Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Fender Rolling, Shaving, Cutting, Pulling....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-08, 06:03 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't forget, we're gonna need a venue too
Old 03-10-08, 07:04 PM
justinSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I emailed the tire rack today to see how much it would cost to rent the roller. They sell it for 260 dollars so I'm guessing it wouldn't be much at all for rental.
Old 03-11-08, 10:09 AM
Signal_jp
Lead Lap

rental fee ranges from $30 to $50

if you got some friends, just pitch in money together and purchase one. it comes in handy and over time it will pay for itself. heck you can even rent it out yourself to others for like $20
Old 03-11-08, 11:07 AM
justinSC
Pole Position

Well the tirerack tells me that they no longer rent this and it's only up for sale for 260 dollars plus shipping. I really have no reason to buy one of these, does anyone know of any other sites that rent them? Also, if anyone has someone that can do this for a price I'd like to know too. My car is fine to drive by myself but I'm getting alot of rubbing right now with someone else in the car so I'd like to get this taken care of ASAP.
Old 03-11-08, 11:22 AM
pavelk313
Driver School Candidate

1)justinSC
2)kalristo
3)lexant
4)Pavelk313
5)
Old 03-11-08, 12:01 PM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Here you guys go: http://www.rollyourfender.com/rentalpakage.html
I was browsing NorCal section and noticed you needed a fender roller. It's $50 rental fee and a $250 deposit in case you lose/damage the equipment. Check the rental info on the site above.
This includes everything you need: roller, heat gun, pad.
Post pics and Good Luck... Just take your time!!!
Old 03-11-08, 12:34 PM
justinSC
Pole Position

I'm sure we could get some people to pitch in for that! As for a venue someone's garage would probably be best. Mine is so cluttered right now we can't even fit one of our cars in! Motorcycles, workout equipment, and a ton of boxes are impeding the way. So long as we keep this meet small would anyone have a garage we could do this in? I'd still like there to be at least one person there who's done it before there for guidance if anyone can chime in?
Old 03-11-08, 06:41 PM
kalristo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i live in a small house so count my garage out
but i am willing to throw in coin to rent!
Old 03-11-08, 07:01 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have access to a fender roller if the guy ever calls me back. I'm sure he'll rent it out for a good price.

I'm a self proclaimed expert on fender shaving, but I rarely do rolling since the potential for a problem is always there.

You guys can't treat rolling as an exact science. It takes skill, and all cars are different, so that doesn't mean if you roll one car right that all other cars will be the same. I can't tell you how many newbies I read get on the Lexus forums telling people to roll fenders since they did it "no Problem" on their Honda. Let me tell you the 2GS rear fender sheetmetal is 3 times as thick and the Lexus Paint is also thicker than a Honda. You gotta factor stuff like that in.

On the 2GS for aggressive clearance issues I would say shaving is the only way to go. But on the 2IS the sheetmetal is thin, so rolling may be a good option.

Last thing, there is a process I go through to tell you whether rolling or shaving is better for your clearance issue. And on the front fenders of the 2GS I can tell 98% of the rubbing problems DO NOT require a fender roller. Most of the clearance issues are tweeking the tabs and inner liner.

So before you guys jump in and think that rolling will fix your rubbing issues, you need to analyze and identify EXACTLY where you are rubbing. I'm speaking mainly about rub issues on the front fender on the 2GS, but other models/years may have similar issues.

I've worked on so many members cars over the past five years, you can guess I am not up to volunteering my time or my garage to do a ton of cars.

Those of you that have worked on your cars at my place know I have the tools and some work space, but due to my current family priorities I have no time.

I wouldn't mind setting up a "fender clearance 101" mini meet and start off with educating the local members. I can also help anaylize and determine what your rub issues are or aren't. After that assessment, we can see what your options are to fix it, and who can do it for you or if you want to DIY, I'll give you all the "How To" info. Dunno where I will find the time, but I think it's better for me to pas on my knowledge to others, than to have everybody go to me when they find out I do this stuff.

Again I have access to a pro fender roller and sources for shaving.

Here's my car as a reference:

295/25-20 on 20 x 11 rims in the rear. Near flush with NO fender pulling, NO tire wearing excessive camber, just a properly done shave and ABSOLUTELY no rubbing no matter how low I decide to drop the car.

Let's see how many are interested in a fender clearance 101 meet and I'll see if I can come up with a location and a time.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-11-08 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-11-08, 07:55 PM
justinSC
Pole Position

RMMGS4,

I'm glad you decided to chime in here as I've always been a huge fan of your car... it's stunning. On my SC I can tell you it's most definitely rubbing just the rears because of the agressive offset with the spacers. As I stated in my first post I have absolutely no experience with this whatsoever but I'd like to get this taken care of ASAP. It's really not too bad when I drive by myself, but I carpool to class and with the additional weight of one passenger I have to drive like an old lady not to rub. I'm definitely game for this little meet and if you have someone that can do the work I would definitely pay to get this done as time is a factor, I have to drive this car daily.
Old 03-11-08, 08:37 PM
kalristo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 im driving to WA at the end of march, im throwing on my brothers G35 wheels but he may give me his ruffracing wheels from what i hear, the guys rolling on g35s have rolled their fenders
Old 03-11-08, 10:24 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by justinSC
Yep but so far it's just me and you. Anyone else out there?
Meeh!!

Let's see how many are interested in a fender clearance 101 meet and I'll see if I can come up with a location and a time.

Im down, would love to roll my fenders! Im down for a fender roll meet! count me in!!!! Could always pre-roll them for wheels in the future
Old 03-11-08, 10:29 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

1)justinSC
2)kalristo
3)lexant
4)Pavelk313
5)iialcii
Old 03-11-08, 10:50 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

rolled all around already...Glen will be contacting you for a shaving day

Rears are much harder to roll then average on SC's double thickness for those that didn't know. Fronts are cake, rears are pain.

I was actually thinking of buying a fender roller...I know enough bimmer people that need there fenders rolled...and if you charge a small fee to roll fenders you'll make your money back in no time.
Old 03-11-08, 11:29 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Baoser
Rears are much harder to roll then average on SC's double thickness for those that didn't know. Fronts are cake, rears are pain.
My point exactly George. Thanks for backing up my comment. I know there are people who have "SUCCESSFULLY" rolled their GS or SC rear lips, but there are far too many that will see their paint cracking after a few months or years, and by that point it's too late to warn others, and more then likely they won't post their mis-fortune.

Anyone who tells you that they can roll your fenders no problem, ask them if they will warrantee that the paint won't crack. Let me see how many people are willing to sign up for that "In Writing".

So I'm not saying it can't be done, but who can you trust?

On another point, if you need every bit of clearance for your Hella Flush set -up, then shaving will get you more clearance than rolling.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-11-08 at 11:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Fender Rolling, Shaving, Cutting, Pulling....