Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Spoiler: any suggestion before I take it to auto body shop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-08, 09:30 PM
labrealiv
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spoiler: any suggestion before I take it to auto body shop?

Hello,

During a very "Blonde" moment , and also maybe because it was pouring....I tried to lift open the trunk by pulling on the spoiler.

One corner came off!

There's a thick layer of "white tape" which isn't cooperating. Do I need to heat it? Any DIY suggestion before I try the auto body shop?
(Car is 2000 SC300; no screws. Spoiler seems to be held down at ea. corner by tape!)

Thanks!

Last edited by labrealiv; 02-23-08 at 09:32 PM. Reason: to add car info
Old 02-23-08, 11:43 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And it's the stock spoiler? just take it off and if you don't mind drilling into the trunk, put it on properly yourself.
Old 02-24-08, 01:18 AM
madness
Pole Position

If you don't want to drill into it you can get double sided 3M Automotive tape. The stuff is strong and if used correctly it would take more than you tugging on it for it to come off. I have my new spoiler put on with 3M tape, it's not easy to take off unless it's heated or you use a solvent to remove it. I have also used it to put my rear L-Tuned lip on my car. It's very durable and works well. It's not very expensive. Do you really want to drill holes into your trunk? Just my 2 Cents.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3.../Acrylic_Plus/
Old 02-24-08, 12:19 PM
labrealiv
Driver

Originally Posted by madness
If you don't want to drill into it you can get double sided 3M Automotive tape. The stuff is strong and if used correctly it would take more than you tugging on it for it to come off. I have my new spoiler put on with 3M tape, it's not easy to take off unless it's heated or you use a solvent to remove it. I have also used it to put my rear L-Tuned lip on my car. It's very durable and works well. It's not very expensive. Do you really want to drill holes into your trunk? Just my 2 Cents.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3.../Acrylic_Plus/
This is not the "drill-a-hole" kind of spoiler. Only the outer edges touch the trunk. There's gap betwn trunk + center portion. Only the left side of wing became detached due to my pulling on it.

How do I remove current tape w/o harming paint? Am willing to try the 3M Auto tape after.
Old 02-26-08, 04:43 PM
madness
Pole Position

Best way to do it is to warm up the tape. You can use a blow dryer just be careful and take your time. You will then slowly start to peel and loosen the tape up. It takes time but you can do it.
Old 03-01-08, 07:11 PM
labrealiv
Driver

Originally Posted by madness
Best way to do it is to warm up the tape. You can use a blow dryer just be careful and take your time. You will then slowly start to peel and loosen the tape up. It takes time but you can do it.
THANKS Madness!

Actually stopped by a body shop anyway to get an estimate. The spoiler is supposed to be bolted down at both ends, but looks like maybe the left-side has broken thru the fiberglass hole.

Will need to un-bolt + un-tape the whole wing + start fresh.

Spring project when the weather warms up... I stuck on another layer of auto tape in the meantime.