Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Good shop to repair fiberglass in the Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 03:14 AM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Good shop to repair fiberglass in the Bay Area

I wasn't paying attention and accidnetly hit the curb...damaging my fibe rglass front bumper. Looking for a good shop that repair fiberglass hopefully in the Bay area (Oakland to San Jose) Thanks
Old 07-04-08, 03:02 PM
GSing430
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

how bad is it? why not the shop that had your kit painted?
Old 07-04-08, 03:14 PM
1NewLexIS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kreative customs in san jose
Old 07-05-08, 10:49 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whipple auto body is what its called i believe in Hayward,ca. From fremont area, 880 north. Exit whipple. turn right. youll see it on your right side right after circuit city and etc.
Old 03-27-10, 01:00 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Bringing this thread back to life: any other recommendations for a fiberglass repair place?

I recently bought some rear canards made of FRP off a CL member and was essentially ripped off. The "10/10 flawless" pieces turned out to be chipped, scraped, and even cracked. Pics below. Looking to have it all fixed and in mint condition before installing. Any thoughts?

Old 03-27-10, 06:12 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A suggestion when looking for a Fiberglass repair shop is to start with one that specializes on fiberglass which would be . . i

A Corvette repair shop !

PM Martini3 for the place he recently went to. I talked to him and saw the work, but forgot the name of the place.

The work was good, the paint match was good and the guy even improved the fitment of the kit. Most shops will just paint what you give em, which is what happened to Martini3's rear skirt the first time. Now that it was damaged, this shop he used "knows" fiberglass and that fit can vary, so they took the extra step to make sure fit was good. End of the day, the damaged skirt was repaired for the best price quote that he could find and it was repaired and fit BETTER than new.

Make sure to ask Martini3 to post a reply here. I've said enough.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-28-10 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-27-10, 08:23 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

see my review here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nor...ew-thread.html

martini3

Last edited by martini3; 03-28-10 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-28-10, 01:01 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by martini3
well, I was gonna chime in but RMMGS4 beat me to it.

To make a long story short, I always back into a parking space first and when I did that, I went in too far.

My rear WALD lip (which is bolted onto the OEM rear bumper), got caught on the edge of the concrete ledge.

When I pressed the gas, my car got stuck so I pressed harder and "Oh My",
I heard the horrible sound of a loud crack.

I went behind and looked at the damage and as a result, there were two massive cracks on the Fiberglass WALD rear lip.

The next day, I called a few body shops around SJ to repair the entire lip and they didn't go into specific details on how exactly they would repair it. They just seemed not that knowledgable in repairing aftermarket bodykit parts (fiberglass).

So I thought about it and asked my other non-Lexus friends and they suggested a Corvette body shop.

Well, I knew of a shop that I pass by frequently and I called them.

I met "Chico" who was specialized in fiberglass, primer and restoring classic vettes to current models.

I asked him if he could repair in a way that it would be like brand new again.

This is what he said:
- I will repair the cracks and make it stronger back to original form
- I will bond the cracks, sand and prime the entire lip cause it has other rocks chips and scratches. No sense of doing it in different spots when I can do the re-do the entire lip.
- I will re-edge the inside of the upper lip so that fit snug and tight
- I will use the OEM paint code to paint the entire lip (97-99%) match.
- I will use a professional two-sided tape so that there are no gaps around the perimeter of the lip flushed and snug up against the OEM bumper.

NOTE: The original bodyshop who installed my bodykit used silicon gel (liquid) at certain spots and as a result of that over the years, the kit would warp and there would be empty holes around the perimeter of the kit. I dindn't know that but "Chico" explained that to me and was right.

I asked him about his background and the tools at the shop:
- How long have u been doing this type of work? --> 25 years
- Do you have the necessary tools to get it done properly --> YES
- What else do you do at the shop? --> rip out old deteriorated vette interiors and put in new ones. I also do bodywork as well.

I found my man. Who would have guessed an import bringing in a high-end luxury car to get fiberglass work done. I was the only Lex among the sea of rare classis vette to newer ones at the shop.

- next day I brought my car to shop --> 30 minutes to un-install the bolt on rear WALD lip
- one week later, the repair, mold, sand and prime was done - he called to ask for money for the paint
- one week later, lip was installed (about an hour) and paid for the rest of the work - I was out the door.

The shop has on-going projects so he did some stages of the lip and waited for it to dry and worked on the other projects. He came back to the lip work and finished it a timely manner. In the beginning, I also said "NO RUSH" cause I didn't leave my car w/ him and he had all the time in the world to get it done.

I stopped by again to check on the work and "Chico" was working on re-doing an the interior of a '67 vette. I asked him about the that. He said, the owner paid $10K to another shop previously to have them do the interior. The owner was dissatissfied w/ the work and so now, the owner specifically brought it to this shop to have them do the job the right way. This is a Corvette Shop and that's what they do and specialize in.

That was the beauty of bolt-on bodykit parts. you can leave it at the shop and be on your merry way. So if you don't really have an immediate rush timeline, then the work will get done.

As far as the paint, no matter what body shop you go to, the paint will never be 100% match so you'll have to accept that.

But if you need more than fiberglass repair such as bodywork that involves metal, you'll have to ask them if they'll be able to do that and how long will your car be at the shop. It's kind of tight w/ all the vettes they have there. A few of the other workers came out and admired my car so i knew that it was cool w/ them. They didn't even say anything about an outside car at their shop cause they have the right people w/ the right tools to get work done properly.

But for minor fiberglass repair, it was like finding a needle in a haystack when I met this guy. I couldn't be happier w/ the price and workmanship.

Sorry, it was a long story but I had to describe the details cause I'm kind of OCD about these things. I know some of you also with the expensive modified aftermarket kits.

PM me if you have any further questions.

I've already gave a heads up to "Chico" so just mention my name "Tee" w/ the Lex and he'll know.

martini3
Wow! Thanks for the replyman, although I wish you wrote a little bit more. Can you PM me Chico's contact info? Sounds like the perfect guy for me, being borderline OCD myself.
Old 03-28-10, 01:09 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Nevermind, just saw it in the Body Shop Review thread. Thanks again Tee!
Old 03-28-10, 11:18 AM
madness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Brociouz, just as a second option read my review on Active Auto Body in Sunnyvale, they have also fixed my Carson Fiber glass bumper twice. They do great work as well. My car is currently in the shop as someone decided that my rear passenger door was a good spot to back into.
Old 03-28-10, 11:52 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the tip madness - I'll check them out too. I stopped by a collision repair place (Car West Auto Body in Dublin) yesterday and the guy, who admitted he wasn't an estimator, was thinking it would be ~$500. $500 in repair work on a set of "perfect" canards canards I paid $100 for would suck.