Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Goodbye to my CF TRD Hood.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 10:19 PM
madness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodbye to my CF TRD Hood.

Well I took off for the weekend to Vegas knowing that I was going gamble and lose some money. I came back home to be surprised by my lovely hood. My 6 month old TRD CF Hood flew off the car as the car was being driven to pick me up that day. Luckily no one was hurt (that's really what's most important) but my car well its seen better days. Pictures say it all. No I didn't have hood pins because I was assured I would not need them for the TRD hood. Looking at the hood and the aftermath the corner of the hood just separated and I'm not sure if hood pins would have helped much. It may have helped reduce the mayhem but honestly it looked like it was a ticking time bomb. All I can say is that I'm a sad panda.

Old 08-27-08, 10:22 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Oh man sorry to hear that Manny. Luckily you're not hurt. That's the most important part. Hope you can get it fixed soon! EOS is coming.
Old 08-27-08, 10:28 PM
madness
Pole Position

Well I wasn't driving the car when it happened but I'm glad no one was injured. Good thing the car can be repaired (the hood is a goner though), I'm just waiting to her back from AAA to see what my next move is. My car is currently at a local shop, Active Auto Body in Sunnyvale. I will be posting a full review of the shop once they complete my work. So far its been a good experience with them. They are willing to do custom work and seem to have a lot of experience with Fiberglass and CF.
Old 08-27-08, 11:28 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

ouch....that sucks....

it's painful to see.......

thank god noone's got hurt....
Old 08-27-08, 11:47 PM
alwayzspeedin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so how did it fly off did the latch break
Old 08-28-08, 12:05 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear that Manny! Get it fixed fast. EOS is coming up real fast!
Old 08-28-08, 12:06 AM
madness
Pole Position

No if you look at the first picture, it snapped from the hinge where it was bolted to the figs prop bar. You can see a small black dot, that is the adhesive that was suppose to hold that whole corner together. I'm no TRD engineer but that does not look like its enough to hold the shell and the CF layer together. It looks like poor craftsmanship to me which has me pretty mad being that I paid so much for the TRD name. So the hood snapped and flipped from the driver side to the passenger side slamming on the passenger fender.

Originally Posted by xxxalwayzspeedinxxx
so how did it fly off did the latch break
Old 08-28-08, 12:16 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by madness
No if you look at the first picture, it snapped from the hinge where it was bolted to the figs prop bar. You can see a small black dot, that is the adhesive that was suppose to hold that whole corner together. I'm no TRD engineer but that does not look like its enough to hold the shell and the CF layer together. It looks like poor craftsmanship to me which has me pretty mad being that I paid so much for the TRD name. So the hood snapped and flipped from the driver side to the passenger side slamming on the passenger fender.
That sucks! Someone along the way lied! I'd be pissed too!
Old 08-28-08, 12:40 AM
1NewLexIS300
Lexus Test Driver

it also happened to Phil at ADS mobile with his TRD hood.......he got it fixed and used hood pins after
Old 08-28-08, 12:48 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 249 Posts

damn that sucks manny. that hood looked so sweet with the way you had it faded too.
Old 08-28-08, 02:39 AM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

that sucks manny, good thing nobody got hurt, hope to her up and running by EOS!
Old 08-28-08, 02:42 AM
alwayzspeedin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by madness
will you be contacting trd and see what they have to say about it...threaten to sue them see if you can get a free hood..start a claim with their department..we live in the US we can sue anyone now adays
Old 08-28-08, 08:44 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxalwayzspeedinxxx
will you be contacting trd and see what they have to say about it...threaten to sue them see if you can get a free hood..start a claim with their department..we live in the US we can sue anyone now adays
Tim, that's kinda far fetched as the part is a TRD Japan part. TRD Japan and TRD USA are seperate entities. Since TRD Japan does not offer that hood here in the USA, and TRD USA never sold it, those claims to sue are null and void.
Old 08-28-08, 10:02 AM
madness
Pole Position

Ryan, you are right. I don't think I can do anything. I'm just waiting to hear from my insurance company. I was told they would replace my hood as long as I have the invoice. Which I do! I don't think I can get another TRD hood for the price that I got it from Carson last time since pricing has gone up for CF. I may consider another brand or just stick to the stock one. Now it's just the waiting game for me. I just know the car needs to be ready for EOS.

Originally Posted by flipside909
Tim, that's kinda far fetched as the part is a TRD Japan part. TRD Japan and TRD USA are seperate entities. Since TRD Japan does not offer that hood here in the USA, and TRD USA never sold it, those claims to sue are null and void.
Old 08-31-08, 10:47 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Whoa! Same exact thing happened to me about a week ago! Beware the ides of August I guess.

Quick Reply: Goodbye to my CF TRD Hood.