Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

soooooo (Scooter Accident thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 10:23 PM
ajlimey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by igofast

I'm not with or against vespa driving, but i been in incidents that vespa riders ride like a holes. Swerving through lanes without signaling. Not everyone is perfect and people do make mistakes.

Not quite sure what you're trying to say here, Igofast, but let me remind you that it was my friend Josh that ended up in hospital very badly injured because of this particular incident, and that the Lexus driver was uninjured.

I'm not sure you want to start bandying that particular insult around right now.

However, I'd say $1 in the swear box for Josh's fundraiser would make it all better

AJ
Old 03-02-08, 10:25 PM
Mortifer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by this1b0y
Mortifer, as one of the organizers in this cruise meet, the safety rules were laid out strictly and any violations of either not obeying the rules would result in not being welcome in any further meets.
answering your question regarding the speed of the vehicles, the group had been told striclty again to follow all speed limit signs and yield the way for cyclists and bikes, you can see that in the first post of the event posting.

there are times where a small portion of the group may be behind due to cyclists or corners and each member was given a map to catch up to when or if they do get left behind. and we have issued walkie talkie channels for communication.
The speed limit on the top portion of hwy 9 is 35mph. So according to your post the group was going 35 or less (if being held up by bicycles).

According to a post from the Vespa forum-
"Just talked to someone who was on the ride and he described the accident as a young early 20's kid driving an Lexus SC300 50-55mph around a 25mph turn loosing control, locking his brakes up and skidding into the on coming lane hitting Josh head on. Josh was on his Green Laser (not leading but in the middle of the pack) which was thrown some 100 yards backwards and down into a ravine. Both car and scooter are totaled. "

Tell me that vehicle damage and skidmarks can happen at 35mph
Sounds like the group was going a bit faster than 35.
Old 03-02-08, 10:27 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by ajlimey
Actually, I've asked for a public statement from the run organisers, other attendees and from the forum in general. That hasn't happened.
Andrea, I have made a number of polite requests above about not speculating and what you continue to ask for is an assignment of blame and administrative actions based on something we simply don't know about.

I'm not trying to be difficult but you say it well:
Until we get the police reports, any statement, mechanical failure, or bad driving, is speculation.
We're going to have to wait and see what the investigators come up with. IMO right now we should concentrate on what can be done for Josh and his family.
Old 03-02-08, 10:30 PM
miss_IS300
Lead Lap

Now that someone has shed more light onto the story, isn't it safe to assume that if the braking system wasn't working properly then shouldn't the driver have stayed off such a twisty road in the first place?
Old 03-02-08, 10:34 PM
this1b0y
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mortifer
The speed limit on the top portion of hwy 9 is 35mph. So according to your post the group was going 35 or less (if being held up by bicycles).

According to a post from the Vespa forum-
"Just talked to someone who was on the ride and he described the accident as a young early 20's kid driving an Lexus SC300 50-55mph around a 25mph turn loosing control, locking his brakes up and skidding into the on coming lane hitting Josh head on. Josh was on his Green Laser (not leading but in the middle of the pack) which was thrown some 100 yards backwards and down into a ravine. Both car and scooter are totaled. "

Tell me that vehicle damage and skidmarks can happen at 35mph
Sounds a bit faster than 35.
Mortifier, like I have said earlier, I did not see or experience any of the incident that has happened today. There were non Lexus vehicles behind the driver of the SC today and what i have been told is they have made their statement with CHP of what they saw and experienced as directly behind that driver.

Please let the CHP and police reports show the speed and lay out the facts.
i can easily say i saw the Vespas drive 40 MPH on the cruise but it would jsut be me guessing, i do not have a radar detector to test their speed.

whoever had said the driver of the Lexus was driving at 50-55 mph, if she/he can state every single drivers' speed coming on the freeway jsut by eye-balling it, it would be impressive, but that highly not possible. if he was going faster than speed limit of course u would blurt out a random number. but going at that speed in a mountain like highway 9 is unrealistic even with no traffic. even 25 mph is fast if u saw it coming straight at you.

mechanical incident or not, please leave the facts to the officials and witnesses at the site of the incident. everything else are plain guess from each everyone.
Thank you.
Old 03-02-08, 10:38 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Very sad day today, my prayers to Josh and his family. Has anyone setup some kind of paypal or something for everyone to start donating to?

Edit: any other updates on Josh's condition?

http://www.team-driven.net/events/20...t8/240tree.htm

reminds me of a incident that occured last year at a nissan yearly meet...

Last edited by Baoser; 03-02-08 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-02-08, 10:41 PM
madness
Pole Position

Too many assumptions and speculations are being made without too many facts.

Bottom line is someone got hurt and we should be focusing on how to help this person and not point fingers to blame someone.

I would be more than happy to donate anything I can towards Josh's cause. My prayers and thoughts go out to him and his family.
Old 03-02-08, 10:44 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
IMO right now we should concentrate on what can be done for Josh and his family.
I agree with this. we can say whatever, you can say whatever. the fact is we weren't there. so its all speculation until 5-0 write there reports.

so what can we do to help out?
Old 03-02-08, 10:48 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Igofast, but let me remind you that it was my friend Josh that ended up in hospital very badly injured because of this particular incident, and that the Lexus driver was uninjured.

AJ
I'm down for what ever fund raiser there is. I'm just trying to say not all lexus drivers are not perfect and neither are Vespa riders.

So is this how it goes now? Whoever is severely injured is the innocent one?

If there was another incident that the Vespa Versus a car in general and the Vespa ran a red, the vespa would probably take more damage and still be innocent because the vespa got injured more than the car?

Let's just hope Josh gets well soon.
Old 03-02-08, 10:51 PM
this1b0y
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by igofast
I'm down for what ever fund raiser there is. I'm just trying to say not all lexus drivers are not perfect and neither are Vespa riders.

So is this how it goes now? Whoever is severely injured is the innocent one?

If there was another incident that the Vespa Versus a car in general and the Vespa ran a red, the vespa would probably take more damage and still be innocent because the vespa got injured more than the car?

Let's just hope Josh gets well soon.
igofast, please do not make the conversation even more complicated. lets just focus on the event that has happened to day and how we can to do help it. thanks.
Old 03-02-08, 11:29 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

I know I'd like to help the guy that was hurt, but the club as it was put owes no one anything. I'd just like to help........ to help. This is an internet chat forum and that is the real world. There are 82,000+ people here from all over the globe and only one out there in the real world that got in an accident. People act like we had 82,000 people sitting in a corner in California watching events unfold. Like it was said before, one that I don't think was even a member here. I think he just knew someone that knew someone. (i am guessing)

It sucks that that guy got hurt in an accident. Best wishes to his family. If I decide to try and help that fella that got hurt it will be because I want to help a needy family out. Hell I live 1500 miles away from California, What do I have to do with it? Nada. There's a lot of people in the club all over the world. No one is going to take responsibility for one single person, that's ludicrous.

I would say anyone that want's to help him, do so. Don't just go do it because of a guilt trip being laid out on you. We all chat here, we don't sleep in the same bed. If the guy has a structured and organized (and verifiable) fund set up I'll throw some coin in.
Old 03-03-08, 12:21 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Being a motorcycle rider as well, my prayers go out to Josh and his wife. I hope he makes a speedy recovery without any lasting damage, and that everyone can learn from this tragedy. If this fundraiser happens count me in as well.
Old 03-03-08, 12:22 AM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

First and foremost I want to send my wishes to Josh and his Family. Its very unfortunate that this accident had taken place, No one wishes anyone to get hurt. I hope and pray for a speedy recovery. As all members and myself send our best wishes and prayers out to josh and his family!
Old 03-03-08, 01:16 AM
afrrealty
Rookie

This was my first club lexus event today and I felt the whole event was well organized. I can also attest to the club's desire to make this a safe event because I was personally sent a detailed message from the organizers urging me to obey all rules of conduct. I can furnish this if necessary.

The accident today was extremely unfortunate. I was shocked to find out about it later on down the road. This is a total wakeup call to everyone who shares the road, be it on a bike/scooter or in a "cage". We are all responsible for our individual actions. The club is not a daycare and cannot possibly be held responsible for everyone's individual actions. We must think for ourselves at all times because our actions affect those who surround us.

As a fellow motorcyclist, I know what it is like to go down and will definitely be praying for the speedy recovery of Josh and his family. I am also interested in contributing to a verifiable fundraiser once it has been setup.
Old 03-03-08, 06:42 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi guys, let me out myself as being one of the many moderators over at Modern Vespa as well as a IS 350 driver up in Toronto Canada. I can completely understand the reactions that are occurring over on Modern Vespa. A person's life, Josh, was severely changed yesterday as a result of a head on collision with a car. For those of us who ride two wheeled vehicles, this is one of our most dreaded things. The fact that this occurred while he was riding in his own lane by a vehicle on the wrong side of the road for whatever reason is even more horrifying. In this time of grief, we will see all sorts of reactions to this tragedy. The first and foremost thing we must do is do everything that we can to help those involved in this event, those most affected being Josh and his loved ones.

It is not helpful to make negative comments about scooter riders here. I am a scooter rider and I take great pride in my good riding abilities. Do not paint us all with the same stick. Likewise I hope that my scootering community will not paint all Lexus drivers with the same brush and label us all bad drivers because of this event. I think that most on Modern Vespa are reacting to the tragedy of what happened. There is currently a paucity of information around what happened at this accident although many members of the Modern Vespa community were present at the time of the event. There will be speculation around the event. Let's not get into some kind of argument about the unknowns, let's concentrate on helping out with a man whose life has been changed forever by yesterday's events.

Last edited by TorontoIS; 03-03-08 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: soooooo (Scooter Accident thread)