Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Good service shop in Peninsula ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 04:11 PM
ny888
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good service shop in Peninsula ?

Can anyone recommend a good service shop in the Peninsula like Exact in Milpitas? Need 60k service on my GS.
Old 05-19-08, 04:50 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

sent you a PM, let me know if there are any questions.
Old 05-19-08, 08:01 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure others on the board would be interested in a good shop too. why pm?
Old 05-19-08, 10:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by raytseng
sent you a PM, let me know if there are any questions.
please explain
Old 05-19-08, 10:35 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

sorry for the cryptic post.
No super secrets here.
I sent him a message containing my own experiences at certain shops, some of the shops were recommendations given to me from other CL members, so did not want to step on anyone's toes based on my own experiences in case the other members have some kind of loyalty with the shop they recommended.

The short of it:
There are a lot of good shops around, regular maintenance jobs are not terribly difficult or mysterious. It seems like this is the internet age where many shops use AllData (both for work instructions and hourly rates). Any place that is properly managed and has competent people can follow instructions from AllData and do the work properly. And to be realistic, the shop usually will task regular maintenance work to a junior employee anyway. Only when something goes wrong or you need some complex troubleshooting is where a master mechanic probably is useful to you.

However, at the same time there are differences, the biggest factors probably are in in price, convenience, service, and sometimes honesty. For price, AllData is the equalizer, all the shops using AD tend to give you similar time estimates , you will need to just see which shoprate is lower, and if they budge on the time estimates if you can bundle work.
Finally, I gave some advice on bringing your own parts/fluids that you can buy from CL vendors (e.g. carson/sewell). Parts never seem to be discounted and is where you can save significantly over then picking one good shop over another one (esp. if they both use AllData).

Ok, so I still didn't give a single rec yet. So now I will. You can search on like yelp.com to weed out a few favorites, and most of what I recommended were the same high ratings earners from yelp.

Last edited by raytseng; 05-19-08 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-26-08, 03:30 PM
mjf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend Yarnell's in Mountain View.
They only service Nissan/Infiniti, Toyota/Lexus.
They are a big shop (10/12 bay) and I have been taking my cars there for years.
I have a 95 300zx TwinTurbo, in which I had them completely modify..pumping out near 600Hp. I have modified many cars and they know what are doing.
I also get my 2000 4-Runner, 2006 Lexus GX470, and 2008 IS serviced and modified there.
They are honest people and do great work and are reasonable.
They can also get parts for you.
You should ask for Ed or Mike Yarnell and tell them Dr. Mike set you and they will take good care of you and your car.