Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Alert: Fog Overlays are ILLEGAL will get u in SERIOUS TROUBLE

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 02:44 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are kidding me? Some cars don't even have fog lights, so what's the big about having overlays on them? The State/City must really be hurting for money.
Old 08-21-08, 02:45 PM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. I don't know about the rest of you but I know I feel much safer knowing my tax dollars are being spent shaking down cars for window tint instead of going after the hoodlums that are holding up restaurants with guns.
Old 08-21-08, 03:29 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Okay I hate it when people bash on law enforcement. But heres the deal of why you probably got pulled over. The officers involved in your legal detainment basically had nothing to do. They were doing what we call "hunting" its being proactive when no calls are coming over the air. He basically wanted to see if you had any illegal modifications...which you did. California law says you cannot have any windows tinted in the front, period. it apparently obstructs your view yada yada, get over it, its the law. and the blue overlays...please dont play the naive roll.... but hey if the glass was blue and you didnt use that overlay kit....it would have been legal =)

Would I pull you over for it? no.... would I use it for probable cause? yes. A simple tinted windows pull-over can escalate to a stolen motor, then to you having a warrant, etc. From your experience it looks like these deputies obviously didnt have a clue about the car...so thats why they seem like idiots to you. (well...to be honest to me too.)

He found nothing after running you in the system so all you got was a simple fix-it ticket. Fix the probs, get it signed off, pay the 10-14 dollar "processing fee" and be on with ur life. Trust me if you had a warrant you wouldnt have gotten the ticket....they wouldnt EVEN care about your car.....its all about finding the real criminals....and oh yeah making a bit of money for the county and city also.

sorry to read about your situation I really am because I feel you were "played with" with their comments...I used to be in your position many times and I still till this day question why the extra comments were necessary. I still hate some of the CVC rules and regs because frankly they make no sense.

"A police officer speaks...............

Well, Mr. Citizen, it seems you've figured me out. I fit neatly into the category where you've placed me. I'm stereotyped, standardized, characterized, classified, grouped, and always typical. Unfortunately, the reverse is true. I can never figure you out. From birth, you teach your children that I'm the bogeyman, if they do anything bad I'll take them away then you're shocked when they identify/associate with my traditional enemy... the criminal! You accuse me of going to easy on criminals - until I catch your kids doing wrong. You may take an hour for lunch and several coffee breaks each day, but point me out as a lazy for having one cup. You pride yourself on your manners, but think nothing of disrupting my meals with your troubles.

You go mental with the guy who cuts you off in traffic, but let me catch you doing the same thing and I'm picking on you. You know all the traffic laws...but you've never gotten a single ticket you deserve. You shout "IDIOT" if you observe me driving fast to a call that could end my life, but raise the roof if I take more than ten seconds to respond to your complaint.

You call it part of my job if someone strikes me, but call it police brutality if I strike back. You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a tooth or your doctor how to take out an appendix, yet you are always willing to give me pointers on the law and telling me how to do my job. You talk to me in a manner that would get you a bloody nose from anyone else, but expect me to take it without batting an eye. You yell that something's got to be done to fight crime, but you can't be bothered to get involved.

You have no use for me at all, but of course it's OK if I change a flat for your wife, deliver your child in the back of the patrol car, or perhaps save your son's life with mouth to mouth breathing, or work many hours overtime looking for your lost daughter.

So Mr. Citizen, you can stand there on your soapbox and rant and rave about the way I do my work, calling me every name in the book, but never stop to think that your property, family, or maybe even your life depends on me or one of my buddies.

Yes, Mr. Citizen, it's me the cop!"

The Author of this article was Trooper Mitchell Brown of the Virginia State Police. He was killed in the line of duty two months after writing the article......
Old 08-21-08, 05:06 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kokonutjc
Damn that sucks Johnson...I was in that area last weak at the new asain grocery store along DeAnza. Looks like that area is off limits for me.

Also, saw your car Tuesday. We went to grab lunch at Lee's Sandwhich.

jeff
i work in that plaza. office next to the dry cleaners.
Old 08-21-08, 05:17 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

my windows were down so he did not pull me over becuase i had tinted windows. i always drive with thtme down on surface streets. i had these on since i lived in LA area which theyre not as **** about everything.

the main reason he pulled me over was : Blue fog light tint.
windows was jsut somehthing else he found out during his review.

not really bashing or hating on cops altought htey do always pull me over and waste a lot of time... but isnt there something better to do than fix it tickets? there are people running red lights and certain woman drivers (sorry) cutting people off and causing accidents.

but the reason why i was mad was becuase of "blue fog light tint" it became a full search. when obiously the car was not stolen when everything is in my name.

Technically speaking, if my fog light was not functional.. .he cant give me a ticekt right? cause its not really a fog light. u can treat it as a decal????

O, and when i was pulled over, he parked his car in the middle of the road, causing a 6 car traffic behind. and they had to carefully go around him. out of the 6 cars. 4 of them were BMW / Mercedes, and had tint like LIMO. park in the parking lot about 10 cars down and its okay when older guys dressed in suits come out with a briefcase to have "Limo Tint" but its not okay for younger guys dressed in a suit coming out with a briefcase to have "dark tint"

its honestly rare to see high end car stock cars with dark fronts get pulled over. instead u see all the honda civics get pulled over.

i understand its all illegal and i'll need to comply... but yeah.

im really just unpleased that cuase of hte fog i got pulled over. I was never given anythign for the fog.. can i say the ebay guy told me it was legal and im just a new driver please have mercy?????? haha jk
Old 08-21-08, 06:02 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
NOT ca cops.. but SHERIFF FTL

cthru, you the one who works at Broadway Bistro right? your white IS is hot man I wonder why he didnt ask about your wheels and drop

sorry to hear you get a stupid ticket..and I think that sheriff who made a bad right turn is embarrassed so they pull you over and try to chat..lol. and tried to act as a tough cop by finding illegal mods on your car..what a jerk..
hmmm what broadway bistro? lol
u spotted my car at the Lees Sandwich Square in Cupertino once.
but i work at a commercial investmetn firm so doensnt really soun dlike broadway bistro. haha

if its the same car ur talking about, thanks! come see it at eos!
Old 08-21-08, 06:11 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CthruIS350
my windows were down so he did not pull me over becuase i had tinted windows. i always drive with thtme down on surface streets. i had these on since i lived in LA area which theyre not as **** about everything.

the main reason he pulled me over was : Blue fog light tint.
windows was jsut somehthing else he found out during his review.

not really bashing or hating on cops altought htey do always pull me over and waste a lot of time... but isnt there something better to do than fix it tickets? there are people running red lights and certain woman drivers (sorry) cutting people off and causing accidents.

but the reason why i was mad was becuase of "blue fog light tint" it became a full search. when obiously the car was not stolen when everything is in my name.

Technically speaking, if my fog light was not functional.. .he cant give me a ticekt right? cause its not really a fog light. u can treat it as a decal????

O, and when i was pulled over, he parked his car in the middle of the road, causing a 6 car traffic behind. and they had to carefully go around him. out of the 6 cars. 4 of them were BMW / Mercedes, and had tint like LIMO. park in the parking lot about 10 cars down and its okay when older guys dressed in suits come out with a briefcase to have "Limo Tint" but its not okay for younger guys dressed in a suit coming out with a briefcase to have "dark tint"

its honestly rare to see high end car stock cars with dark fronts get pulled over. instead u see all the honda civics get pulled over.

i understand its all illegal and i'll need to comply... but yeah.

im really just unpleased that cuase of hte fog i got pulled over. I was never given anythign for the fog.. can i say the ebay guy told me it was legal and im just a new driver please have mercy?????? haha jk

Honestly I would have let you go....UNLESS I was on field training...otherwise known as the FTO process...its when a newbie cop rides with a veteran and is ordered to stop everything and anything.....

but again bro I know where ur coming from. its just annoying to be pulled over. Cops honestly would rather deal with more high intense calls then a fixer ticket.

Last edited by AlphaJZS; 08-21-08 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-21-08, 07:26 PM
1NewLexIS300
Lexus Test Driver

damn that sucks........they sound really strict about this
Old 08-21-08, 08:43 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa, they are really strict there.
Old 08-21-08, 10:03 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Im done with getting pulled over. I dont even go around that area unless Im a passenger in someone else's car. The sheriffs around West Valley college are pretty notorious for pulling over the lightest modified cars for whatever they can get them for.
Old 08-21-08, 10:31 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Aww crap, im going to be around that area a lot in the next year or so....
Old 08-21-08, 11:30 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CthruIS350
3 Sheriff Vehicles and 20-25 minutes later:

C1: your missing emblems why did you take it off? so you can trick us on what vehicle you drive?
He seriously said this??? How did you not keep from busting up

Originally Posted by PandaGS430
Probally the wrong place to start all the "why we pull you over stuff". I think we all know here in California that this state is way too over-regulated and too many tax payer dollars are spent on regulating things that should be considered irrelevant. I dont feel its my place to say how how most serious crimes are handled but a law biding citizen should have the right to mod his car (within reason) without being hassled. I just think the system sucks and these silly laws have gotten a little out of hand.
Old 08-21-08, 11:59 PM
butterbeer
Pole Position

wow wtf? lol, is it like illegal to not have emblems on your car and decals on your windows? thats so lame lol...thats like saying colored lugs are illegal because they may cause a distraction on the road HAH
Old 08-22-08, 12:42 AM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SmokeyES35
well you cant have any sort of blue lights on a car apparently. I remember getting a fix it ticket way back in 98 for having blue film over the fog lights. The cop gave me grief that only police officers or law enforcement or something like that are able to have blue lights.
I've heard this as well. But can anybody, an LEO perhaps, expand on this?
Old 08-22-08, 12:43 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

you sure you don't got any turbo, or what they call it, NOS? <-- OMG....

Sheriff...Sheriff...Sheriff...guess they dont have anything else to do....

sucks....I feel your pain J.....

SO...that means YELLOW tint is ILLEGAL ALSO????

Last edited by kickin8; 08-22-08 at 12:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Alert: Fog Overlays are ILLEGAL will get u in SERIOUS TROUBLE