Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

soooooo (Scooter Accident thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-08, 08:02 PM
checklist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
Seems like the incident has gone worldweb wide.

"We had rules and we were carrying walkie talkies so we would be able to notify each member that their were bikers and pedistrians."
So, If you we're all just driving along, enjoying the sunshine, and obeying all traffic laws, why do you need radios to warn other cars? I guess the first hand accounts of members of club lexus blaring their stereos and hanging out of windows and sunroofs were fabricated right?
Old 03-03-08, 10:01 PM
miss_IS300
Lead Lap

Very well said LexusGuru. It is very unfortunate that this happened but what is also unfortunate is that an overwhelming amount of people are now labeling Club Lexus as a bunch of spoiled rich brats who have no concern for other peoples safety or property. I know personally that this is nowhere near the truth because I have never met a bigger group of warm hearted and open individuals who are willing to extend a helping hand to a complete stranger.

The truth of the matter is that none of us owe anything to Josh but out of the kindness of everyone's hearts, we are reaching out and trying to make a horrible situation better. It is one individuals mistake, don't force the community to take the brunt of the blow. If I was injured in this type of accident, I wouldn't want to hear of Club Lexus going out and threatening harm upon other individuals or their property especially when they have absolutely nothing to do with it. I'm not saying that I'm a saint by any means. We all make poor decisions but when I have to deal with the repercussions of my actions, I accept them and deal with it. I don't play the blame game and say that it's everyone's fault and give every excuse in the book.

I know MANY MANY MANY people who ride whether it be sport bikes or bicycles and they are all great people. I realize that of course there are going to be those morons who decide that splitting lanes at 70 mph is "cool" but I don't judge all of them that way. The people I know are also some of the best people out there also and I wouldn't judge them based off of some other idiots mistake.

Last edited by miss_IS300; 03-03-08 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-03-08, 10:56 PM
lisalisa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my deepest condolences to josh and his family..

donation just made...

lisalisa
Old 03-04-08, 01:41 AM
Kreuzer
Pole Position

I stopped reading mid page 2.

I wan't to point out some things

1. I hope the best for his family
2. Meets cannot always be watched over 100%
3. Stuff happens, who knows if it was the car or the driver.
4. Donate if you can or want, don't just donate because you feel bad because they are posting here.
5. I stopped attending meets because of the people who don't care about the rules... This was along time ago but i was almost hit on a meet in my IS by another IS.
6. We all share the same road don't we? I don't see why there has to be any finger pointing without knowing all the facts..
7. As stated on page 1 i think, if the owner was going 25mph and couldn't slow down the accident could look like 55mph because of the damage. What does an SC weigh? Lets say 2500-3500 lbs? Imagine a 2500 lb sled on the snow and no way to stop.... With that weight even at 5mph and add the Vespas speed the outcome is not good.
8. In a perfect world this wouldn't have happend, but the world isn't perfect. Lets focus on Josh getting back on his feet and not the petty ish!

PS
I was in an accident in June 07 and haven't seen a dime yet. From someone who use to make all sorts of money to not making much to chase a dream of mine, I can tell you right now. If you are the only income of the house or half the income and you cannot work a week lets say, your in trouble within 2weeks or so.

Get well soon, and If I could push any $$ right now I would, and i may do so if I can in the near future.

D
Old 03-04-08, 02:00 AM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope for a speedy recovery for Josh and his family.

I used to ride up and down Highway 1 between Santa Cruz and Davenport on my road bike. I never felt safe, even when riding in the bike lane/shoulder.

p.s. i'm on barf as well.
Old 03-04-08, 11:00 AM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Who takes a Vespa up a hill or through twisties
Old 03-04-08, 11:21 AM
cfargo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tuddy
Anyone that wants to who has access to one. With the price of gas getting so high, the 70 mpg of a new Vespa is becoming more and more attractive. The stock Vespa GTS 250ie is freeway legal and does 80 MPH. Sure the scooter community will never be as big as the Lexus Community but again not everyone is comfortable on 2 wheeled vehicles.

I am the one who started the thread about all this over on Modern Vespa and I can say for myself that I do not blame Club Lexus as a whole for the accident.
Old 03-04-08, 11:26 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap

occurances like this are why i won't ride 2 wheeled motored vehicles of any sort
Old 03-04-08, 11:49 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Durrr
occurances like this are why i won't ride 2 wheeled motored vehicles of any sort
yup even tho im 25 my mom would still beat the crap out of me if I ever even think about getting a bike. lost too many close friends....
Old 03-04-08, 12:31 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Durrr
I can understand your fear, however, many people die every year doing all sorts of things including driving their cars. Does that keep you from driving your car? It certainly won't stop me from driving my IS350 and it doesn't keep me from riding my Vespa GTS 250. It's all about calculated risks, only you can decide how much risk you're willing to take doing anything in life.

I can tell you that riding my Vespa is a ton of fun, a type of fun that even my fully loaded Lexus IS 350 cannot match.
Old 03-04-08, 01:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,064 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Two weeks after the Motorcycle Safety Foundation certified me as an instructor, one of the original Chief Instructors was killed on his Gold Wing in Arizona in a freak accident. Few riders know more than he did about being safe and driving within your limits, but when someone crossed the median and hit him head on at freeway speed, only omniscience could have saved him.

I've logged well over 200k two-wheel miles on three continents, raced a couple of years with the AFM when it was still Sears Point, and didn't own a car from the time I was 20 until I was almost 29. I went everywhere on my bike. I realized every time I put my leg across the seat it could be the last thing I do. I've had a car pull a U-turn in front of me without enough room to stop, and I've come around a blind turn and encountered a pedestrian on the road that I could not avoid hitting.

I feel for Josh, but at the same time the cries of "he's the sole income for the family, and shouldn't I feel bad about that" don't move me. Josh knew the risk he was taking. Everyone who rides knows you cannot win an altercation with any four wheel vehicle - regardless of right, wrong, or equally at fault, the rider is going to get hurt. There are few cases where the rider survives unscathed, and I can tell you from personal experience - full leathers, boots, gloves, and helmet only mitigate risk. They do not stop all kinds of injury.

Coming here to complain isn't the answer. Being good neighbors, accepting this is a tragic accident, and doing what each person feels is right to help Josh is why this thread exists. Speculation about what did or did not happen, about what could or should have been done, and about where the blame lies does nothing for the Vespa community or the Club Lexus community. Let's stop the fingerpointing and get back to why we enjoy our communities - love of personalizing, showing, and driving our vehicles.
Old 03-04-08, 04:27 PM
afrrealty
Rookie

Originally Posted by tuddy

LMAO!!!! I thought the same thing....then I found out there was like 50 of them! But seriously though......Josh has some great friends/vigilantes over there on the Vespa Forums. I sincerely hope that with all the love and support he's receiving, he can make a speedy recovery so he can get back out there on another Vespa. Hopefully the two clubs will be able to come together and become friends when this whole thing is over.
Old 03-05-08, 03:57 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just want to bring to your attention a post that was made on Modern Vespa yesterday.

Hello all,

Thank you all for your outpouring of support for Josh. Our phone has been ringing off the hook and our email inboxes jammed full of support and good wishes for Josh in his recovery. The money donated to help him and his wife with the medical expenses is greatly appreciated. Josh is the Co-Publisher and Advertising Director at Scoot! Magazine.

For those who do not know what happened, Josh was in an accident during a monthly club ride on Highway 9 here in the Bay Area. 9 is a beautiful, windy, mountain road that is very popular for drivers and riders alike. It is also notoriously dangerous. Josh was riding in the middle of the pack going uphill around a corner when a Lexus apparently lost control and hit Josh head on. Josh was airlifted from the scene and taken to Regional Medical Center in San Jose. He suffered a fractured left femur that broke through the skin and a badly dislocated left wrist. He may also have damage to his left should and right knee, but the results aren't in yet. He will likely be in the hospital through the end of the week. The doctors said that the break in his leg was clean and set well, but it will likely be 3 to 6 months of physical therapy until he can walk normally again. I just came from Josh's hospital room this afternoon and he is comfortable and in good spirits and is very thankful of all the support he's received from all over the world.

According to the police, it would appear that the driver of the Lexus was at fault. For reasons not yet known, he lost control of his car and crossed the centerline in the middle of a turn and collided with Josh. The police also indicated that the car appeared to be modified for racing. The driver was part of a local Lexus club that was also having a drive on 9 that day. It is not yet known why the driver of the Lexus lost control or if he was driving recklessly. He was not seriously injured.

While this was a shock to all of us here at Scoot!, we are thankful that Josh is still with us and will back in the office as soon as he can be. He has already vowed to return to scootering when he's able. In the mean time, we will be running the office as best we can without him. Josh put in many hours here and is well-known in the scootering community and very knowledgeable about scooters and magazines. Scoot! is a small operation and has as many interns as it does permanent staff members. For the time being, the interns will be running day to day operations in the office with the advice of the permanent staff members. Because all permanent staff members also have other jobs, we will most often be in contact with them via phone or email. In light of all of this, please be patient if it takes longer than normal for us to reply to phone calls, emails or messages on the forums. We will do our best to get back to you in a timely manner.

As many may know, this story has already made the rounds on the internet. I've personally seen comments from a number of motorcycle and scooter message boards, as well as many car forums. We appreciate everyone's concern for Josh and thank you all for the good will. A Google search now turns up 10 pages of hits. Pictures of the accident scene have also made it around, so I won't include any here right now. We're gathering up all of the pictures and other relevant information now to give to Josh's lawyer. If anyone has any pictures or specific, provable, relevant information, please send them to us.

Because of the enormous popularity of this story, it will not be possible for me to go to every forum to post this message or any updates or replies. Because of that, I will post this message, any updates and replies to inquiries on the Scoot! Magazine forum and a few others that I am already a member of. Anyone who wishes to help out and repost this and other messages on other forums is welcome and encouraged to.

**On a side note, please leave ClubLexus.com alone, it was only one member who made a mistake, not the entire forum.**

Anyone who would like to donate to Josh's fund is welcome and would be greatly appreciated. Below, you will find a link to Josh's Scooter-Relief.com fund, which has already raised over $5000 to help with his medical bills. Scooter-Relief is a non-profit organization run by volunteers that collects and distributes money to scooterists who have been injured or otherwise require help. If anyone is not comfortable donating online, checks may be made out to Scoot! Magazine and mailed to:

Scoot! Magazine
re: Josh Roger's Accident
P.O. Box 9605
San Jose, CA 95157

Be sure to write "Josh's Relief Fund" in the memo so we make sure that it gets to him. Any cards or gifts may also be sent to Scoot! and we will hand deliver them to Josh.

Some useful links:

Scooter Relief
http://scooter-relief.org/

Josh's Fund:
http://scooter-relief.org/node/31

Managing Editor April Whitney's Blog with more details and pictures:
http://www.scootmagazine.com/blog.php

Scoot! Magazine's Contact Page
http://www.scootmagazine.com/contact_us.php

Scoot! Magazine Forums:
http://www.scootmagazine.com/forum.php
(Josh's thread is under "Questions and Comments for Scoot!")

We at Scoot! thank you all for your support during this unfortunate accident. Josh will try to be back on his laptop as soon as he's able to reply to emails, but it may be a while. He has been overwhelmed by your efforts so far and sends his deepest thanks.

Thank you,

Scott Evans at Scoot! Magazine

http://www.scootmagazine.com/
(408)-294-4292
scott@scootmagazine.com
Please note that he posted a comment about Club Lexus about mid post. If you're interested the full thread can be read at http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/vie...=300404#300404