Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

De Anza Community College

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 08:27 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default De Anza Community College

I just want to get some input about the school. How many people here on this forum attend De anza? How do you guys like it there? Tell me what you guys think of the place

Thanks
Old 04-02-08, 09:07 PM
justinSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Defintely a good school. I went to west valley for a year and didn't really do a thing. I think de anza is way more focused. They offer alot of classes and I love the quarter system. Great auto program too Me, Kalving, and Long go there. Park in the flint lot
Old 04-02-08, 09:34 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Are you asking specifically on Auto program? or other programs? DeAnza and Skyline community colleges seem like the only public schools in Bay Area where you can still learn trade skills.

I attended DeAnza's auto program for a few intro courses just for personal knowledge. It was really good, well tought, and if you pay attention you'll no longer be as ignorant as a lot of weekend motorheads that are on the internetz forumz.

If you do the lab classes, you can even work on your own car if you want (All exercises can be done on school demo cars/demo parts). Lots of lifts and full equipment available to checkout.
They do threaten that you'd better be able to finish what ever you're doing by the end of the lab period. They say if you don't finish at the end of the period, they'll tow your car out to the parking lot one way or anther but I think that's probably an exaggeration if you really do something catastrophic to your car.
Old 04-02-08, 09:44 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

I'm pretty much looking for a very broad review of the school. I dont know what i would do there right now but i may consider going to de anza next year. i want to know what the students think of the school and their experiences so far.

I heard de anza is full of asians
West valley is full of blondes?

True or false?
Old 04-02-08, 09:46 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

EZ school and nice enviornment. Cupertino is an expensive city and filled with a lot of Asians, just like Irvin in my opinion.
Old 04-02-08, 09:49 PM
justinSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99

I heard de anza is full of asians
West valley is full of blondes?

True or false?

Sooo true. This is one of the major reasons I wasn't focused at west valley haha Honestly de anza is a wayyyy better school than west valley overall.
Old 04-02-08, 10:39 PM
510 gs300
Driver School Candidate

i say skip both and go to sj city or evergreen....its easier
Old 04-03-08, 12:15 AM
bloo1987
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think i might go to De Anza next year also or go to SJ city.

Last edited by bloo1987; 04-03-08 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-03-08, 12:44 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I was there for a while. It's a good place to go. I miss the abundance of parking there. I am constantly hunting for parking spots now at SJSU.
Old 04-03-08, 11:45 AM
510 gs300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sleeper408
I was there for a while. It's a good place to go. I miss the abundance of parking there. I am constantly hunting for parking spots now at SJSU.
i feel you on that one..im always lurking around that 10th street garage on the prowl for people walking to their cars.
Old 04-03-08, 11:49 AM
Signal_jp
Lead Lap

went to de anza for 2 years, got my AA and now im at sjsu. they are very helpful and offer a lot of classes. only thing i didnt like was the commute.
Old 04-03-08, 01:32 PM
kalristo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

deanza is pretty chill hella asian girls and by asian i mean foreign
deanza is supposed to be the "harvard" of community colleges hahah so a counselor said. but for real deanza is a "looked up upon" school when transferring to a UC or CSU
Old 04-03-08, 01:34 PM
ISmy350JDM
Pole Position

im not familiar with that community college...but community schools are great preperation for moving up in jobs and in university level as well.

sometimes the community classes are more smaller and personal and more intimate that you learn better...but it all depends on the teachers and teaching structures.

i myself went from community college of southern nevada...got my associates then went on to university of nevada las vegas.

any education and thoughts on it is great so more pwoer to you!
Old 04-03-08, 01:35 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Signal_jp
went to de anza for 2 years, got my AA and now im at sjsu. they are very helpful and offer a lot of classes. only thing i didnt like was the commute.
If i go to De Anza i would do the transfer program, So 2 years and transfer into a 4 year college. But i dont know if i would transfer to SJSU or somewhere outside the bay area. I heard De Anza has a very good transfer program and is looked upon highly by other schools.

Did you have any problems going from the quarter system into a semester system at sjsu?

Thanks
Old 04-03-08, 02:27 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't have any problems switching from quarterly system to semesters. I kind of liked the fast pace. Classes are one month longer with semesters. With De Anza, you start the Fall quarter later (late Sept. vs. middle August), and finish the Spring quarter later also (early July vs. early June). The problem I had when I was at De Anza was the fact that most of my friends were atending out of town colleges or SJSU. In fall, no one wanted to hang out because they had already started school. And when they had summer vacation and would call me up to go to the beach, etc. I would be in class!

Quick Reply: De Anza Community College