been out here for about a year now.
Old 04-21-08, 07:14 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

Sup guys...the problem started again last week. Went out to the car and the remote didnt work...here we go again Had to jumpstart it and it was running good for several days. I'm at a loss for what to do.

I found out there's a volt meter on the deck, so before I turn the car off, I check it and it's usually above 13 with everything off and the headlights. When I turn the car on, it's usually mid to high 13's

I called the guy that helped me with the deck most recently and he said to "have the alternator modified to allow more power"...is this possible? Then to change the battery again to a new one...and now he says another possibility is the amp (phoenix gold) may be drawing too much power...?

What should I do??
Old 04-21-08, 09:01 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

parasitic draw? if its charging at upper 13s thats good enough to start the car. so something gotta be happening overnight...
Old 04-21-08, 09:42 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you sure nothing in the car is staying on? When I took my car in to have my brake lights rewired, my radio (aftermarket), and clock on the dash would stay on after I turned off the car and everything. I took it back in a few days later and had it all fixed free of charge.
Old 04-21-08, 10:06 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

I've changed the battery several times. It lasted the longest with the redtop optima battery I currently have, but soon died. My driving consists of mainly short city driving. Sometimes just about 2 miles each way. During this period, I may have the volume up, but before I turn the car off, I check the voltage and it's still around 13 when everything is off. I've been informed that driving short distances with the volume up may be bad because the alternator will not be able to charge the battery properly. Any truth to this?

Quick Reply: Car won't start -- Anyone in Sac (by Fulton/Howe) area that can help?